Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why does the 1% of Witches not read witch or folk lore?

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    I tend to think that part of the problem lies in the nature of the subject. There was no universal one size fits all practice so it's logical that no singular book could address all from one perspective.

To use Witchballs as an example. Where glass blowers were to be found one might be expected to see the rounded shaped balls. Many times that sort of green colored glass you get from the old methods. Occasionally the capped ones where the blower was a practioner of sorts themselves and placed the items within then sealed the globe with a glass plug.

Yet in other areas the witchball was actually ceramic or pottery styled in nature. Those small medicine jar type things with thier corks wedged in. Some molded by hand from clay, some actually carved from tree's. Things that could be seen in plainseight yet perform their function without raising concern or speculation.

Yet that still avoids the more folkish form that was made from small gords.

So to focus upon the glass blowers exclusively is nearly as corrupting in perspective as to not research at all. Again one has to look to the area, the time frame and the custom's of the people being considered.

I think the other thing is which history should one read? Granted a great many are slanted towards a Christian perspective but that is logical considering that most writing and such was perserved through the monastaries. The invasion cycles of old Ireland, the Edda's and Saga's of the North, even a large number of the Medeterrian basin stories preserved through being written down by clerics.

Yet even that is failable when one looks to which age. The romanized greek histories change with each generation. The very meaning and usage of word choices equally changing. Like I pointed out elsewhere Medea changed from a sorceress in early accounts to a witch in later ones. Circe having the same things done to her through historical accounts and re-tellings.

Knowledge is seen as power and truth, yet the farther away one moves from the source tales the more untruth one finds. Yet that very untruth arising due to the change and evolution of the words used to record it and the notion of what it actually was.

I think many tend to avoid parts of it simply from the position they have read and do not fully understand the parts they read. After a bit it becomes about more than just reading an older book but about all the colleteral requirements needed to understand the book. Which of course doesn't even trully touch upon the translation and who translated it.

The very notion of the name Pachet associated to Bast is due to a bad translation of an older text.
    I mostly focused on the glass blowers because of the fact that I'm tired of getting information that I later on find out is false. However there are other sources that I look to and that includes e-How and a number of other sites. Wikipedia is the worse one, as I've said before, and I'm always warning others to avoid it. I've seen pictures of other witch balls that did include the gored and even the witch bottles. But the round ones seem to be the most popular and the one that you see in most books that talk about Traditional practices. Of course when I get my two books then I'll see if any different pictures were added of the same thing.

I'll let you know how that ends up.

Oh if you go on www.witchball.net they talk about them as well. Of course I also mentioned that they were known as friendship balls and oh they had some stupid comment to make about that and that included the following "If you were really someone's friend why would you give them something like that."

I dont necessarily think that its b/c people arent reading, but everyone is interested in different things and are more familar with different topics than yourself. Just b/c I dont know about witchballs doesnt mean im not famiilar at least in part with the history of the path Im on. I may not know all witchballs, but maybe Im well versed in something you have no idea about.

Of course, that guy who refuted the witchballs...he sounds like one of those you just can teach regardless of proof..lol. And that kind is found in every religion.

Off Topic but something you might find interesting.

Until about 20 years ago probally glass balls of various sizes were used in the fishing industry as net floats. I have 4 of them today, three the size of a mush mellon (abt 5 inch) and one the size of a large bean ball (abt 2 ft). We used to go down to the beach in northern Japan after large storms and you'd usually find 2 or 3 of the medium or small sized ones washed up on shore. I bough the large one in a store.

Like regular blown glass they were of a opaic green color or a bluish color for some of the smaller ones. Had the plug indention to show where they connected to the rod when blown and rolled.

While most of them where simply glass balls used as floats, every once in a blue moon type thing you'd find one that had something in it. Not sea water but other things, sea shells, sand dollars, hooks that made you think there was some sort of water magics being utilized.

So not all bottle magics were witch-bottles. I never did find anything in any books or stories about the glass balls used as floats but I did see a few that were "Fixed" so know that it was done as recently as 20 years ago when I was stationed in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    Off Topic but something you might find interesting.

Until about 20 years ago probally glass balls of various sizes were used in the fishing industry as net floats. I have 4 of them today, three the size of a mush mellon (abt 5 inch) and one the size of a large bean ball (abt 2 ft). We used to go down to the beach in northern Japan after large storms and you'd usually find 2 or 3 of the medium or small sized ones washed up on shore. I bough the large one in a store.

Like regular blown glass they were of a opaic green color or a bluish color for some of the smaller ones. Had the plug indention to show where they connected to the rod when blown and rolled.

While most of them where simply glass balls used as floats, every once in a blue moon type thing you'd find one that had something in it. Not sea water but other things, sea shells, sand dollars, hooks that made you think there was some sort of water magics being utilized.

So not all bottle magics were witch-bottles. I never did find anything in any books or stories about the glass balls used as floats but I did see a few that were "Fixed" so know that it was done as recently as 20 years ago when I was stationed in Japan.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in all sorts of things and it seems that witch balls and witch bottles have caught my attention. I'm going to look more into them and into everything that has to deal with English cunning folk and practices.

Quote Originally Posted by EavanStar View Post
    I dont necessarily think that its b/c people arent reading, but everyone is interested in different things and are more familar with different topics than yourself. Just b/c I dont know about witchballs doesnt mean im not famiilar at least in part with the history of the path Im on. I may not know all witchballs, but maybe Im well versed in something you have no idea about.

Of course, that guy who refuted the witchballs...he sounds like one of those you just can teach regardless of proof..lol. And that kind is found in every religion.
    I really hate it when people don't want to learn and didn't mean to insult you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
    I really hate it when people don't want to learn and didn't mean to insult you.
    Oh, you didnt!!! :D I was just saying that we may all bring different things to the table. I also dislike when people dont want to learn about things that would benefit them based on their personal views and such.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Wouldn't it be like asking why so many Christians don't read the Tanakh?

For a lot of people it's just no a relevant reading for their spiritual practices. Especially, I'd imagine, for Wiccans.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by EavanStar View Post
    Oh, you didnt!!! :D I was just saying that we may all bring different things to the table. I also dislike when people dont want to learn about things that would benefit them based on their personal views and such.
    I'm glad that you weren't insulted and I agree with you.

Mine is an experiential practice, and I read what is relevant to my needs and curiosity at the time.
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

I'm not sure what sort of Wiccans we're talking about here, but all of the Alexandrians in Ireland(who are Witches) are required to study and write essays on folklore.
    Semper Fidelis

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast