Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: EU has banned herbal remedies

I don't go to doctors. Can't afford it, and even when I can afford it, they're pretty well useless to me. All I get is, "Wow, that's strange, but we can't figure out what's wrong with you." And, "Here, take a pill."

It really is all about the money. Big pharma has it, and big pharma wants to keep it. They can't get exclusive rights to traditional, herbal remedies, so instead, they lobby to ban them. Why let people take a simple herb that will help their problems with very few side effects for less than $20, when they can force those people to take $500 pills that cause more problems than they treat, then those people have to take more $500 pills to treat the problems caused by the first pill.
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Quote Originally Posted by dandalion View Post
    This is the fault of the consumer, not the product... just as with the ones that get multiple prescriptions from multiple doctors and mix them with harmful or deadly results...
    True, but regardless that does not necessarily make the legislature change their votes.

Quote Originally Posted by dandalion View Post
    There is a HUGE following (almost 34 billion dollars) of natural/alternative medication Follow the money and you can see why the pharmaceutical companies want this done... its cutting into their slice of pie... and this was in 2009...
    I'd like to see how much more money is being spent on prescription drugs vs. herbs. Is that in the link as well? I don't have time to look right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
    I'd like to see how much more money is being spent on prescription drugs vs. herbs. Is that in the link as well? I don't have time to look right now.
    How much money is spent on one v. the other is not going to be a true measure of the popularity of herbal treatments.

For instance, St. John's Wort is a common herb used for the treatment of mild depression. I can get 60 capsules for about $10. Compare that to buying Prozac, a common prescription used for the treatment of depression, which runs $408 for 60 capsules according to Drugstore.com. Add to that cost the cost of going to the doctor to get the prescription for Prozac. So 40 people could be taking St. John's Wort for every 1 that takes Prozac, but if you compare the money spent, they'd seem to have the same amount of popularity.
    ~*~

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

And yet another reason to hate the EU... sigh!
    Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows
    For nine long nights,
    Pierced by a spear, pledged to Odhinn,
    Offered, myself to myself
    The wisest know not from whence spring
    The roots of that ancient rood

They gave me no bread,
    They gave me no mead,
    I looked down;
    with a loud cry
    I took up runes;
    from that tree I fell

-Hávamál

Source?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2171781.html

From 1 May 2011, traditional herbal medicinal products must be licensed or prescribed by a registered herbal practitioner to comply with an EU directive passed in 2004. The directive was introduced in response to rising concern over adverse effects caused by herbal medicines.
    So it's not a complete ban, but a regulation?

Under EU law, statutorily regulated herbal practitioners will be permitted to continue prescribing unlicensed products. But the Coalition Government and the previous Labour administration have delayed plans to introduce a statutory herbal practitioner register.
    And some herbal practitioners will still be able to prescribed unlicensed products.

A review of the codes of conduct by which alternative practitioners were bound found the "vast majority" did not include an obligation to report adverse effects, he said. The only exception was the Chinese Herbal Medicine Code which advised members to report "cases of industrial poisoning or accident".
    Mhmmm...

And in all fairness, the legislation was put into place in 2004, giving the herbal remedies which had been marketed prior to the legislation the time necessary to obtain the licence.

http://www.thereader.es/en/spain-new...edicinesq.html
    The Committee on Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPC), responsible for the authorisation of these types of medicines, said that "The HMPC's activities aim at assisting the harmonisation of procedures and provisions concerning herbal medicinal products laid down in EU Member States, and further integrating herbal medicinal products in the European regulatory framework."

"As part of these objectives, the HMPC provides EU Member States and European institutions its scientific opinion on questions relating to herbal medicinal products. The HMPC is composed of scientific experts in the field of herbal medicinal products. It has one member and one alternate member nominated by each of the 27 EU Member States and by each of the EEA-EFTA states Iceland and Norway. The Chair is elected by serving HMPC members."

"Herbal medicines must be now manufactured under Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) to ensure the quality of the finished product and also demonstrate safety." added the HMPC.
    In other words, it's not a ban, it's a legislation to ensure that the herbal remedies are demonstrably safe, the quality is good and to streamline herbal remedies move into the mainstream medical field. You can still get unlicensed remedies through a herbalist.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post
    Source?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-2171781.html

So it's not a complete ban, but a regulation?

And some herbal practitioners will still be able to prescribed unlicensed products.

Mhmmm...

And in all fairness, the legislation was put into place in 2004, giving the herbal remedies which had been marketed prior to the legislation the time necessary to obtain the licence.

http://www.thereader.es/en/spain-new...edicinesq.html

In other words, it's not a ban, it's a legislation to ensure that the herbal remedies are demonstrably safe, the quality is good and to streamline herbal remedies move into the mainstream medical field. You can still get unlicensed remedies through a herbalist.
    But the way I'm reading the law, they have no statute in place to register herbalists, which effectively makes herbal remedies impossible to obtain.
    ~*~

~*~

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_reaper View Post
    And yet another reason to hate the EU... sigh!
    There are many reasons to hate the EU, however the OP is not one of them since they were completely dishonest about WHAT this legislation is about.

It's a regulation.

And unless I am mistaken most of the herbal remedies in Swedish pharmacies are registered already. But I might be wrong.

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by aranarose View Post
    But the way I'm reading the law, they have no statute in place to register herbalists, which effectively makes herbal remedies impossible to obtain.
    No, it makes unregistered herbal remedies hard to obtain, further more, I haven't read a single thing that says you can't use herbs by yourself from your back yard.

That they haven't put in a register yet is not unsurprising, since you'd have to make it a EU wide registry with EU wide conditions. And they're known for doing things a little patch worky.

authorised herbal remedies

Authorised herbal medicinal products

Registered Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products

St Johns Worth teas are OK, Valeriana officinalis tablets, Ginkgo biloba products and ginseng products, a bunch of Echinacea products... so are a lot of things there. In Sweden the change is going to be close to none since most of the companies made sure to register the frikkin' products. The authorization isn't hard to get as long as the product has a history as a natural remedy and it WORKS.
    Last edited by Aeon Flux; April 4th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ćon Flux View Post
    No, it makes unregistered herbal remedies hard to obtain, further more, I haven't read a single thing that says you can't use herbs by yourself from your back yard.

That they haven't put in a register yet is not unsurprising, since you'd have to make it a EU wide registry with EU wide conditions. And they're known for doing things a little patch worky.

authorised herbal remedies

Authorised herbal medicinal products

Registered Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products

St Johns Worth teas are OK, Valeriana officinalis tablets, Ginkgo biloba products and ginseng products, a bunch of Echinacea products... so are a lot of things there. In Sweden the change is going to be close to none since most of the companies made sure to register the frikkin' products. The authorization isn't hard to get as long as the product has a history as a natural remedy and it WORKS.
    Then that makes a bit more sense. Just means you can't get ground tiger penis to get yourself a hard on now LOL
    ~*~

~*~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast