Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of Bones in Traditional Witchcraft

The Importance of Bones in Traditional Witchcraft

I've been watching videos about Traditional Witchcraft, to better understand it, and I've noticed that bones come into play a lot. It doesn't matter if it's human or animal. Also does the animal skull replace the god and goddess or is the god and goddess worship separate from Traditional Witchcraft.

Confused person posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I've been watching videos about Traditional Witchcraft, to better understand it, and I've noticed that bones come into play a lot. It doesn't matter if it's human or animal. Also does the animal skull replace the god and goddess or is the god and goddess worship separate from Traditional Witchcraft.

Confused person posting.
    Confused person responding.....

What kind of videos are you watching? Which Tradition are they about?

Video's about Cornwall witchcraft. There's a museum that shows a man showing off all sorts of things from human bones, like skulls, a blasting rod, something in a box, things like that. Here's the video, hope that you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ii3_...eature=related
    Last edited by Sekhmet Soul30; March 25th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Oh it finally shows up, stupid program.

I wish that it would of shown more than one altar in that program.

I've heard of bones being used in divination and various ritual, but never witchcraft. It sounds cool, though
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post

Confused person posting.
    First, most Trads don't worship anything. The skull as well as bones are something that connects us the other. Many Trads work with their ancestors as well as what can be considered the forgotten and the unknown, so having something that is in correlation to death, whether it be actual bones and skulls or something representing them, like a human sized black candle or skull replica, is used by many. Traditional witchcraft has many links to what is considered shamanism as well as Voodoo. Witchcraft is really just a title for something many cultures have practiced for quite some time.

I though the video was pretty interesting. There were many things I recognized and many things I did not. His use of bones varies between the different things they were incorporated into.

The big horned skull is clearly for use as a symbol of the horned god. The human skull on the altar which I am sure is NOT a real one. Is either simply there for the "spook" factor of it all because he seems to be trying to educate people there that are not knowledgable on the subject. Other then that yes the Skull can be used as a representation of our hidden knowledge that lies within or also as a means of honoring the dead. I do not and have not ever seen it as a stationary piece on anyones altar.

The other bone pieces I am sure are animal bones because obviously who in their right mind would disclose they have actual human remains. *regardless of what magickal properties they may possess* clearly this would be something that is highly illegal in almost any culture. Bones are used for many things such as divination to spell work.

I think both of these aspects i forementioned are visible here. the one item he showed looked as if it were a divination device where the fingers dependant upon how they would fall would have a certain meaning where as the box with the bones in it were obviously there to increase the power of the work.

I honestly think this guys was adding all these bones for the spook factor though. I think he was trying to get a rise out of these people he was showing them too. This seems rather obvious by the "ooohhhoohhh" sounds he was making *jokingly of course*

Yes bones are used in many different ways but NO they are not a mandated practice for MOST pagan traditions. I say it this way because at some point or another many pagan paths require the use of a bone or bone dust or tooth dust or something of the like for some type of working that may or may not arise. There are paths however that incorporate the Use of bones in everyday practice.

His things he showed looked like a compilation of Celtic Paganism and South American Shaminism. I highly doubt that what he presented is a true and accurate representation of traditional Cornish Witchcraft but more like a mix and match of what he chose to show you to get a rise out of people!

I can't say I'm an expert on Cornwall, but it could also be that bones preserve well. At of the things he was displaying where old so something made of cloth, or bark or what have you may not have lasted long enough to be found. But something made of bone or rock or shell would. Like other people I've really only heard of bones being used in divation, rituals and very rarely ritual tools.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Symandinome View Post
    The big horned skull is clearly for use as a symbol of the horned god.

That may be what it was used for, but I know a lady who has a stag skull. She by no means believes any horned god. She has the skull because to her it represents nature. When most people think about out in woods and nature, they think of deer. Just a basic connection.

I also know some individuals who keep goat or ram skulls and are practicing Satanists and Luiferians. It's very much up the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Symandinome View Post
    The other bone pieces I am sure are animal bones because obviously who in their right mind would disclose they have actual human remains. *regardless of what magickal properties they may possess* clearly this would be something that is highly illegal in almost any culture.
    Actually, it's not. As long as you're not grave robbing, there's nothing wrong with having them. You can actually buy human remains off ebay as well as from some non-wiccan web shops. You can often find them in the occasional occult shop, depending on what it's leaning is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast