Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Why does the 1% of Witches not read witch or folk lore?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indian Orchard MA
    Posts
    576

    Why does the 1% of Witches not read witch or folk lore?

    Okay I want to know something. Why is it that the 1% of witches, or Wiccans (I know that some Wiccans call themselves witches), don't read witch lore of folk lore. People many years ago collected this information so that people could read about it and it wouldn't get lost. So why don't they want to read it? I know that the books are dry but wouldn't it help them understand more about the roots of what they do.

    Let me know as I did a blog on Witch School International that talked about Witch Balls and how they were popular in the 18th century and how even one web site, e-How, sighted that the practice was 600 years old. I'm going with the 18th century one because it was on a website that was run by glass blowers that make the witch balls so I think that they would know about it more than anyone as it's part of their history.

    Let me know what you think and please answer my question.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    near Tacoma, WA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    18,671
    I'm curious where you got 1% from...?

    Why don't they read lore? I don't know. I'm assuming it's for a wide range of reasons, including not being interested, not having time or it not apply to their tradition or practice. There's also many modern books that complied old information in more helpful and interesting books, so people may be exposed to older lore without reading older texts.

    They might also think these texts are outdated and the truth is some are...I'm talking about the free PDF/Texts on Sacred-Texts, Project Gutenberg, Archive.org, etc. Old herbal lore books, for example, may have incorrect medical assumptions and treatments that by today's standards are best not to follow. Also, some of these older texts are written by people that are biased, skewing history and information. There are texts about witchcraft that are older and talk of devil worship and such. And though it's not about witchcraft, a perfect example of this are the older texts about the Aztecs. Many were written by Catholics, their conquerors and many are incorrect and biased. There's other reasons why older texts aren't always the best, but you get the idea.

    I think giving older texts a try is a good idea, but it shouldn't be a requirement or expected of a witch to read and use them.
    Last edited by Agaliha; March 30th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere Dark and confusing,but sometimes comfortable
    Posts
    1,836
    I'm tossing this out there and praying that nothing too hungry or grumpy bites.....

    It could be because they are afraid that should they read it, Their opinion and veiws of their path/craft will be hindered and changed. Basicly they are afraid to. Which I must add,If you want to walk that path you have to be willing to accept it,Rough history and all.

    Another reason could be that they just don't care to. I was the same way. I jumped into things without doing a full background check because the history didn't matter to me.(Most of the time I regretted that).

    It may just be a matter of time and resources. Alot of people don't have the time to sit down and read and learn about it. Many may not have acess to that materials and resources either. The library closest to me has a section so small that it's only 3 shelves of 'witch/Wiccan friendly' books on history and folk lore.Compare that to the 14 shelves of Muslim/Christian/Jewish books that make up the rest of the section.
    Last edited by U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya; March 30th, 2011 at 11:14 AM.

    What I mean to say is,Yes,In the end we are all in the same boat.We're all just too busy trying to sink eachother to see it.~Me

    Change is the only consistant thing in this world~Me

    I am a Women,Therefore it is in my very Nature to be soul deep,caring,Increadibly complex and a constant source of awe and headaches!~Me

    Exactly Why is it that 'With all Due Respect' really means kiss my ass.~Me

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://cooltext.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indian Orchard MA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Agaliha View Post
    I'm curious where you got 1% from...?

    Why don't they read lore? I don't know. I'm assuming it's for a wide range of reasons, including not being interested, not having time or it not apply to their tradition or practice. There's also many modern books that complied old information in more helpful and interesting books, so people may be exposed to older lore without reading older texts.

    They might also think these texts are outdated and the truth is some are...I'm talking about the free PDF/Texts on Sacred-Texts, Project Gutenberg, Archive.org, etc. Old herbal lore books, for example, may have incorrect medical assumptions and treatments that by today's standards are best not to follow. Also, some of these older texts are written by people that are biased, skewing history and information. There are texts about witchcraft that are older and talk of devil worship and such. And though it's not about witchcraft, a perfect example of this are the older texts about the Aztecs. Many were written by Catholics, their conquerors and many are incorrect and biased. There's other reasons why older texts aren't always the best, but you get the idea.

    I think giving older texts a try is a good idea, but it shouldn't be a requirement or expected of a witch to read and use them.
    Because the 1% seem to be answering with stupid answers like the following: The people that sell witch balls are only calling them witch balls to sell them, or it's superstition, or where did you even get your information from, or the best one what's old school witchcraft?

    Old school witchcraft was before Gardner when witches didn't care about the rede and didn't have one. Or the one that really made me think that they don't actually read anything about witch lore or folk lore is as follows: Laughing at me but going silent when I suggested that they read witch lore and folk lore that doesn't come from a new age book.

    They'll read the fluffy books but they won't read history of their craft or the lore and folk practices that surrounds it. They really need to go to the Witchcraft Museum in England or watch videos that others posted that went there. That will really show them what they really did back then.

    I personally like the poppet dolls with pins myself but that's only me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indian Orchard MA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya View Post
    I'm tossing this out there and praying that nothing too hungry or grumpy bites.....

    It could be because they are afraid that should they read it, Their opinion and veiws of their path/craft will be hindered and changed. Basicly they are afraid to. Which I must add,If you want to walk that path you have to be willing to accept it,Rough history and all.

    Another reason could be that they just don't care to. I was the same way. I jumped into things without doing a full background check because the history didn't matter to me.(Most of the time I regretted that).

    It may just be a matter of time and resources. Alot of people don't have the time to sit down and read and learn about it. Many may not have acess to that materials and resources either. The library closest to me has a section so small that it's only 3 shelves of 'witch/Wiccan friendly' books on history and folk lore.Compare that to the 14 shelves of Muslim/Christian/Jewish books that make up the rest of the section.
    That's the impression that I got as well. You spend hours doing actual research from the people that know the full history of a certain item only to be laughed at. If your going to be a witch read the full history so that you know what it's all about. Now I'm not asking people to practice it the way that the old timers did but at least understand it so that you can give a good answer or correct someone that's wrong.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,101
    I'm sorry but I don't think your numbers are correct. Where are you getting that percentage from? Who exactly was interviewed that said they didn't read their own histories?

    I am rabid for any information I can get and read constantly. I haunt old bookstores, swap meets, garage sales, flea markets and so forth always looking for anything I can find on the occult whether is is directly related to my path or not.

    I personally don't know many who don't do the same.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indian Orchard MA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think your numbers are correct. Where are you getting that percentage from? Who exactly was interviewed that said they didn't read their own histories?

    I am rabid for any information I can get and read constantly. I haunt old bookstores, swap meets, garage sales, flea markets and so forth always looking for anything I can find on the occult whether is is directly related to my path or not.

    I personally don't know many who don't do the same.
    It's the same thing when you say only 1% of Christians actually hate Wicca and witchcraft. It's a way of not including those with brains. Also when you have people that laugh at you because you believe that many years ago people used something and the people that used something have been dead and gone for a long time then it makes you really stop and think about why they are laughing at you. To openly mock someone who knows what their talking about is wrong and it shows that you haven't read the history of witchcraft and the practices of the cunning folk.

    The guy who opened his mouth and asked where I got my info from. He quoted wikipedia, which I don't like because anyone can write whatever they want. I tried to show him where I got the information but he once again showed that he hadn't read anything and thus didn't know what he was talking about. I don't mean to come along as rude but when you've been reading about something, and it's from real sources (like those glassblowers that have been doing something like this and it's a family business, meaning that the family has been doing it for a very long time) then I really annoys you.

    While I'll agree that there are witches out there that do read the history of the craft, like you do, there are those that don't. And those that don't, and not because they don't have the money because you can read some of them as e-books, make the rest of us look bad. Next time I'll write a blog about Thailand spirit houses to really see if they really have read folk lore or witch lore and also to separate the smart witches that really understand what their talking about from those that don't.

    Oh the Ozarks use witch balls as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere Dark and confusing,but sometimes comfortable
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    That's the impression that I got as well. You spend hours doing actual research from the people that know the full history of a certain item only to be laughed at. If your going to be a witch read the full history so that you know what it's all about. Now I'm not asking people to practice it the way that the old timers did but at least understand it so that you can give a good answer or correct someone that's wrong.
    Well Put My friend Knowledge is power and you never know,that knowledge may come in real handy one day.
    Last edited by U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya; March 30th, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

    What I mean to say is,Yes,In the end we are all in the same boat.We're all just too busy trying to sink eachother to see it.~Me

    Change is the only consistant thing in this world~Me

    I am a Women,Therefore it is in my very Nature to be soul deep,caring,Increadibly complex and a constant source of awe and headaches!~Me

    Exactly Why is it that 'With all Due Respect' really means kiss my ass.~Me

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://cooltext.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indian Orchard MA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya View Post
    Well Put My friend Knowledge is power and you never know,that knowledge may come in real handy one day.
    Thanks. I sent my money out for 'A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk' and 'The Call of the Horned Piper.' I should be getting them at the beginning of the week, next week, I'm really excited.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,434
    I tend to think that part of the problem lies in the nature of the subject. There was no universal one size fits all practice so it's logical that no singular book could address all from one perspective.

    To use Witchballs as an example. Where glass blowers were to be found one might be expected to see the rounded shaped balls. Many times that sort of green colored glass you get from the old methods. Occasionally the capped ones where the blower was a practioner of sorts themselves and placed the items within then sealed the globe with a glass plug.

    Yet in other areas the witchball was actually ceramic or pottery styled in nature. Those small medicine jar type things with thier corks wedged in. Some molded by hand from clay, some actually carved from tree's. Things that could be seen in plainseight yet perform their function without raising concern or speculation.

    Yet that still avoids the more folkish form that was made from small gords.

    So to focus upon the glass blowers exclusively is nearly as corrupting in perspective as to not research at all. Again one has to look to the area, the time frame and the custom's of the people being considered.

    I think the other thing is which history should one read? Granted a great many are slanted towards a Christian perspective but that is logical considering that most writing and such was perserved through the monastaries. The invasion cycles of old Ireland, the Edda's and Saga's of the North, even a large number of the Medeterrian basin stories preserved through being written down by clerics.

    Yet even that is failable when one looks to which age. The romanized greek histories change with each generation. The very meaning and usage of word choices equally changing. Like I pointed out elsewhere Medea changed from a sorceress in early accounts to a witch in later ones. Circe having the same things done to her through historical accounts and re-tellings.

    Knowledge is seen as power and truth, yet the farther away one moves from the source tales the more untruth one finds. Yet that very untruth arising due to the change and evolution of the words used to record it and the notion of what it actually was.

    I think many tend to avoid parts of it simply from the position they have read and do not fully understand the parts they read. After a bit it becomes about more than just reading an older book but about all the colleteral requirements needed to understand the book. Which of course doesn't even trully touch upon the translation and who translated it.

    The very notion of the name Pachet associated to Bast is due to a bad translation of an older text.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •