Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beings above the Gods?

I was thinking of that as well I just wanted to see if thee were any other known ideas besides Brahman. And wow I never knew that Kemeticism had that idea as well.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I think the Cosmos itself is a being, and the gods exist within it (as do we).

There are a class of deities called the 'Primeval Ones' in ancient Hurrian and Hittite beliefs..

they were thought to be the first generation of gods that came out of the Cosmos and were the fathers/mothers of the younger generations..which was also a metaphor for the forming of the Universe itself.
    Most of the oldest deities are remote and were praised for their great wisdom and long life...i suppose they were more transcendant..
    it's the younger gods that are the active deities in the myths and were most important in cult and daily life...

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Didn't know where to put this, but...

I was thinking today of something while at work (we were dead, so I could actually be chill and gather my thoughts lol). People...or at least the people I have come across seem to think that Gods are the highest beings in the known universe. But, I was thinking, what if there is a being that is even higher than that? What would it be? (Assuming you believe in God or Gods to begin with).

Did any of that make sense? If not I'll elaborate but if so, let me know what you think!
    That is exactly what I believe. I believe that there all God/desses emanate from one supreme being, which I refer to as the Divine. I think of the Cosmos as the Divine.
    Last edited by EponaCapaill; March 8th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
    "...You are a child of the universe;
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be..."

'Desiderata' Max Ehrmann 1927

Quote Originally Posted by Shaedema View Post
    From my perspective...yes there is something/someone beyond gods/goddesses. It is unknowable, but I believe there is evidence of its existence through Balance and the opposites we know so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    The Greeks had/have a philosophy about there being The One, who is kind of like a God bigger and greater than all the other gods. The One however, is pretty much unknowable to us and must be filtered down through one of the gods. Plato spoke about this in some of his writings. Don't quote me on this as I'm probably misrepresenting it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erebos View Post
    I think the Cosmos itself is a being, and the gods exist within it (as do we).
    This pretty much represents how I view things.
    "...You are a child of the universe;
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be..."

'Desiderata' Max Ehrmann 1927

I'm open to believing there's a being above the gods, but then, I don't hold the gods in very high regard.

Terry Pratchett Quote time!

'I have told this to few people, gentlemen, and I suspect never will again, but one day when I was a young boy on holiday in Uberwald I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, I'm sure you will agree, and even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that's when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.' ~ Lord Vetinari, Unseen Academicals

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Didn't know where to put this, but...

I was thinking today of something while at work (we were dead, so I could actually be chill and gather my thoughts lol). People...or at least the people I have come across seem to think that Gods are the highest beings in the known universe. But, I was thinking, what if there is a being that is even higher than that? What would it be? (Assuming you believe in God or Gods to begin with).

Did any of that make sense? If not I'll elaborate but if so, let me know what you think!
    Well, if it is true that there is more than one universe, than whatever is in charge of our universe would be above whoever runs our planet. And whatever made the multiverse would be above him ... repeat this pattern until you get to "everything". Or until your head hurts.

This idea is similar in a lot of cultures actually. As someone else mentioned, in Hinduism it's Brahman and all gods and goddesses are reflections of It (It being the divine stream of consciousness and not necessarily the god Brahman Himself) and in most Kemetic views, not just Kemetic Orthodoxy, but historically speaking, all gods and goddesses are reflections of Atum/Tem and/or even Nun/Nu, depending on the dynasty you're looking at. In Blackfoot culture, gods and goddesses are all reflections of Apistotooki, the divine stream of consciousness.

Then there's the monist view on things which is all gods and goddesses across all pantheons are reflections of One Source Who divides Itself into different deities so that we as humans have a better personal and cultural connection with It.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

The only group of beings that are quite clearly above the Gotds are . . . . . .
    the MW Administration. They wield the mighty hammer of qutnlisa.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKanik View Post
    The only group of beings that are quite clearly above the Gotds are . . . . . .
    the MW Administration. They wield the mighty hammer of qutnlisa.
    All praise the sacred banhammer!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast