Thread: Better the Devil You Know...

Better the Devil You Know...

Being the upstanding American citizen that I am, I set about filing my taxes for this year. After spending a few hours calculating, grimacing, and rummaging through client receipts- I finally got it done. Paid Turbo Tax and hit "submit."

Only to have them reject my efile? Why? Because someone claimed me as a dependent and I KNOW who that someone is.

For the past few years my mother has been the most financially irresponsible sack of horse flesh I've ever encountered. Scratch that, make that her ENTIRE existence. Ever since I was young she couldn't balance a checkbook or live within her means if you tattooed "fiscal responsibility" to her eyelids and glued them shut. For these reasons, her credit is JACKED and at 50 years old, two bankruptcies later, she needed me to put an apartment in my name so she could have some place to live. (This isn't the first time I've done this either)

I agreed, but let her know that I would not be renewing this time as my fiancee and I have our own lives we're trying to lead and I just don't need to worry about another rental property that I don't live in.

Lo and behold, December rolls around (the lease is up in January) and of course she asks me to renew. I tell her no. All of a sudden she's pissed at me, claiming I owe her money for this or that. It got so out of hand I cut off contact with her completely. "Just make sure all of your stuff is moved out by the time you have to leave."

Being jobless (she depends on, and uses, her ex husband to pay her bills) I KNEW she didn't have the money to move elsewhere, putting down a deposit and everything- so I should NOT have been surprised when I called her to ask if she had claimed me as a dependent and she basically said "Well, you left me no choice."

No choice? Okay well we'll see how good tax fraud looks for you as far as choices go. I'm so angry I could spit. I know it will be resolved, but what kind of person can take and take take from someone and then get upset when they say they can't give anymore? And then try to screw that person to boot?!

UGH?!

Thanks for listening....I just needed to vent.

you can mail in your tax return, which will open up a dispute with the IRS, and your mother will either have to provide proof that she's entitled to claim you, or she'll have to pay back the money, plus interest, and possibly penalties... it will take longer to get your refund, but you'll get the full amount you are entitled, versus settling for filing as a dependent.

can't offer any advice on the family issues, though...
    Last edited by halfwaynowhere; February 26th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaynowhere View Post
    you can mail in your tax return, which will open up a dispute with the IRS, and your mother will either have to provide proof that she's entitled to claim you, or she'll have to pay back the money, plus interest, and possibly penalties... it will take longer to get your refund, but you'll get the full amount you are entitled, versus settling for filing as a dependent.

can't offer any advice on the family issues, though...
    Thanks halfway. I printed out the forms and am mailing them on Monday. I don't mind if it takes longer, it just sucks that she would resort to this.

There really is nothing to be said for the whole affair. I'll just continue to maintain no contact with her and keep it moving. I'm fortunate to have family in my life that I can depend on (my dad, little sister, aunts, etc) she's just not one of them.

I had the same fight with my mother last year on my 09 taxes. I lived with her 4 months and she claimed me.

in the end, I made her pay me what my tax return would've been.

I'm filing next week, and there's NO way she can claim me for 2010, since I lived on my own for half the year and now I'm living on campus at a government funded residental vocational school.

I hope your situation improves!

-Krissa
    Christina Sparrow

previous MW usernames: VioletStarLizard - lil'BuddhistWich - SunflowerWriter

I am a sparrow, the smallest of songbirds...

Sounds like my father's brilliant fiscal sense. Sorry this happened to you, I know how it feels to have someone like that for a parent.

Things will work out though and you can put it behind you.

My mother in law claimed my daughter the first year she was born. Told my hubby she would pay him back the money. We never saw a penny of it she had told him that he would go to jail if he claimed his own child. I called the IRS for days never able to get anyone. But believe me i called all day everyday for a week. If I had a car I would have been at the IRS office waiting to turn her in.

The mother part I understand that to. I didnt speak to my mother for 10 yrs because of the way she treated my children, husband and myself. You can only take so much and mine was out of control. The day she died I was so happy I didnt have to worry about her messing things up in my marriage and with my kids. She tried to split me and hubby up and tried to take my kids from me. After the court failed her she left me alone but I never felt safe from her. But 2 r 3 days after when I found out for real she was dead I cried so hard and for weeks because I never got that chance to may up with her that I thought I would get.

So just be ready if you cut of all ties with your mom you may have to live with the fact that you were not there, you didnt get your Goodbye. Thats what bugs me most we didnt get our Goodbye our last I love yous. Its hard to live with.... I wish you luck.

Sorry to hear that, it sounds hard.
    The good news is that the IRS will help you with your dispute.
    Be prepared with records of your residence and what-not.

The other stuff though, tough call and entirely yours to make.

TWM's Blog

Check out MWMagazine!
    MW FORUM GUIDE - Dreams and Divination + A Pagan's Life.

I have a similar situation. I left home at 22 years old. where have lived, because he could not rent an apartment. I will say this - the main thing is the desire. Let your mother decides their problems.