Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Atheists DO have beauty in their lives.

Right on. Good for you. At some point maybe I'll find something similar myself.

- Tip-toeing the raggedy edge of something magnificently dark but truly amazing...

It reminds me of those that think without a higher power you can't be a moral person. I think some people need a reason for things. Some just accept that things are.

I live a virtuous life because I choose to. I don't need a higher power to threaten punishment or reward to do it. I see beauty all around me, not because God created it, but because I find nature beautiful. I enjoy the changes that happen all around me without any help from anyone. Science, on some level, is behind every beautiful thing.

In a way, science is god, I suppose.

Does that add anything to this conversation? I don't know. LOL! IT's 6:30 am already and I have not slept yet. So if I sound incoherent I'm sorry!
    Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

I was in a workshop this weekend where some theistic and non-theistic Pagans got to have this conversation. I don't have "ANSWERS", but I may have gotten some insight.

The theists talked a lot about love: the love they feel for their deities and receive in return. Several expressed sadness that we don't have that.

We explained that we do have that love: for each other, for nature and the Cosmos, for ourselves. Of course, that led to some of them wondering how we could feel fulfilled loving something (in the case of nature and the Cosmos) that didn't return that love, but someone told an amazing story of a "mystical" experience she'd had of understanding how she, as a living organism, connected into the wider web of existence, and how that was that love for her. I think that got our point across pretty well.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

On Sunday, I took part in a "Peripatetic Salon" with some fellow naturalistic pagans. We walked through beautiful woodlands along the banks of the Mississippi River and talked about any danged thing that came to our minds, connecting with Nature, our locale, and each other. Man, if that's not beauty, I don't know what is.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

I'm sorry theists tell you this.

When I considered myself a Secular Humanist I felt an incredible sense of awe at the universe. My life had purpose, meaning, and beauty.

My reasons for my current beliefs are my own but anyone that would say they "feel sorry" for you are just ignorant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2