Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Religion linked to Obesity

The top ten fattest states correlate to the top ten most religious states. The correlation isn’t exact, except for the top two spots. Mississippi is both the fattest and most religious state in the nation with Alabama in the number two spot for both rankings.
    Soul Food?

I'd like to see which religion the study participants adhered to. I doubt it was an even representation. Missisipi and Alabama are heavily baptist/southern church-style states. I agree with the 'church event' theory. However, 7th day Adventists are healthier than the general population, because part of their religious beliefs is a healthy body.

http://doctor.claudemariottini.com/2...-baptists.html

I think a religion comparison might be more useful. Where would Paganism and it's many paths land? does it matter, lol?

Soul food...sigh...it's so good but I can't eat it because it upsets my stomach...and I am trying to cultivate an Ayurvedic diet these days, and Soul Food...is none of that. lol.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I can see how some of the obesity may come from not caring about the physical body because they expect something better in the next life, but I think like others have said, it probably has more to do with church food. Growing up going to church, it was always about the donuts before church and the potlucks and lunches after church. Even if there wasn't a potluck, everyone went to dinner after church, and it was just a time of indulgence. Church is a very social experience, and part of that socializing is eating, eating, eating.

Now me? I'm obese, though trying to lose weight, and I'm far from the church-going kind of religious this study seems to be referring to LOL
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Church food, yes. Especially Baptist. They love their potlucks. Especially in the south. Especially in the south.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Church food, yes. Especially Baptist. They love their potlucks. Especially in the south. Especially in the south.

Biscuits are a favorite.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Is it wrong that this thread is making me hungry?

"Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." --Mark Twain

If having a deep disdain for entertaining the cerebrally challenged in politics makes one a bigot than the Queen Bigot am I.

If you search for the laws of harmony, you will find knowledge
    ~temple wall in Luxor~

Quote Originally Posted by aranarose View Post
    Now me? I'm obese, though trying to lose weight, and I'm far from the church-going kind of religious this study seems to be referring to LOL
    Same here. I actually was able to lose 70lbs (out of a goal of 100... I'm 5'10 so I can carry a lot lol) but gained half of that back after going back to school and sitting all day compared to running around all day at a medical office like a crazy headless chicken. Base metabolism destroyed. Need for more brain food (carbs) enhanced..... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeris View Post
    I think a religion comparison might be more useful. Where would Paganism and it's many paths land? does it matter, lol?
    We love our food, too. Lots of Pagan traditions involve "cakes and ale" as part of their rituals, and, at least around here, almost every public ritual I attend is followed by a potluck (and in my religious home community, if we don't have a ritual, we might just get together to potluck anyway!). If you're part of a group that gathers at every Sabbat and every Esbat, you're approaching weekly-church-youth-group levels of potlucking.

(Though maybe that's not as widespread as it appears to me. We do love us some potlucks in the Midwest.)

I feel like I've encountered more morbidly obese folks in the Pagan community than any other religious community I've been connected to. But maybe I just notice more because I'm more likely to attend large Pagan gatherings (place that adjective wherever you'd like) in small places and often feel like I'm stuck in that scene from The Triplets of Belleville.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2