Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you contact a familiar?

How do you contact a familiar?

Can anyone tell me more about this and what's the easiest way to do so?

Do you even know what a familiar is? Not trying to be snarky or mean, but just from reading some of your other posts, I get the feeling you may not necessarily understand what all you are asking (not saying I do either).
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.

A familiar chooses you you dont choose them its as simple as that.

If you like light a white candle on the full moon and say a prayer for your familiar to find you to help guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Symandinome View Post
    A familiar chooses you you dont choose them its as simple as that.

If you like light a white candle on the full moon and say a prayer for your familiar to find you to help guide you.
    This.

I've also always been told that if an animal walks into your unbroken circle then they are asking to be your familiar.

Are you sure you even want one? I hate to be a party pooper here, but familiars are understood to be spirits, usually malevolent, that help a witch and take animal form. They feed off energy and even blood from the witch. They aren't cute and friendly.

Just be wary of what you are getting yourself into
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Are you sure you even want one? I hate to be a party pooper here, but familiars are understood to be spirits, usually malevolent, that help a witch and take animal form. They feed off energy and even blood from the witch. They aren't cute and friendly.

Way to shoot down the happy-crappy... :cheers: I think most New Age/Pagan books out there make things out to be so cutesy that they really get away from the original intent. While I wouldn't necessarily refer to familiars as malevolent (mostly because I don't like holding spirits to human terms), I would say they are dangerous, they will drain you in more ways than one, and are most likely going to bite you in the ass. If you're looking for a fluffy companion, go buy a puppy.
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.

That is not what I was taught. That sounds more like something out of the witch trials than any tradition I have heard.

I was taught that familiars are not understood to actually be spirits, they help you communicate with spirits. I have never heard of a familiar having to be fed blood from their witch and the energy is exchanged, not just taken. So they give as much as they may take if they even do take anything.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    That is not what I was taught. That sounds more like something out of the witch trials than any tradition I have heard.

I was taught that familiars are not understood to actually be spirits, they help you communicate with spirits. I have never heard of a familiar having to be fed blood from their witch and the energy is exchanged, not just taken. So they give as much as they may take if they even do take anything.
    I am pretty much just going by historical context. *shrug* Historically speaking, a familiar was not a pet. Yeah, it's propaganda from the witch trials. The blood sucking thing actually was said to be given to the witch and it would leave a mark, called "Satan's Mark" or something of the sort, and that mark was what witch finder's used to find a witch. It was said the Devil gave the witch the familiar to increase in power. Many of the Goetia demons are even said to give the occultist good familiars when they are summoned.

I will say, to the OP...have you ever heard of servitors? A servitor can be thought of as a kind of familiar, that you take from yourself...a thoughtform, created usually from a sigil and used in magic to aid you and help you...it comes from you, so it is part of you, and when you are through, you absorb it back into you.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I am pretty much just going by historical context. *shrug* Historically speaking, a familiar was not a pet. Yeah, it's propaganda from the witch trials. The blood sucking thing actually was said to be given to the witch and it would leave a mark, called "Satan's Mark" or something of the sort, and that mark was what witch finder's used to find a witch. It was said the Devil gave the witch the familiar to increase in power. Many of the Goetia demons are even said to give the occultist good familiars when they are summoned.

I will say, to the OP...have you ever heard of servitors? A servitor can be thought of as a kind of familiar, that you take from yourself...a thoughtform, created usually from a sigil and used in magic to aid you and help you...it comes from you, so it is part of you, and when you are through, you absorb it back into you.

The only historically accurate information from the witch trials is that a lot of people were killed for no reason.

I cannot believe you would continue such obvious bullshit propaganda. I mean really, you just posted something that is complete crap and saying it is history is an insult to people who actually follow the path everywhere.

Nice way to take us back a few hundred years. BRAVO!

I don't know about the witch trials, but in the Medieval Grimoire tradition and dating as far back to the period of Graeco-Egyptian magic (as evident in the collection of magical texts dating between 2nd Century B.C.E. to 5th Century C.E. today known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae), the term "familiar" is used to denote a supernatural assistant under the control of the magician or witch. Such familiar spirits can be bound to physical bodies (i.e. an animal) or totemic objects (i.e. an amulet) - to be called upon by the Magician or With to do his or her bidding.

There are many spells in the Papyri Graecae Magicae designed to help the practitioner summon and bind a spirit to become his/her familiar. Also, as Selah pointed out several Grimoires mention specific spirits that when summoned will grant the magician a familiar (i.e. the most famous of these being the Lesser Key of Solomon).
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast