Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: God had a wife and her name was Ashera

Quote Originally Posted by antiquitas View Post
    In works like the Iliad/Odyssey (at least the translated versions) they do refer to single gods as God on occasion, but I can't tell you if that's at the translater's will or if it is actually written as "Theos". I bet there are original texts online, maybe on the Perseus website.
    At any rate, yes, people did devote themselves largely to one deity, like Sparta to Ares. But it's not just Zeus who's called God in these works, it was a while ago but I'm sure Hermes (or Apollo?) was even called God at least once. But don't take my word for it, my memory gets fuzzy beyond 10 years....

Thank you.

I admit that I rely quite a bit on other people's research, as I'm working with a simple H.S education and Hellenism isn't my primary religion. My opinions in this matter are formed mostly from past discussions on the Yahoo list: Kyklos Apollon, where the moderator of the site holds cultus to Apollon (but not to the exclusion of the other gods).

His personal insight is that Apollon is the manifestation of Platonus' "The One". The One being an omnipotent deity that is only understood through contact with the other gods, or some such theology (sorry, layman's interpretation here.)

Christianity bastardized and applied some form of this philosophy, in that God is a being much greater than the Old Testament local Hebrew deity, and is in fact the omnipotent God of all mankind. By trying to reverse some of this theology in my own practice, I'm having a lot more success in my personal dealings with the God of the Bible.

Unfortunately I am left with little solid theology to stand upon. I don't feel the need to firm up all my beliefs concerning God so I can present them as a new theology. I'm hardly qualified to do so; especially in the face of millions of other followers worldwide who each have their own thoughts on the matter. But where Christian theology tells us that God cannot or will not work amicably with other deities, I have to either look to the one example where Jesus was led by the Holy Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil (in which case all the other deities I've met have been just a test of my resolve to worship God alone), or reinvent the wheel starting back with a polytheistic Hebrew nation and a God who is just one of many.
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

I grew up in the christian church, and had heard this discussion before (eliminating her name, of course).
    It is about time it starts making it to the mainstream. Many Abrahamic religious people I have spoken to about this in the past have dismissed her as "myth, stories, or just Imagination." WOW! REALLY? With artifacs? proof? Amazing!

I've not heard of this before. If this is true,then our view of ancient Israelite and other Abrahamic religions needs some serious revision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2