Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a craft name

Choosing a craft name

Craft names! Sometimes they just come to you, other times they...don't. I happen to be one of the witches whose name remains elusive.

I have two stipulations about my name: that it not be one that takes itself especially seriously, and that it not be one that's very common at all. There's tons of Morgans and Ravens out there; as much as I love those names, I want something that's uniquely me. I'm very nature and animal oriented. I love cats and insects. I'm studying to be a doctor. I'm good at working with my hands and with textiles. All these are things I've considered as inspirations for a name.

So, share with me how you chose YOUR craft name. Or, if you're looking, share your pitfalls and struggles. Inspiration, suggestions, and stories - drop them off here!

Hey Hey, Nice topic.

Back in the day. I chose my middle name as a 'craft name'. I wasn't in the craft, but I used it as a more essential way to describe myself during my... 'rituals/experiments'.

I chose my middle name because I have a unique middle name, It was not something I shared with anyone, so it was something that only my family and closest friends knew. I must have picked up the name theory, which says, someone who knows your full/true name has power over you.

Fast Forward years and years. I'm at a beginning again, and I may chose a craft name.

"Eyeris", also my username here, has a story behind it. In college we were performing the play "Metamorphosis", which was basically a reworking of Ovid's Metamorphosis.

In the play, actors swap roles for each story told. I played about 10 characters. One of my most brief roles was one of the lesser gods "Iris, the Rainbow."

Playing her was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed what I found in my research: A messenger goddess, usually for Hera, whom was said to be faster than Hermes, and who's job was also to take the seawater back to the clouds via rainbow.

The idea for "Eyeris" was at first visual, an eye shape followed by a 'ris'. It actually started as a graffiti tagging idea, one of the crew members on the show was teaching me about graffiti. I was fond of the name and started to use it... online, in some role playing that never really panned out, and here on MW. I love it for all of the small and subtle associations it has gathered over time. I think if I decide to take a craft name, "Eyeris" is a likely candidate.

I too am still searching for my name and I have been pagan since 2000. So they can most definately be elusive. I too love all the beautiful names that I hear and read but want something unique to me.

Back in the day, when I was searching for a craft name I looked over tons of sites with different lists of craft names, and names from various cultures. One list included an irish boys name "Felan" (I think on the spelling...it means wolf). I thought to myself...hmm yes I like that...but not quite. So I changed the spelling and viola! Faelon! I found this after I had found the name "moonhawk" which combines two things I love the moon & birds of prey. I seem to see hawks all over the place and always have loved them (along with falcons & other birds of prey).

Over the years, I've tried to find other Craft names, as I've felt this doesn't necessarily reflect me anymore. But none have stuck. This name is mine, though now a days it's Faelon Moonhawk, not as my forum name is written ^^...or simply Faelon.
    ~*~ )o( Blessings in Shadow & Light! )o( ~*~

~ Semper Fi ~

I think my MW name, TurningTides, is the closest I have to a craft name. Names on stuff I like (moon, flowers, bees, etc) have never really stuck. But water and water imagery have always helped me see through dilemmas and bad times. Plus, I like the idea that the tides move endlessly in and out, a way of shifting perspectives just when I think everything is under control, lol.

In prayer work with the deities, I just say, "It's me". They're not real big on formality, just honesty.

The closest thing I have to a craft name is Shariz, a name I created many years ago when WoW first came out. My sister had created a character named Pariz, so I decided to mock her. Somewhere along the line, someone decided to make it sound "cuter" and started to call me Sharizzy. Well, it stuck, and now I use it for everything!
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

Mine was given to me by my grandfather. It means joy in greek and there is a joy in every generation of my family. I've used it for so long most of the people who know me IRL call me Khara.

My full craft name is Windsmith bat Gaia. The "Windsmith" part came, of all things, from a U.S. Department of Energy report on renewable energy; "windsmith" is a seldom-used term for wind turbine technicians.

I added "bat Gaia" (daughter of Gaia) a couple of years ago after reading PaGaian Cosmology (I can't recommend this book enough times. It's a joyful obligation). I used "bat" rather than any other half-dozen words for "daughter" that popped into my head because of my Jewish heritage.

It's mostly moot because I barely use the name anymore. My everyday name is pretty darned magical.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

I chose Danyael Demonic mostly as a "stage" name I guess. I was creating a website for a thrash metal band and at the bottom I was to put my name and my business. I thought my real name was pretty boring (RL initials are DD) and I'd just recently watched the movie The Prophecy II or III. I liked the spelling of that angels name and kind of adopted that with the heavy metal scene thing.
    I'm not sure that'll remain though. Sometimes I feel the name represents a "me" that is slowly fading and being replaced by a renewed spirit. Less anger and stress. Yeah I think that name will change soon

is offline <-- My own damn artwork for a change
    Mine is macaroni and cheese dinner
    "One between two worlds chants, "fire walk with me""

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast