Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atheism to be taught in some schools.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.

Atheism to be taught in some schools.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...arwen_Schools/

Fiona Moss, from RE Today, helped create the new syllabus for Blackburn with Darwen.

She said: “We really must recognise that some people do not believe in God and do not have a religious background.

"We have to make children aware of non-beliefs.

“We want to support children to engage and enthuse them about RE to become good citizens in Blackburn and the world.

“The aim is for them to be confident wherever they settle.”

To create the syllabus the team reviewed the census results in 2001 which revealed that, although the borough has representatives from all of the six major faiths, there were more than 10,000 people who stated they did not follow a religion.
    Personally I think this is awesome. The title is a little misleading, humanism will be taught in combination with the major religions. A big step forward. I think it's good that these few schools are willing to teach the children about the fact that some people have no religion or "faith" in a deity.

What do you think?
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm cool with it. Kids need to hear other viewpoints.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I would prefer they keep religious discussions out of public schools period, unless its part of the class, example history. Im pagan, I dont want my kid being taught Christianity in school(If I did I would send them to a Xtian school or teach them myself), Im sure Christians wouldnt want atheism being taught to their kids. There's plenty of options out there for people to learn about other beliefs.
    Last edited by Kern; March 30th, 2011 at 06:42 AM.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by Kern View Post
    I would prefer they keep religious discussions out of public schools period, unless its part of the class, example history. Im pagan, I dont want my kid being taught Christianity in school(If I did I would send them to a Xtian school or teach them myself), Im sure Christians wouldnt want atheism being taught to their kids. There's plenty of options out there for people to learn about other beliefs.
    Actually. I think it's good various walks of life is being taught at school. It's not like it's "this is what you should believe", but rather "this is what some people believe". It teaches children that there are a lot of people from various walks of life, it increases tolerance, I believe.

The day we don't have to teach children about various religions is the day we don't have them, which I don't object to one bit.

In my school we were taught about everything between Hinduism to Satanism, Buddhism and the new sects. It made it easier for people to understand people from other walks of life.

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post
    Actually. I think it's good various walks of life is being taught at school. It's not like it's "this is what you should believe", but rather "this is what some people believe". It teaches children that there are a lot of people from various walks of life, it increases tolerance, I believe.

The day we don't have to teach children about various religions is the day we don't have them, which I don't object to one bit.

In my school we were taught about everything between Hinduism to Satanism, Buddhism and the new sects. It made it easier for people to understand people from other walks of life.
    Everyone has their opinion.
    I have no problem with discussions confined to like a history class, but parents are the ones responsible for teaching their kids tolerance as well as other things, not schools. At the end of the day those of the Abrahamic(Jews,Christians & Muslims) faiths will be seen as the least tolerant people on the earth.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

Quote Originally Posted by Kern View Post
    Everyone has their opinion.
    I have no problem with discussions confined to like a history class, but parents are the ones responsible for teaching their kids tolerance as well as other things, not schools. At the end of the day those of the Abrahamic(Jews,Christians & Muslims) faiths will be seen as the least tolerant people on the earth.
    I agree that Christians and Muslims are fairly intolerant. But Jews, I haven't met any too intolerant ones myself. My husbands boss is Jewish and he's really sweet, doesn't talk about religion, and he reads a lot of secular literature. He's a great guy. Pagans are quite intolerant as well.

But we're not talking about the indoctrination that usually goes on in Christian focused schools. We're talking about objective looks at all major religions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

Are you going to teach your children objectively about Christianity? Islam? Hinduism? Judaism? Humanism? Buddhism? And when do you have time for that? School does include religious studies for a reason. I completely disagree with scripture class and crap like that, but it's impossible for schools to give a well-rounded education without discussing religion from an objective point of view and tell kids what they entail.

Such as: Jews believe in God, their biggest prophet was Moses, they have certain dietary restrictions which some obeys and some do not. They do not believe Jesus was the Messiah.

Hinduism has lots of different deities. A few of them are Shiva, Vishnu and Ganesh. They think cows are holy, so they do not eat beef. They also believe in reincarnation.

Buddhism follows the teachings of the Buddha, born Siddharta Guatama. They have several core tennents, but do not believe in a God as such. Some sects elevates Boddhisvattas to deity levels, but there is no creator.

Atheists do not believe in a creator or a god. They are content with scientific discoveries and things that can be proven via scientific means.

See the difference?

As for Jews, I was referring to the ultra religious, some do not even want their families to associate with other Jews, much less non Jews.

As for teaching my children, which I have one, yes Ive taught mine what various religions believe, because Ive studied a lot of them. Now its up to her which path she chooses.

I get what your saying, I still think it should be left out of schools period. People can choose to take a course in college or surf the net if they wish. And basically I believe it would cause more problems on a local level than solve. But thats my opinion and you have yours, we can agree on that.

I agree that Christians and Muslims are fairly intolerant. But Jews, I haven't met any too intolerant ones myself. My husbands boss is Jewish and he's really sweet, doesn't talk about religion, and he reads a lot of secular literature. He's a great guy. Pagans are quite intolerant as well.

But we're not talking about the indoctrination that usually goes on in Christian focused schools. We're talking about objective looks at all major religions, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

Are you going to teach your children objectively about Christianity? Islam? Hinduism? Judaism? Humanism? Buddhism? And when do you have time for that? School does include religious studies for a reason. I completely disagree with scripture class and crap like that, but it's impossible for schools to give a well-rounded education without discussing religion from an objective point of view and tell kids what they entail.

Such as: Jews believe in God, their biggest prophet was Moses, they have certain dietary restrictions which some obeys and some do not. They do not believe Jesus was the Messiah.

Hinduism has lots of different deities. A few of them are Shiva, Vishnu and Ganesh. They think cows are holy, so they do not eat beef. They also believe in reincarnation.

Buddhism follows the teachings of the Buddha, born Siddharta Guatama. They have several core tennents, but do not believe in a God as such. Some sects elevates Boddhisvattas to deity levels, but there is no creator.

Atheists do not believe in a creator or a god. They are content with scientific discoveries and things that can be proven via scientific means.

See the difference?
    Last edited by Kern; March 30th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.

My Beliefs

I think public schools should only be responsible for the basics: math, science, history, English/reading, etc. Religion has no place in the class room, but forgive me if I have huge doubts that enough variety would be taught with much accuracy. Having been to public school, we covered WWI and WWII in 2 weeks (classes were about an hour), so I can only imagine how little they're going to actually put forth as far as effort when it comes to a variety of different religions.

My kids will be home schooled, so it doesn't actually effect me directly anyways.

Don't have what? Kids or religions?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post
    I think public schools should only be responsible for the basics: math, science, history, English/reading, etc. Religion has no place in the class room, but forgive me if I have huge doubts that enough variety would be taught with much accuracy. Having been to public school, we covered WWI and WWII in 2 weeks (classes were about an hour), so I can only imagine how little they're going to actually put forth as far as effort when it comes to a variety of different religions.

My kids will be home schooled, so it doesn't actually effect me directly anyways.
    Technically it wouldn't effect you anyway since these schools are British. And I understand there is a large difference between American schools and European schools as a rule in how they're conducted.
    When I went to school we covered all major religions and then had a test followed by doing a special project on any religion we wanted. Mine was on Wicca and witchcraft. Another guy did one on satanism. That's one example of Swedish public school.

However, my point, a bit more than if religion should be taught at all or not is that it's good children are getting taught that not everybody believes in Gods and deities, and that there are non-religious sources for morality.

ETA: The most awesome project in my class was the guy who did a project about Dragon Rouge. That was awesome!
    Last edited by Aeon Flux; March 30th, 2011 at 09:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast