Thread: Raised runes?

Raised runes?

Once upon a time, a blind friend of mine was looking for a set of runes. We were hoping to find a set with raised markings which would be easier to read. Unfortunately, the only runes I heard of like that were in an occult shop in Georgia that the person mentioning it couldn't remember the name of.

Does anyone know of a place that sells runes with raised markings? Or a way to do this? We thought about trying clay, but I'm afraid clay runes will break too easily. (Also, I don't have access to a kiln, and I don't have the clay.)

Thanks!
    Love is the song that we sing. Love is everything.

Greenwick Press Blog
    The Happy Safe Place

Clay is actually a lot stronger that you might think! You could always buy some FIMO or other polymer clay at a craft supply store. It's quite inexpensive, and can be baked in the oven, or even air dried.
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwick View Post
    Once upon a time, a blind friend of mine was looking for a set of runes. We were hoping to find a set with raised markings which would be easier to read. Unfortunately, the only runes I heard of like that were in an occult shop in Georgia that the person mentioning it couldn't remember the name of.

Does anyone know of a place that sells runes with raised markings? Or a way to do this? We thought about trying clay, but I'm afraid clay runes will break too easily. (Also, I don't have access to a kiln, and I don't have the clay.)

Thanks!
    Yeah, try something like Fimo and Sculpey. You can let it air dry or bake it in your regular oven.

I have 3 sets of clay runes and they are my favorite. One set I cast daily and it's never cracked or broke.

I made mine with sculpey and have never had an issue. As for raising the symbol, I personally would use cut pieces of wire, cord or even rolled up sculpey under a clear glaze.

I'm on board with the sculpy clay as well, it is pretty easy to work with.
    Alternatively you could draw the runes with a 'puffy' type of paint or glue.
    Just make sure you seal it well to keep the designs from rubbing or peeling off.

TWM's Blog

Check out MWMagazine!
    MW FORUM GUIDE - Dreams and Divination + A Pagan's Life.