Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Fun Little Question for All

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member

A Fun Little Question for All

I'm bored and i feel like getting something going and this is the debate were having in my social justice homework and other peoples insights could be very helpful. So heres a fun little philosophical question, if you enjoy debates that is....

So here we go: Why is it considered HUMANE to euthanize beast but INHUMANE to euthanize man in most "civilized" societies?

Honsetly i'd rather put both Fido and Grandma out of thier misery then watch them suffer.
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

Hmmmm, very good question.
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

is offline Silence! I will smite you!
    Because it's easier on the conscience of those who invented the term.
    In memory of my brother.
    July 12 1965-July 7 2005.
    May you find peace on your journey.

"To be a man you must have honor, honor and a penis!"
    ~ Shin Chan ~

Tormentor of Fairywolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    Because it's easier on the conscience of those who invented the term.
    As Plausible that is, it only goes one way. Wouldnt it stand to reason that they would want to make it easier in reference to humans rather than animals?
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

Because the human animal is a hypocritical beast.
    "You get a wonderful view from the point of no return" -- T. Pratchett

No matter how beautifully presented, it's still a plate of bullshit. It never ceases to amaze me that people will still swallow it knowing exactly what it is they're swallowing. ~ Me

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
    Confucius

Personally I would like to see it become an option that if you got enough signatures on a petition you could have people put down like rabid dogs.

So I'm thinking I am not going to be very unbiased.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    Personally I would like to see it become an option that if you got enough signatures on a petition you could have people put down like rabid dogs.

So I'm thinking I am not going to be very unbiased.
    If you start it i get one of the first five signatures!

is offline Kemetic-based hoopajooper
    So here we go: Why is it considered HUMANE to euthanize beast but INHUMANE to euthanize man in most "civilized" societies?
    Personally, I think it comes down to the idea of "fellow man", and maybe some people feel that to put someone down for whatever reason is akin to murder. Also, some of us tend to see humans as a more feeling, more conscious creature, so to euthanize a human is a little more. . . erm, inhumane, I guess?

My two cents.
    We cannot do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
    If you start it i get one of the first five signatures!

Same here!

Honestly I think it is inhumane to have people suffer just as much as it is inhumane for pets and other animals. (Unless of course we are talking about those who need to be put down like rabid dogs.... then I could possibly be persuaded to let them suffer.)

Of course even as a fundie Christian I had heretical views on things like abortion, euthanasia and capitol punishment. So the why's never really made sense to me. I think it is for the people left behind, they are holding out for a miracle that just won't happen. Plus they are also worried about abuse of it too. For example if you euthanize rover you aren't going to be anything but sad really. Grandpa on the other hand might have a fortune and you want your cut right now, doctors can be bribed etc. You have the whole human corruption issue involved. Also the idea that human life is somehow more sacred than that of an animal which, I believe, is bs or at the very least works more in the favor of euthanasia. If a human is so special is it not more loving of you to let a terminally ill person go peacefully than it is for them to suffer horribly?

Just my thought.

"Humane" was a word used interchangeably with "human" until it was latter defined by itself. I believe that it's more of a question, not of hypocrisy, but a tendency to still define ourselves, and actions, differently when a person is involved vice an animal.

We feel it is our job to help said dieing animal by making it less painful, but when faced with another human being, the ideology behind it is completely different. It's all good to say that it would be better for grandma to pass on, but when it comes down to actually "pulling the plug" you are now faced with a human death on your hands.
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/

My dreams and mind,
    Left on a page for the world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast