Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: God had a wife and her name was Ashera

God had a wife and her name was Ashera

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_839226.html

I have no idea if this is 'old' news (to anyone who noticed the use of the plural in Genesis it won't be), but I love this article and the articles it references:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/22/...Top+Stories%29

http://news.discovery.com/history/go...ah-110318.html

oh this is no real news. but it's getting a lot of press into mainstream society.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon View Post
    oh this is no real news. but it's getting a lot of press into mainstream society.
    keyword there is "mainstream"

Huh. Haven't heard of this before.

And I know I'm a huge FEnerd, but when I read Ashera I immediately thought of http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Ashera /fail
    “You know you only delayed the inevitable,” Quenthel said as Pharaun and Q'arlynd returned. “We're wasting time, here. We have to get out of the city.”
    “I know,” the Master of Sorcere replied, “but it was fun.”

Quote Originally Posted by antiquitas View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_839226.html

I have no idea if this is 'old' news (to anyone who noticed the use of the plural in Genesis it won't be), but I love this article and the articles it references:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/22/...Top+Stories%29

http://news.discovery.com/history/go...ah-110318.html

From the second link:
    Aaron Brody, director of the Bade Museum and an associate professor of Bible and archaeology at the Pacific School of Religion, says the ancient Israelites were polytheists, with only a “small majority” worshipping God alone. He says it was the exiling of an elite community within Judea and the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 586 B.C that lead to a more "universal vision of strict monotheism."

I ran across this several years ago and it really clicked with me. I have sought endlessly for ways to explain how I can follow who I believe is the Christian God, yet He seems to be ok with the presence of other gods too. If we consider that the Bible was tweeked at some point to emphasize monolatry, and then subsequently theology has reduced all other gods to the status of demons, then things make sense. The Bible reads as it does because people have adapted it for cult worship of one particular god, Jehovah.

I compare this with examples I see in Hellenism, where the individual gods each had their cults of worship. I can imagine that at least some of the devotees of some of these cults may have considered their particular god to be the most important or even the only one worth worshiping. The major difference being that the "winning" theology accepted by the majority was that all the gods worked together in harmony, and all deserved worship.

In Judea, the opposite opinion won. Difficult times led to strict rules of worship, and all Canaanite and other foreign gods were dropped. The people were desperate to get their god to work on their behalf.

I'm not a historian. I'm just saying that this part fits with my UPG. Not that I've encountered Ashera or any of the Canaanite gods, but my God, claiming to be the Christian God, willingly working with the Hellenic gods.
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

I agree, It is interesting. This comment however, made me laugh.

So, God is like a man, and a man-like creature knows all and is all powerful. But 'he' has a wife. Is she a God? Yes? What happened to "one God"? No? Then what IS she?

Does God, then, feel the pain of his wife's childbirth*? Exactly as 'she' feels it? Then what separates them?

What about her headaches? Does 'he' feel them exactly as she feels them (and at the same time, so, he doesn't feel like, you know...eit*her). But wait! This is God!

Does God have sex? Or does 'he' have a sexless marriage? Aren't there some places where it is defined such that you aren't married, unless you have consummate*d that marriage? Even in Christian regions?

But why would God need sex? 'He' just creates whatever 'he' wants, right? I mean 'he's' all powerful.

My head hurts...

I guess she left the bible when she divorced god for him cheating on her with Mary.

I could'nt resist...
    Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows
    For nine long nights,
    Pierced by a spear, pledged to Odhinn,
    Offered, myself to myself
    The wisest know not from whence spring
    The roots of that ancient rood

They gave me no bread,
    They gave me no mead,
    I looked down;
    with a loud cry
    I took up runes;
    from that tree I fell

-Hávamál

YHWH was one of the sons of El, so I always thought Asherah would be His mother...I do know that YHWH and Anat seemed to be a little friendly with one another at one point as Anat-Yahu, (which is funny, because YHWH hated Baal and Anat hated anyone who hated Baal, so...how did that work out? lol).
    Last edited by Gaudior; March 23rd, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Hm this is really cool food for thought. If this proves to be correct then that presents a greeeaatt amount of historical... oh... iorny?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I compare this with examples I see in Hellenism, where the individual gods each had their cults of worship. I can imagine that at least some of the devotees of some of these cults may have considered their particular god to be the most important or even the only one worth worshiping. The major difference being that the "winning" theology accepted by the majority was that all the gods worked together in harmony, and all deserved worship.
    In works like the Iliad/Odyssey (at least the translated versions) they do refer to single gods as God on occasion, but I can't tell you if that's at the translater's will or if it is actually written as "Theos". I bet there are original texts online, maybe on the Perseus website.
    At any rate, yes, people did devote themselves largely to one deity, like Sparta to Ares. But it's not just Zeus who's called God in these works, it was a while ago but I'm sure Hermes (or Apollo?) was even called God at least once. But don't take my word for it, my memory gets fuzzy beyond 10 years....

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_reaper View Post
    I guess she left the bible when she divorced god for him cheating on her with Mary.
    LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast