Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about the God and Goddess in Traditional Witchcraft

Question about the God and Goddess in Traditional Witchcraft

I know that the Hindu have gods and goddess that they worship, though they don't call where their worshiped a altar but a shrine, but what I want to know is does any Traditional Witches today put a god and goddess on their altars or do they have something else they put on their altars. Is the practice of putting a physical representation of the god and goddess only in Wicca (and I'm excluding Hinduism)? Let me know, confused person writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I know that the Hindu have gods and goddess that they worship, though they don't call where their worshiped a altar but a shrine, but what I want to know is does any Traditional Witches today put a god and goddess on their altars or do they have something else they put on their altars. Is the practice of putting a physical representation of the god and goddess only in Wicca (and I'm excluding Hinduism)? Let me know, confused person writing.
    I have not interacted with many traditional witches that work with deity.

Quote Originally Posted by melodye View Post
    I have not interacted with many traditional witches that work with deity.
    Okay, so do they even have deities. I read on a Cornish Witchcraft site that the horns can represent both the god and the goddess because of how their shaped.

Witchcraft is not a religion, per se.
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharizzy View Post
    Witchcraft is not a religion, per se.
    Oh I understand that, don't get me wrong. I asked the same question to someone else on a yahoo group and they said that you don't need to have the god and goddess to practice. Of course most will say that witchcraft is a religion and some will say that it isn't. Personally the whole thing is confusing.

It's Wicca that's the religion, not witchcraft in general. Wiccans may practice witchcraft, but it's not a precursor.
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

In Cochranes tradition (for example), I believe they worked with a Witch God and Goddess. The Goddess was described as being Old Fate. From what I understand trad crafters work with Gods rather than 'worship' them per se. There's always exceptions.

There's no right or wrong answer in regards to interactions with Gods, I guess it's down to personal 'tastes'. It's true that traditional witchesd tend to favour land spirit/ancestor interaction more though.
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Sharizzy View Post
    It's Wicca that's the religion, not witchcraft in general. Wiccans may practice witchcraft, but it's not a precursor.
    Oh I know that Wicca is a religion, and a good one, and Witchcraft is a practice. However there are people that want to turn witchcraft into a religion. Not going to mention names as I don't slander but it gets really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by electricpeppers View Post
    In Cochranes tradition (for example), I believe they worked with a Witch God and Goddess. The Goddess was described as being Old Fate. From what I understand trad crafters work with Gods rather than 'worship' them per se. There's always exceptions.

There's no right or wrong answer in regards to interactions with Gods, I guess it's down to personal 'tastes'. It's true that traditional witchesd tend to favour land spirit/ancestor interaction more though.
    I personally like Herne the Hunter myself. Oh by the way who were the witch god and goddess. Never heard of them before, which shows that there's a lot about things that I didn't even heard of. I feel like such a newbie, groan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    From what i've understood, Witchcraft is just the practice of Magick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast