Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Fun Little Question for All

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
    I'm bored and i feel like getting something going and this is the debate were having in my social justice homework and other peoples insights could be very helpful. So heres a fun little philosophical question, if you enjoy debates that is....

So here we go: Why is it considered HUMANE to euthanize beast but INHUMANE to euthanize man in most "civilized" societies?

Honsetly i'd rather put both Fido and Grandma out of thier misery then watch them suffer.
    This relates to my own thread on Assisted Death - http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=237278

It's simple. No one wants to "put down" grandma. The word "euthanasia" brings to mind a poor old lady who's family, sick of her and not wanting to bother with her, decide to kill off. It also brings to mind a world in which people over the age of 60 are required by law to visit councilling encouraging them to consider choosing death, and over 70 put down whether they like it or not. The problem is, the word "euthanasia" doesn't indicate whether or not the old person in question has a choice in his or her own death, so a humane society can't vote it in.

Assisted Death, however, is very different. Most people will look at you strangely if you suggest we legalize it, and ask if you're suggesting we allow euthanasia, but after you explain, the majority of people say "oh that, yes, I totally agree with that".

The fact is you have to think about this issue before you can make a good decision. You also have to be clear on your exact meaning. This is asking too much of the general population.

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Someone said that if this were made legal in the UK, people would abuse it and do away with their relatives to get at the money. I think it's why some are holding back.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Runa~ View Post
    Someone said that if this were made legal in the UK, people would abuse it and do away with their relatives to get at the money. I think it's why some are holding back.
    However, there is absolutely no evidence of this happening in any place where it is legal, rendering this slippery slope a boogeyman.

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

I need to look into this because according to a doctor it would happen, where relatives would go to such lengths. Show proof that it doesn't happen in countries where it's legal.

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    I like what Kitten is saying. I have always agreed for assisted suicide outof the exact fear of Runas points. Although there may or may not be cases of bribing the doctor to bump grandma off for her treasure we do live in a world with humans. And as much as i'd like to have faith in my species there will be inevitably someone who will try and and a greedy enough doctor who will break thier oath. Human nature indicates it will happen at least once.
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

I like what Kitten is saying. I have always agreed for assisted suicide outof the exact fear of Runas points. Although there may or may not be cases of bribing the doctor to bump grandma off for her treasure we do live in a world with humans. And as much as i'd like to have faith in my species there will be inevitably someone who will try and and a greedy enough doctor who will break thier oath. Human nature indicates it will happen at least once.
    http://www.worldrtd.net/node/418

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Runa~ View Post
    Scary stuff :/. though not entierly surprising that something like that would happen.
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

So here we go: Why is it considered HUMANE to euthanize beast but INHUMANE to euthanize man in most "civilized" societies?
    I'd say the simple answer is because fido can't express an opinion about her quality of life, but Gramma can.

If Gramma is vegetative, then it's generally considered in the realm of humane possibility to cut off support and allow such a patient to die. If Gramma chooses to euthanize herself, well, many moral codes forbid it, but not mine. But Grandson shouldn't be coming along (much less mr doctor...) and deciding what happens to Gramma if she can decide for herself.

Me, I have a high pain threshold, and would stick to living as long as I could get something out of it...

Honsetly i'd rather put both Fido and Grandma out of thier misery then watch them suffer.
    I don't.

I am a big believer in living on the razor edge of freedom... in my view... suicide should be something we all are 'allowed' to choose.

as far as euthanasia... well, I don't think it is right to ask someone ELSE to kill you.. they might not want to take that on their souls, but... but if they agree, and I guess there should be some legal mumbo jumbo to make sure that it is clear the other person is not commiting murder, but an assisted suicide... then.. yep, no problem.

however, as we HAVE free will... I don't really think is should be a descision any makes for someone ELSE.. Poor Fluffy can't understand that her incurable cancer is going to give her a month or two of agony followed by death, Grandma can, so she needs to make her own call on how she's going to deal with that sort of diagnosis... including setting herself up with an DNR order etc... or talking to a friendly doctor about 'pain relief'
    Mitakuye Oyasin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast