Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Atheism to be taught in some schools.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by roseblood View Post
    Don't have what? Kids or religions?
    Both or either. Hehehe... Oh, no kids and no religion. Woah. awesome.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post
    Technically it wouldn't effect you anyway since these schools are British. And I understand there is a large difference between American schools and European schools as a rule in how they're conducted.
    When I went to school we covered all major religions and then had a test followed by doing a special project on any religion we wanted. Mine was on Wicca and witchcraft. Another guy did one on satanism. That's one example of Swedish public school.

However, my point, a bit more than if religion should be taught at all or not is that it's good children are getting taught that not everybody believes in Gods and deities, and that there are non-religious sources for morality.

ETA: The most awesome project in my class was the guy who did a project about Dragon Rouge. That was awesome!
    That's what I get for not actually reading the article. Haha You're right, there's a huge difference in how American schools teach compared to the rest of the world.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post
    That's what I get for not actually reading the article. Haha You're right, there's a huge difference in how American schools teach compared to the rest of the world.

That's why I always try to read the articles.

Yeah. As I said. A kid in primary school doing a project on Dragon Rouge? Awesome! And I actually had the whole class captivated with my work on Wicca and Ceremonial Witchcraft. The guys especially enjoyed the information about the nude initiation rites and going sky clad.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post

That's why I always try to read the articles.
    I usually do too, but it's early yet and I'm still feeling a bit lazy.

I agree that Christians and Muslims are fairly intolerant. But Jews, I haven't met any too intolerant ones myself. My husbands boss is Jewish and he's really sweet, doesn't talk about religion, and he reads a lot of secular literature. He's a great guy. Pagans are quite intolerant as well.
    Yeah, but that's true of any religion. There are intolerant Hindus too It's human nature. It's facinating, lol
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I had some classes that did cover religious beliefs (sort of). In earth science, we covered the theories of creationism, evolutionism, and the "big bang" theory.
    In Ancient History, we spent a whole semester studying world religions, and cultures. What I learned from this is that in many of the worlds cultures you cannot seperate the culture from the religion without destroying both. I also learned that here in the U.S.A. you do have the right to worship which ever god or gods you choose, but christianity is the most widely accepted.
    Yes, before anyone asks, this was public school.
    Fast foreward about 10-15 years.. to my children in school, and they are being terrorized because of the god or gods they choose to worship by other students of other faith systems. I taught them about other belief systems, gave them the information, and let them make their own decisions.
    I believe the responsibility of teaching the children of their families religion or faith falls to the parents, but that the school should be free to give general information on other beliefs or lack of, to give the child the best information to make their own decision when the time comes for them.
    Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2