Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Fun Little Question for All

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    Quite honestly for awhile i was under the impression that Euthanasia and assited suicide were the same thing. Reguardless I feel its wrong to make anyone suffer against thier will and they should be givin an option to "opt out" of life.
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

I know some people justify humanity's right to "put down" sick animals by referencing Christian theology -- that God gave humans dominion over the beasts, the plants of the field, etc. So they believe humans have been given divine authority to make life and death decisions in those areas.

But when it comes to euthanasia, they might say that only God has dominion over humanity, so only God has the right to take a human life. It's also a very narrow and, I believe, distorted interpretation of what was meant by "Thou shalt not kill" in the Ten Commandments.

As for legalizing euthanasia, I think it should be allowed in the medical profession under strict circumstances, perhaps for people with advanced and/or severely incapacitating diseases. I don't think we should negate it outright because there's a slim chance it MIGHT be misused by some ethics-less relative. Surely we can come up with ways to mitigate that possibility.

For me, any so-called ethic that forces sick people to live in horrible agony because we can't get it together to deal substantially with the long-shot "what-ifs" involved has no inherent morality.

One caveat: In general, I believe we all have the right to end our lives at any time for our own reasons. But I'm exempting people with mental illness from my part of the euthanasia discussion, because it's a much more convoluted issue. There is no doubt that severe mental illness can be agonizingly painful. I just think the lines are blurrier in that arena.

Thanks for the interesting topic!
    FeverTree

Personally I think it IS humane to euthanize "grandma". I think it should be perfectly legal for someone to be able to die peacefully instead of suffer until their final day (in the case of terminal illness). Of course, I've been told it already is done, but under the table within many medical settings.

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    This is the way i see it. By perserving life artifficially i.e. drugs, machines of any sort, in an attempt to lengthen a life violates the natural order. If we can perserve it we can terminate it. By lengthening the life the divine was gracious enough to give us we're abusing it. The balance has to be maintained it's critical to the flow of our universe. Again, this is IMO
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    I think it has to do with dogs and cats and other animals relative shortness of life compared to human beings. (Not applicable to long-lived animals such as certain turtles and parrots)
    I also think it has to do with the fact that there are some things humans can recover from that animals are less likely to be able to, and for all intents and purposes it's more expensive to keep animals alive than humans in a lot of cases, the animal can't contribute to it's own medical bill if it survives.

There are a myriad of reasons for it. However, I do think that when human beings are terminal, and they know no more can be done except for pain management it should be an option for those who want to.
    Further more, there are doctors who do provide people with leathal doses of morphine in secrecy. So it is being done, just not legally and officially, just like some people chose to not euthanize their pets, some people chose to help euthanize grandma.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
    I'm bored and i feel like getting something going and this is the debate were having in my social justice homework and other peoples insights could be very helpful. So heres a fun little philosophical question, if you enjoy debates that is....

So here we go: Why is it considered HUMANE to euthanize beast but INHUMANE to euthanize man in most "civilized" societies?

Honsetly i'd rather put both Fido and Grandma out of thier misery then watch them suffer.
    I think it could be humane in both situations. The difference is in the case of a non human animal we have to make a judgement on the animal's behalf about whether the animal would prefer to live with pain or end its life. With humans, as far as possible, we have to respect what the individual desires for him or herself. In my opinion if a person would prefer to die rather than suffer, the humane thing is to respect their wishes.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Problem with that is most people don't know their own minds more than a few minutes at a time! Or they have other issues that skewer their perspectives and they say and think one thing but will be quick to change their minds when it comes down to it. My own family taught me that. My mother was a manic depressive and a addict and as manipulative as could be... When she didn't get her way she would play the "I'm just going to kill myself" till she would get to close to that cliff then scream like a banshee to "for some one to "Save Me" Till one time there was no one there and she lost the throw of the dice on that one.

If a person is ill? And in pain etc etc.. it is going to really warp their thinking and desire...so no, if they want to kill themselves that's on them, that's their choice... but for someone else to help them? it is MURDER plain and simple... no other way around that and the difference between humanely euthanizing animals? They depend on humans for everything unless they are living wild. they cant make rational choices because as much as I love my fur babies they are still "Animals" its like comparing a orange to a apple not the same strata at all.

Believe me I do understand why some might get to a point of desperation or pain whatever (My sister spent over 14 years in a nursing home in a wheelchair cause of her bad drug choices till she passed away) but it is never a option for someone else to do it for you.....its just not.
    [SIGPIC] Kim

All for it. With a old style of family honor mixed in. #1 my grand mother is the best information around when it come to trust and exp. 2nd IF I had A child with a incapacitating problem it's my duty to make the best of things. I can't expect others to raise my child or take care of my grandmother. I'd do what I can, with what I have.

There is no criminal element to difficult decisions, Don't treat them like criminals. On the other hand, sometimes it's good to have a second opinion.

Because we live in a cruel, twisted world that has laws implemented to make it cheaper and easier to run and not to become loving and caring as it should be, very sad but true, why do countries only invade others that have something of value? why do people torture and kill innocent animals when there are other techniques available? When the wrong people are in control of the world it will always be run the wrong way. Killing in itself is not a crime but rather the reason behind it that is, plus the fact that many people believe that there will be no judgement on their lives come the end so simply do what they can get away with rather than doing what's right...
    Sadly the amount of people that genuinely care about the world and all the decent beings in it is getting smaller every day. All in my own opinion of course,
    Last edited by Mjolnir; April 26th, 2017 at 02:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3