Thread: How Do You Serve a God/dess?

is offline Kemetic-based hoopajooper

How Do You Serve a God/dess?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. Since my question isn't aimed at a specific deity or path, I figured this forum was the correct one. Sorry if it isn't!

So, how, exactly do you serve a god or goddess? Obviously, it depends on which deity we're talking about, but do you think there are general behaviors that qualify as "service"? Is it even necessary to ask this question?

Finally, do you think it's in good taste to say you serve a certain god or goddess? Personally, I'm not sure we can always know if we're doing a service, or if we're projecting our feelings onto deity, so maybe it's better to say "follower". (I hope I made sense. . .)

It seems like almost everything I read equates worship with service. I guess that could be part of it. To me, it's more than that. I think part of it must be trying to live by the morals/virtues/etc of that deity, or the culture that deity originated from. I can see how you might run into trouble with that view, depending on the deity and culture, though.

What do you think?
    We cannot do everything.

So, how, exactly do you serve a god or goddess? Obviously, it depends on which deity we're talking about, but do you think there are general behaviors that qualify as "service"? Is it even necessary to ask this question?

Taking up a basic order of service isn't difficult.
    1: Make a simple shrine. Obtain and image or symbol arrange it respectfully with some candles and a censer and/or offeringbowl
    2: Prepare an invocation of praise and worship. This should not be about you, not about your needs or what the god has done with you, but about the god's attributes and greatness. It can be useful to develop a specific visualization of the deity that you envision while reciting the invocation.
    3: Make simple offerings. It can be enough to just light incense and flame before the image - that's very traditional. Some people like to make an offering of drink or food into a bowl, which is then spilled outside after a time.
    4: Contemplate the deity. Hold the visualized image in mind and open your heart to the deity.

Of course you should read all you can about the deity, making sure you know the stories and symbols well.

Finally, do you think it's in good taste to say you serve a certain god or goddess? Personally, I'm not sure we can always know if we're doing a service, or if we're projecting our feelings onto deity, so maybe it's better to say "follower".

I don't follow any gods, because they don't mainly care to lead, but I do serve them, because they reward service with blessings. I think the proper term is 'service'.

To me, it's more than that. I think part of it must be trying to live by the morals/virtues/etc of that deity, or the culture that deity originated from.

Ancient religion wasn't mainly about morals. Gods don't generally give out moral codes, rather they tend dwell in the moral codes of the peoples they serve. Of course gods aren't themselves bound by human moral codes, but there seem to be some things they like - truth, courage, etc.

I think one serves the gods by entering into relationship with them, not by obeying them. It's more like serving a guest than serving a master. Relationship is give and take - we make offerings, they give blessings.

Some food for thought: When I was younger I had a big problem with the idea of "serving" a god or goddess, as if I were some kind of slave or something. The word, at the time, to me, evoked a lot of negativity and anger towards a relationship with the gods. It made me feel like I didn't have a choice. Like I'd be donning a collar and my leash would be tugged where ever they wanted me to go. I'm older and wiser now, but still learning. If there's any word I have a problem with now in relationship to the gods, it's worship, not because I don't, but because I feel it fails to adequately describe my relationship with my patrons. For me, my relationship with my Patrons is a lot more like love than following, serving, or worshipping. It is kind of like a stronger version of the love one has for family, but I can't say I'm a lover of Lugh and The Morrigan. It would be very confusing for some people. I could say I'm a daughter of them, but, there again, it's just not quite the right word. So, instead I say I follow them, but, truly, I also serve them, when they ask it of me. Mostly, I think in the beginning the word for me was submit. Submit to the love, the freedom, and no longer being alone or on my own. For the life of me, I cannot understand why I was so stubborn and so set against it. To me my Patrons aren't just the gods, they are also my closest friends. They've walked with me since birth. Who could know me better? I don't think there really is a word to use that really means my relationship with the gods.
    Last edited by CaeruleusLady; January 27th, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Spelling