Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atheists DO have beauty in their lives.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.

Atheists DO have beauty in their lives.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while, with having theists tell me they feel sorry for me, because I have no beauty in my life.

But I do! So much beauty.

I don't know what they think. Do they think that just because I don't believe in deities, that I went blind, deaf and stupid when I became an atheist? That my eyes are dulled now that I don't believe in deities? Do they think belief in a deity makes colors brighter, sunsets more striking and the scent of flowers more nuanced?

Do they think that love becomes more special, sex is better and people are nicer because they believe in a deity?

Do they think life is more special if there is an "overseer" or "creator"? Do they think I'm not as awed by nature now as I was when I "believed" (if I ever really did) in deities? Do they think that the rapid expansion theory (Big Bang theory) is less special than the world being created by a deity?

I've never understood the reasoning behind it. Does belief in a deity turn the world glitter like Edward Cullens pale skin in sunlight? Do they believe that? And how would they know if they've never properly lacked the belief? (And no, uncertainty does not count. Lack of belief is what we're talking about here)

Why do they believe this?
    Do you believe things are more beautiful with a deity?
    Have you been accused of having no beauty in your life?

I have found things to be more beautiful because I can appreciate them for what they are instead of having to add layers of mythology over it.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

I don't believe that believing in deity makes my life, or the world, better. I just believe deity is there. The world is beautiful on its own merits. I don't look at a tree and think "wow, that tree's so beautiful because I believe in deity", I think it's beautiful because of its shape, its colour, its flower.

I'm sure there may be some who believe the things you've said, but we should perhaps be careful of generalizing. I believe in deity, and your entire post was one big quirked eyebrow to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruinn View Post
    I don't believe that believing in deity makes my life, or the world, better. I just believe deity is there. The world is beautiful on its own merits. I don't look at a tree and think "wow, that tree's so beautiful because I believe in deity", I think it's beautiful because of its shape, its colour, its flower.

I'm sure there may be some who believe the things you've said, but we should perhaps be careful of generalizing. I believe in deity, and your entire post was one big quirked eyebrow to me.
    If you read my posts you'll see I had theists tell me this, and those were who I was referring to when I said "they", which is also why I didn't say "Does theists really..." but "Do they really..." It's not a generalization, it's referring to the people who HAVE told me this.

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm sorry, that didn't come across. In that case, I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes people just get stuck in their ways and find it hard to understand people who are different, even in more liberal spiritualities.

I'd say to just explain your point of view. You've expressed clearly that you do see beauty in the world. Explain that you don't need their pity or them looking down on you; your point of view is just as valid.

I think it's really sad that people would say that to you.
    Last edited by Aruinn; March 31st, 2011 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruinn View Post
    I'm sorry, that didn't come across. In that case, I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes people just get stuck in their ways and find it hard to understand people who are different, even in more liberal spiritualities.

I'd say to just explain your point of view. You've expressed clearly that you do see beauty in the world. Explain that you don't need their pity or them looking down on you; your point of view is just as valid.
    Yeah, I've tried doing that. But they maintain that if I had beauty in my life I would believe.

I think some people seriously think they see the deity in everything and it makes things more... I don't know... sparkling?
    As if they're drinking Moet and I'm drinking the cheapest still wine found in the store. It's odd.

Anyone who thinks it's impossible for a person to have one without the other is just a complete idiot anyway.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

Quote Originally Posted by WokeUpDead View Post
    Anyone who thinks it's impossible for a person to have one without the other is just a complete idiot anyway.
    QFT

There was beauty in my life long before their was a deity involved. My life is different now, but that's a reflection on myself, and nobody else. People should be left to live their lives as they wish (assuming nobody else is being harmed in the process) and everyone else should just STFU and mind their own business.

is offline Jewish Renewalist/Who knows?
    Not quite the same, but it reminds me of this xkcd cartoon:
    http://xkcd.com/877/

I guess people see beauty in different things for different reasons, and it's hard for some people to grasp that if they have been conditioned to see other people's views as wrong.
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

well of course they do. we all can find beauty in our lives without spirituality being involved.
    Last edited by aluokaloo; March 31st, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

I don't know why they would say that. I was an Atheist for a long time, and I wasn't lacking in the life and beauty department.

Some people are just morons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast