Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why do People that practice Traditional Witchcraft not like to be called a witch

Why do People that practice Traditional Witchcraft not like to be called a witch

I read on another site that people that practice Traditional Witchcraft don't like being called a witch. The person that wrote the article for the site said that they consider it a dirty word. Could you please explain this in detail if you have the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I read on another site that people that practice Traditional Witchcraft don't like being called a witch. The person that wrote the article for the site said that they consider it a dirty word. Could you please explain this in detail if you have the answer.
    No I can't because it is not true of all practictioners. I call myself a witch openly.

Some groups are paranoid, some are trying to be all super sekret and a few follow the "tell no one what thou doest lest ye hang" to the letter.

Most need to realize that in the majority of your civilized countries in this day and age nobody cares if you are a witch. Not saying there aren't still prejudices, just saying it isn't the death sentence it used to be 100 years ago.

Please note I am not saying that people are not killed for being/claiming to be/accused of being a witch in this day, I'm saying it is no longer the norm.

This is actually sort of a difficult thing to answer. Difficulty arising in the sense of just what are you defining as "Traditional" witchcraft?

As one who descends from a Family Trad I can tell you my family would get pretty pissed being called "Witches", especially generic witches. They are wise women and men, Granny Magicians, Folk Practioners, traditonalist, Dowsers (waterwitches), etc but never just plain old witch.

But like I said, without knowing what defination is being used for "Traditional" one can not trully say.

I went back to look at the article and I'm getting that it's most likely due to the fact that Wicca is so popular and Traditional's don't like that it has nothing to do with how they practice. I'm talking about circle casting, Full Moon celebrations being more important than Festivals, things like that. Of course that's only my opinion and I'm sure that some might not feel this way.

Thanks for the time in listening to me and thanks for your comments. More would be appreciated as I like hearing what everyone has to say.
    Last edited by Sekhmet Soul30; March 25th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

What other site would that happen to be by the way? The subject matter appeared to be opinions regarding the preference and choice of the label witch, either the term itself, or practices that were described as such in a certain period of time, but your second post made reference to the specific non-secular witchcraft tradition of Wicca. If a site is making this distinction, and disassociating with Wicca, but follows other non-secular practices, it's likely that they're actually parading under traditions that are ironically inspired by Wicca.
    Semper Fidelis

How is Cornish Witchcraft part of Wicca? The man that had the video's is part of the Peller Tradition and he was showing off some of the things that was either part of his working tools, like the skulls which he said are spirit houses, wand, more skulls, and things that were part of the Witchcraft Museum. He made it very clear that this isn't pink and fluffy witchcraft but old school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1Fi...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Sekhmet Soul30; March 25th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.

Here's where I got the info about some Traditionalists not liking the word witch. I hope that you don't have to sign up to see it. Here's the link.

http://thevampirmetrou.ning.com/grou...and-witchcraft

Let me do a correction on the last post. Here's were I really got the info from about Traditionalists not liking the word witch and considering it an ugly word. Sorry if I might of given you the wrong information but still the link provides some really good information about the difference between Wicca and Witchcraft.

http://www.spelwerx.com/wvtw.html

Instead of posting a vague question from some "other" site, why don't you just ask there? None of us can tell you why they do it, because we are not them, and have no context outside of whatever you tell us.

I've never heard that before!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast