Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How do you contact a familiar?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    48

    How do you contact a familiar?

    Can anyone tell me more about this and what's the easiest way to do so?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Philadelphia, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    191
    Do you even know what a familiar is? Not trying to be snarky or mean, but just from reading some of your other posts, I get the feeling you may not necessarily understand what all you are asking (not saying I do either).
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    43
    A familiar chooses you you dont choose them its as simple as that.

    If you like light a white candle on the full moon and say a prayer for your familiar to find you to help guide you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Symandinome View Post
    A familiar chooses you you dont choose them its as simple as that.

    If you like light a white candle on the full moon and say a prayer for your familiar to find you to help guide you.
    This.

    I've also always been told that if an animal walks into your unbroken circle then they are asking to be your familiar.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,680
    Are you sure you even want one? I hate to be a party pooper here, but familiars are understood to be spirits, usually malevolent, that help a witch and take animal form. They feed off energy and even blood from the witch. They aren't cute and friendly.

    Just be wary of what you are getting yourself into
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Philadelphia, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Are you sure you even want one? I hate to be a party pooper here, but familiars are understood to be spirits, usually malevolent, that help a witch and take animal form. They feed off energy and even blood from the witch. They aren't cute and friendly.

    Just be wary of what you are getting yourself into
    Way to shoot down the happy-crappy... :cheers: I think most New Age/Pagan books out there make things out to be so cutesy that they really get away from the original intent. While I wouldn't necessarily refer to familiars as malevolent (mostly because I don't like holding spirits to human terms), I would say they are dangerous, they will drain you in more ways than one, and are most likely going to bite you in the ass. If you're looking for a fluffy companion, go buy a puppy.
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Are you sure you even want one? I hate to be a party pooper here, but familiars are understood to be spirits, usually malevolent, that help a witch and take animal form. They feed off energy and even blood from the witch. They aren't cute and friendly.

    Just be wary of what you are getting yourself into
    That is not what I was taught. That sounds more like something out of the witch trials than any tradition I have heard.

    I was taught that familiars are not understood to actually be spirits, they help you communicate with spirits. I have never heard of a familiar having to be fed blood from their witch and the energy is exchanged, not just taken. So they give as much as they may take if they even do take anything.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    That is not what I was taught. That sounds more like something out of the witch trials than any tradition I have heard.

    I was taught that familiars are not understood to actually be spirits, they help you communicate with spirits. I have never heard of a familiar having to be fed blood from their witch and the energy is exchanged, not just taken. So they give as much as they may take if they even do take anything.
    I am pretty much just going by historical context. *shrug* Historically speaking, a familiar was not a pet. Yeah, it's propaganda from the witch trials. The blood sucking thing actually was said to be given to the witch and it would leave a mark, called "Satan's Mark" or something of the sort, and that mark was what witch finder's used to find a witch. It was said the Devil gave the witch the familiar to increase in power. Many of the Goetia demons are even said to give the occultist good familiars when they are summoned.

    I will say, to the OP...have you ever heard of servitors? A servitor can be thought of as a kind of familiar, that you take from yourself...a thoughtform, created usually from a sigil and used in magic to aid you and help you...it comes from you, so it is part of you, and when you are through, you absorb it back into you.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I am pretty much just going by historical context. *shrug* Historically speaking, a familiar was not a pet. Yeah, it's propaganda from the witch trials. The blood sucking thing actually was said to be given to the witch and it would leave a mark, called "Satan's Mark" or something of the sort, and that mark was what witch finder's used to find a witch. It was said the Devil gave the witch the familiar to increase in power. Many of the Goetia demons are even said to give the occultist good familiars when they are summoned.

    I will say, to the OP...have you ever heard of servitors? A servitor can be thought of as a kind of familiar, that you take from yourself...a thoughtform, created usually from a sigil and used in magic to aid you and help you...it comes from you, so it is part of you, and when you are through, you absorb it back into you.

    The only historically accurate information from the witch trials is that a lot of people were killed for no reason.

    I cannot believe you would continue such obvious bullshit propaganda. I mean really, you just posted something that is complete crap and saying it is history is an insult to people who actually follow the path everywhere.

    Nice way to take us back a few hundred years. BRAVO!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    13
    I don't know about the witch trials, but in the Medieval Grimoire tradition and dating as far back to the period of Graeco-Egyptian magic (as evident in the collection of magical texts dating between 2nd Century B.C.E. to 5th Century C.E. today known as the Papyri Graecae Magicae), the term "familiar" is used to denote a supernatural assistant under the control of the magician or witch. Such familiar spirits can be bound to physical bodies (i.e. an animal) or totemic objects (i.e. an amulet) - to be called upon by the Magician or With to do his or her bidding.

    There are many spells in the Papyri Graecae Magicae designed to help the practitioner summon and bind a spirit to become his/her familiar. Also, as Selah pointed out several Grimoires mention specific spirits that when summoned will grant the magician a familiar (i.e. the most famous of these being the Lesser Key of Solomon).
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν
    ___________________________________________
    Reflections from the Black Stone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •