Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scared to meditate.

is offline when she comes you'll ask her to stay

Scared to meditate.

Hi everyone,
    I have a bit of a problem. I try to meditate at night, because I'm at school and busy during the day time. I really want to start meditating, but when it comes down to it, I'll close my eyes, try to clear my mind, etc... But then I'll get this really creeped out type of feeling and I snap my eyes open and look around. I try to keep my eyes closed and ignore it, but I feel like something is just slowly creeping closer to me, and if I don't open my eyes, it will "get me".
    I'm pretty sure there really is nothing there, and that I'm just being paranoid, but I can't help but be scared. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I get over this?
    I'm generally a frightened, paranoid type of person. I sleep with two night lights, get very scared alone at night, constantly looking over my shoulder, etc. I've had this feeling like I'm being watched or something's coming towards me a lot of times too when I'm trying to sleep, but I can just pray and it goes away.

Can anyone offer some advice, please?

You don't have to meditate with your eyes closed. You can just look at a candle, or - do you have Windows Media Player? Some of the visualizations in it are amazing. And then you can play some soothing music too.
    ... And while you're at it, keep the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul. <3

Somewhere Dark and confusing,but sometimes comfortable
    I used to be the same way,I couldn't meditate at night because it was too silent and the silence made the darkness that much creepier to me.

I use a sound machine now and I hold on to something familiar and comforting when I meditate. Something filled with good memories(preferably,good childhood memories.)

Maybey you should give that a shot.Also I suggest maybey geting ahold of a lava lamp and focusing on it and the movements of the liquids in it when you meditate. It gives of a source of light and it gives you something to focus on other than your fears. Whenever your fears start to sneak up on you,just think of the lava lamp like a sheild. The light it gives of protects you from harm and keeps you relaxed and in the right set of mind.

Something else,I know it might sound abit odd but try throwing out a quick prayer to Archangel Michael to cut the cords of your fear(s) and only allow the loving and wise energies of the divine(if you do worship some form of divine being/energy)in to your little light sheild. It helps me alot and he is a nondenominational and unlimited being,Meaning that you don't have to belong to a certain religious group to gain his aid and he can aid all who call apon him(Same for Archangel Raphael).

Good luck!
    Last edited by U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya; April 3rd, 2011 at 10:39 PM.

What I mean to say is,Yes,In the end we are all in the same boat.We're all just too busy trying to sink eachother to see it.~Me

Change is the only consistant thing in this world~Me

I am a Women,Therefore it is in my very Nature to be soul deep,caring,Increadibly complex and a constant source of awe and headaches!~Me

Exactly Why is it that 'With all Due Respect' really means kiss my ass.~Me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://cooltext.com/

Quote Originally Posted by flyingparachute View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I've had this feeling like I'm being watched or something's coming towards me a lot of times too when I'm trying to sleep, but I can just pray and it goes away.
    Quick question: I know you said you don't think anything is really there, but...any deities hovering around you?

When I first started out, my patron used to do this to me and I'd be lying through my teeth if I tried to tell you it didn't freak me out (nothing like that sense of something sneaking up on you to get your attention). Some deities are actually known for the "follow and stare" method of recruitment. (I'm thinking of a few Wepwawet followers who have told me he stares a lot).

I obviously don't know the specifics of your situation, but it could be a divine somebody whose tapping at the edges of your awareness. (That would explain why you feel the presence mostly when the rest of your world is quiet or when you are in liminal spaces like meditative space or that "half dream" state when falling asleep.)

Just a thought...

I agree with U-we-tsi-a-ge-ya, sound machines are wonderful and making a talisman out of a comforting object is great idea.

On a more "mundane" level, if you have mirrors in your room, I advise getting rid of them. Psychologically, just glimpsing a small movement in a dark reflection is enough to induce paranoia in most people, even when they know it is only a mirror. Even if you don't consciously notice anything in it, the subliminal signals can really up the creepiness factor of a dark room.

"Technology can help nature understand itself." ~AUJIK
    Tumblr: Kemetic and Complicated

Quote Originally Posted by flyingparachute View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a bit of a problem. I try to meditate at night, because I'm at school and busy during the day time. I really want to start meditating, but when it comes down to it, I'll close my eyes, try to clear my mind, etc... But then I'll get this really creeped out type of feeling and I snap my eyes open and look around. I try to keep my eyes closed and ignore it, but I feel like something is just slowly creeping closer to me, and if I don't open my eyes, it will "get me".
    I'm pretty sure there really is nothing there, and that I'm just being paranoid, but I can't help but be scared. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I get over this?
    I'm generally a frightened, paranoid type of person. I sleep with two night lights, get very scared alone at night, constantly looking over my shoulder, etc. I've had this feeling like I'm being watched or something's coming towards me a lot of times too when I'm trying to sleep, but I can just pray and it goes away.

Can anyone offer some advice, please?
    I have yet to meditate in my apartment (been here since August). Not counting "just before falling asleep mini meditations". I just don't feel as safe here because I'm semi-subterranean and the windows could in theory be kicked in, and once in a meditative state, being whipped out is not advised and not easy..... (yeah, I am PARA-NOIIIIIIID..........) LOL

What used to help me FEEL safe was to cast a circle around where I sit (which should probably be done anyway), and have the four directions and corresponding elements helping to create the border (candle, glass of water, feather, rock).

My advice: lock your bedroom door, cast a circle, turn down/off the lights (candle light is enough) and keep your eyes open until you feel it is ok to close them. maybe you can arrange yourself so that you're staring at a blank wall, or the ceiling, so nothing is visually distacting you.

Don't do it if you're frightened. Meditation isn't really important.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Runa~ View Post
    Don't do it if you're frightened. Meditation isn't really important.
    Ummm...I'm really not sure how to reply to that, so I won't. Not important, though?!

What I will suggest, however, is to banish. (http://www.kheper.net/topics/Hermeticism/LBR.htm)

Get some sandalwood incense as well; it's helped me.
    "I worship the greatly beautiful one, with limbs the colour of thunderclouds, who is naked and sits on the corpse of Shiva, who has three eyes and earrings made of the bones of two young handsome boys, who is garlanded with skulls and flowers. In her lower left and upper right hands she holds a man's head and a sword, her other two hands bestowing boons and banishing fear. Her hair is greatly dishevelled."

-- Chapter 13, The
    Brihad Nila Tantra.

OMG that didn't sound right coming from me earlier. I must've been tired What I meant was if you're afraid to meditate then don't try at that time, IF you're feeling scared. What you need to do is realise that it's not too important enough to do it just then and there and you can try again another time. Have a go another time when you're feeling more relaxed.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverEyedScarab View Post

On a more "mundane" level, if you have mirrors in your room, I advise getting rid of them. Psychologically, just glimpsing a small movement in a dark reflection is enough to induce paranoia in most people, even when they know it is only a mirror. Even if you don't consciously notice anything in it, the subliminal signals can really up the creepiness factor of a dark room.
    Same goes for closet doors! xD I CANNOT meditate (or sleep, or do much of anything) if my closet doors are closed, because I always think something scary (MONSTERS?) are going to come out of it. It has to be open, with no scary clothes-shapes. :<

Yes, I can be like. Ten, sometimes. xD But it's important, okay!
    ... And while you're at it, keep the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul. <3

is offline <-- My own damn artwork for a change
    Probably your ego boundaries are feeling threatened, if you are trying to let go of the "I" or even close to doing so there can be a feeling of panic, a feeling of being about to flip out
    "One between two worlds chants, "fire walk with me""

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast