Thread: What kind of a Witch would you say I am based on these beliefs?

What kind of a Witch would you say I am based on these beliefs?

Eclectic Witch:
    Eclectic witches choose to incorperate some beliefs, practices, rituals etc, of a few, or many paths to form a unique one that suits their spiritual needs.

Pagan:
    A pagan finds divine inspiration in the natural world. A great many people call themselves Pagan, without following a specific religious or spiritual path beyond that. What most of these people will have in common is a reverence for the divine as expressed through the natural world.

Witchcraft:
    The practice of magick.

God:
    There is a creative force that has both masculine and feminine properties. Frequently, we refer to the "Goddess and God" to describe this energy in a way that the human mind can process.

Afterlife and Spirits:
    When we die we travel to the plane of existence called the spirit world. This is where we rest before continuing our journey. When we continue our journey we may be born into a new life. Another alternative is that we meld with nature becoming one with it, commonly becoming a land spirit, one reason why we always show respect for the spirits as they are the spirits of those that have passed before us. In the vast majority of cases however spirits will remain within the spirit world sometimes interacting, (or trying to,) with the living. We all have a fate and whatever that is, we may never know until it happens. A Ghost is a soul that doesn't not know it has crossed over into the ethereal realm, doesn't want to leave the physical world, was suddenly taken from the physical world and is confused, or is angry and refuses to move on into the Divine light.

Ethics:
    We should follow our hearts and take responsibility for our actions. Whatever energy we send out will have an effect sooner or later so we should always try to treat people how we want to be treated. And since the divine is not only in nature but within all things, we should respect one another as well.

Astrology:
    Distant cosmic objects, usually stars and planets, have an influence on human lives. The position of the sun, stars, moon and planets at the time of people's birth (not their conception) is said to shape their personality. Astrology can give you a deeper understanding of all your relationships -- with bosses, siblings, parents, children, friends and partners. Comparing a couple's birth chart alerts them to areas where their natures could come into conflict. Known as "synastry," this kind of analysis points out areas to challenge and support each other to fulfill your individual destinies. Astrology can also show you the type of people you would mesh well with either in friendship or more.

Magic:
    Magic is practiced for healing, prosperity, luck, romance, protection, psychic awareness, etc. Everyone has the ability to channel energy. We all have an inherent power within us to take control of our own lives and make things happen. When you learn to focus your energy, you will learn to increase it, channel it, and send it out into the world. Many witches use certain things such as gems, stones, candles, herbs, etc to aid them in their magic. Magic works hand in hand with the natural cycles of the earth and the will of the practitioner. Performing magic on a full moon, for example, is known to be extremely effective. To be truly effective in magical workings though, you must first be able to connect with those natural forces and since their are powers in nature and the divine runs throughout everything, spending time communing with it will raise your energy and keep you connected, therefor having a positive impact on your magic. Meditation is also very effective as it helps you to be calm, centered and focused.

Energy and Psychic abilities:
    We are all energy beings and connected through energy. Through this energy we can connect to each other and all things with our psychic senses and these senses are part of all nature and all people have these senses within them. Some are just more in tune with their abilities than others.

Cleansing Yourself and Areas of Negative Energy:
    Smudging with sage can clear away negative and stagnant energies from you and your home. It is a sacred practice that originated with Native American Indians. Sage drives out bad spirits, feelings, or influences, and also to keep bad spirits from entering or attaching to you. To do a smudging, burn the clippings of these herbs (dried), rub your hands in the smoke, and then gather the smoke and bring it into your body, or - rub it onto yourself; especially onto any area you feel needs spiritual healing. All the while visualizing that the unseen powers of the plant are cleansing your spirit or the area you are smudging.

Meditation:
    The idea behind meditation is to focus our mind on something, which in turn clears our minds of all the extra junk that gets thrown in during the day, which then leaves us feeling refreshed and more centered within ourselves. It's a great stress reliever and helps to open your mind and increase your psychic abilities. A simple meditation follows:

Select a time of day when you are less likely to be stressed. For some people, first thing in the morning works best.
    Choose a comfortable position to sit in. Avoid laying down.
    If you have relaxing music designed for meditation such as the sound of ocean waves, or running water, it can be helpful. However, if you notice that your mind become caught up in the sounds and it distracts you, you may decide to meditate in silence.
    Breathe deeply. Concentrate on each breathe. Cool air in through the nose... warm air out of the mouth. This helps your mind focus on one simple activity. In time, your mind will relax to the point that it no longer focuses on the act of breathing.
    If it helps to visualize something, keep it simple. Image a soothing view of the ocean or mountains, something that will help you to relax.
    Don't place time minimums or limits on your mediation. if you are only able to sit still for 5 or 10 minutes initially, don't worry, it will improve over time.

Divination:
    Divination is the art of prophecy. It can be used to see the past, interpret the present and predict the future. Many tools may be used in the practice if divination. These tools may include but are not limited to crystal balls, mirrors, tarot cards, runes, and pendulums.

Altar:
    Having a personal space or altar in your home is a great way to bring nature indoors and to give offerings and pay respect to the divine. Some common elements include: candles, a bowl of water, salt, incense (and incense holder or censor), flowers, berries, crystals and rocks, leaves, twigs, just about anything natural. Your altar becomes a personal expression of your spirit, your spirituality, and your magic. Your altar should be both decorative and functional and should "feel right" to you.

Hopefully this doesn't come across badly but all this reads as if you simply lifted some passages from a book or series of books. Yet it begets the question do you really know what it all means?

It's like Divination is so much more than just prophecy nor is it just prophecy. Augry looks into things, the cards are used to look into what might be, what could be and what maybe. Crystal balls are so much more than Harry Potter.

Your reference mentions Tarot cards yet there are skilled readers that use nothing more than a deck of playing cards.

Even the reference to smudging and it being said to have originated with the Native Americans is complete BS. The very statement showing you have no idea of what, when, where or how the various nations and ethnicities use it.

So if I answer your question based upon the book info you provided you are nothing more than a poser.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't come across badly but all this reads as if you simply lifted some passages from a book or series of books. Yet it begets the question do you really know what it all means?

It's like Divination is so much more than just prophecy nor is it just prophecy. Augry looks into things, the cards are used to look into what might be, what could be and what maybe. Crystal balls are so much more than Harry Potter.

Your reference mentions Tarot cards yet there are skilled readers that use nothing more than a deck of playing cards.

Even the reference to smudging and it being said to have originated with the Native Americans is complete BS. The very statement showing you have no idea of what, when, where or how the various nations and ethnicities use it.

So if I answer your question based upon the book info you provided you are nothing more than a poser.
    Everything I've learned has been from research. There are so many contrasting beliefs regarding witchcraft, what it means, what paganism is etc. I was simply asking in regards to what I've learned from my research of everything and how I've defined my beliefs, what tradition or type of witchcraft best aligns with my beliefs. I think u need to chill and not jump to conclusions about what peoples motives are here. I can't help the plethora of mixed definitions and explanations for the things such as divination, smudging, etc. There is a lot of information out there and btw smudging I read about on wikipedia I believe. Where are your sources? I've also read dictionaries for other terms and encyclopedias for others. Since you seem to know so much about everything perhaps you could offer your sources of knowledge and help me to better understand.

brandonc1981 wrote: Everything I've learned has been from research. There are so many contrasting beliefs regarding witchcraft, what it means, what paganism is etc.
    Most of us have learnt from research as well. Yet the thing to my perspective is you have to take it farther than just that.

For instance I follow the goddesses Hekate, Artemis, Bast and Pahket. In that I have read everything I can get my hands on about them. The mythological items, the historical items, the archelogicial items, women's studies on childbirth in the ancient world, women's menstural practices. The list goes on and on for each item holds a clue to the greater picture.

Heck even the practice of coinage and the reasons why the images were selected. For instance Artemis / Diana / Mary of Ephesos is associated to Bee's. Most of thier coinage has bee's on it. The priestesses of the temple were called Bee Maiden's. Why? Because bee keeping was a substantial practice and of economic importance about Ephesos / Ephesus.

I was simply asking in regards to what I've learned from my research of everything and how I've defined my beliefs, what tradition or type of witchcraft best aligns with my beliefs.
    But you weren't conveying what you believe or have learnt. You were aping what other's have said, even to the point of simply repeating thier passages from books or the internet.

Yet in all your many posts in this thread and the others I have not yet seen you say the how, why or whatnot of what you fell or think of a thing. It is in those passages that one comes to understand what you think and believe. It is in that picture that unfolds that we gain an idea of what "YOU" are. The critical facet in that whole process being the "WHY" of how you see it.

I think u need to chill and not jump to conclusions about what peoples motives are here. I can't help the plethora of mixed definitions and explanations for the things such as divination, smudging, etc.
    Actually I'm not jumping to anything. In order to do that there would have to be some personal perspective to your input and so far there has been none that I can see. Like I said above to my perspective therein lies the issue for we can't tell or speak upon what is being presented from some author's static words when the very issue is dynamic.

There is a lot of information out there and btw smudging I read about on wikipedia I believe. Where are your sources?
    Firstly I can tell you it's not wikipedia. I use source material that is actually verifiable and has a core of critical thinking and analysis of content. The very lack of critical though, imperical evidence and simple credentials of author is one reason wikipedia is not seen in any academic setting as a valid resource.

My sources? Many are from actually having been to many of the spots and witnessed what goes on there. I can't explain the sensation one has to Etna until you see it rise on the horizon as you sail towards it. To know the sense of Etna , Vesuvius until you see the smoke trail laid out across the heavens as it eruptions or coughs and you hear it, see it, smell it and in some instances wear it.

Tales of sea magics, mysteries of the deep and the imposing lunar night are things I've done and influence my perspectives.

Sources, one has to read the edda's, the saga's, the many stories and fables that have come down through the ages. The national fables of creation and stories of the gods. Even then all that simply leeds you to new fields of research and endeavor as you try to understand it. To learn ancient language, word usage, to discover the elder lunar calendars that were in use before the solar calendars of today.

My degree is in history and sociology so I read many things to enable me to critically think about the material being presented.

My source's are also being born into a Blue Ridge family tradition. Having been adopted and initiated into an Italian folk stregian tradition. Of having died and returned and touched by the gods / goddess and pushed into a Hedgewitch / Shamanic practice coupled to a Greenwitch pathway.

I've also read dictionaries for other terms and encyclopedias for others. Since you seem to know so much about everything perhaps you could offer your sources of knowledge and help me to better understand.
    Dictionaires are fine for some base line inputs but they fail terribly in others. Look up WU and try to decide which meaning was being used when you read some ancient Chinesse text that uses it. The very word even in modern usage has three meanings driven by how one enuciates it. That doesn't even touch upon the fact that WU is also the Chinesse name for Japan. Most of that I simply recall from my college classes on East Asian civilization.

They also fail in that words are used at times that are close to a thing but never mean it. For instance Native American's never understood the phrase to own the land for they didn't relate to it that way. Yet that is what the dictonaries say about it. Yet there is still no word in many native languages for that concept.

I do not recall the tale off the top of my head but saging is describe in at least two european tales. One speaks of the gods blowing upon the person and their home to cleans and push away creatures. Other's speak of using the head of the Gorgon to ward and drive away evil and protect those that live or function within. Heck many Greeko-Roman temples had gorgons in the friscos that were carved into the temples to keep them safe and free of negativity.

Yet you have to study the usage of Gorgon imagery to find that part out.

Yeah I perhaps do know alot though I find myself lacking in knowledge. Yet my teachers refused to allow me to simply ape what others had written I had to be able to prove and explain why and make it my own.

That is one facet of all your threads that is lacking to my perspective, you have not made it your own and thereby have not presented to show what it means to you. Not a slam just an observation.

Most of us have learnt from research as well. Yet the thing to my perspective is you have to take it farther than just that.

For instance I follow the goddesses Hekate, Artemis, Bast and Pahket. In that I have read everything I can get my hands on about them. The mythological items, the historical items, the archelogicial items, women's studies on childbirth in the ancient world, women's menstural practices. The list goes on and on for each item holds a clue to the greater picture.

Heck even the practice of coinage and the reasons why the images were selected. For instance Artemis / Diana / Mary of Ephesos is associated to Bee's. Most of thier coinage has bee's on it. The priestesses of the temple were called Bee Maiden's. Why? Because bee keeping was a substantial practice and of economic importance about Ephesos / Ephesus.

But you weren't conveying what you believe or have learnt. You were aping what other's have said, even to the point of simply repeating thier passages from books or the internet.

Yet in all your many posts in this thread and the others I have not yet seen you say the how, why or whatnot of what you fell or think of a thing. It is in those passages that one comes to understand what you think and believe. It is in that picture that unfolds that we gain an idea of what "YOU" are. The critical facet in that whole process being the "WHY" of how you see it.

Actually I'm not jumping to anything. In order to do that there would have to be some personal perspective to your input and so far there has been none that I can see. Like I said above to my perspective therein lies the issue for we can't tell or speak upon what is being presented from some author's static words when the very issue is dynamic.

Firstly I can tell you it's not wikipedia. I use source material that is actually verifiable and has a core of critical thinking and analysis of content. The very lack of critical though, imperical evidence and simple credentials of author is one reason wikipedia is not seen in any academic setting as a valid resource.

My sources? Many are from actually having been to many of the spots and witnessed what goes on there. I can't explain the sensation one has to Etna until you see it rise on the horizon as you sail towards it. To know the sense of Etna , Vesuvius until you see the smoke trail laid out across the heavens as it eruptions or coughs and you hear it, see it, smell it and in some instances wear it.

Tales of sea magics, mysteries of the deep and the imposing lunar night are things I've done and influence my perspectives.

Sources, one has to read the edda's, the saga's, the many stories and fables that have come down through the ages. The national fables of creation and stories of the gods. Even then all that simply leeds you to new fields of research and endeavor as you try to understand it. To learn ancient language, word usage, to discover the elder lunar calendars that were in use before the solar calendars of today.

My degree is in history and sociology so I read many things to enable me to critically think about the material being presented.

My source's are also being born into a Blue Ridge family tradition. Having been adopted and initiated into an Italian folk stregian tradition. Of having died and returned and touched by the gods / goddess and pushed into a Hedgewitch / Shamanic practice coupled to a Greenwitch pathway.

Dictionaires are fine for some base line inputs but they fail terribly in others. Look up WU and try to decide which meaning was being used when you read some ancient Chinesse text that uses it. The very word even in modern usage has three meanings driven by how one enuciates it. That doesn't even touch upon the fact that WU is also the Chinesse name for Japan. Most of that I simply recall from my college classes on East Asian civilization.

They also fail in that words are used at times that are close to a thing but never mean it. For instance Native American's never understood the phrase to own the land for they didn't relate to it that way. Yet that is what the dictonaries say about it. Yet there is still no word in many native languages for that concept.

I do not recall the tale off the top of my head but saging is describe in at least two european tales. One speaks of the gods blowing upon the person and their home to cleans and push away creatures. Other's speak of using the head of the Gorgon to ward and drive away evil and protect those that live or function within. Heck many Greeko-Roman temples had gorgons in the friscos that were carved into the temples to keep them safe and free of negativity.

Yet you have to study the usage of Gorgon imagery to find that part out.

Yeah I perhaps do know alot though I find myself lacking in knowledge. Yet my teachers refused to allow me to simply ape what others had written I had to be able to prove and explain why and make it my own.

That is one facet of all your threads that is lacking to my perspective, you have not made it your own and thereby have not presented to show what it means to you. Not a slam just an observation.
    Thanks I appreciate all of your profound and wonderful knowledge. I enjoyed taking the time to read what i'm sure took you some time to type out. Thank you dear friend. Thank you very much.

Bahahaahaaa!!!!! I'm sorry Brandonc, but this just made me snort coffee all over my computer screen. I think pregnancy has made me mean. But really, from reading your OP, I would have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc1981 View Post
    Everything I've learned has been from research.
    There's a difference between learning from research, and regurgitating what you've read. I'm currently taking a course called "Mask and Masquerade", which discusses many of the masking traditions in certain areas of the world (Africa, North America, and Melanesia). I'm learning about the importance of the beaded crown of the 16 kings in Yoruba culture, the Hamatsa cult in Kwakuitl culture, and yam masks of the Sepik peoples. But it's in applying that learning with my impressions and thoughts and [can't think of the word I want] that really makes it something I've learned. I could just copy from a book, but then I really have made no connection with the material. That's what research and learning really is, making that personal connection and applying it in some way.

There are so many contrasting beliefs regarding witchcraft, what it means, what paganism is etc. I was simply asking in regards to what I've learned from my research of everything and how I've defined my beliefs, what tradition or type of witchcraft best aligns with my beliefs.
    Sorry to break it to you, but that's really just how it is. If you're not looking for a deep spiritual experience, I suggest limiting yourself to the Wicca/New Age/Paganism 101 books or finding a Christian church that just tells you how to think. But if you want that sense of fulfillment that comes from truly understanding and practicing a meaningful belief, be prepared for hard work (no matter the spirituality or religion). Why do you think Christians have so many Bible study books? Because that's how they really connect with their faith. I wish we had some books more like that... Digression over. Paganism, and witchcraft, are two very loaded, very broad terms. One could argue that you aren't a pagan if you live in the city, or that are no true practicing pagans if your belief is based on European practices and cults since there are no living ancient European traditions. Same with witchcraft, some Christians would say you have to consort with the devil (that fits with their definition of it, and are they really wrong?), or that you have to believe in some spiritual thing, or that witchcraft can be totally secular. These are all valid definitions, you just need to research them all and decide which fits YOU. Its a lot of work, and it always will be if you really want to develop your understanding.

I really get the sense that you have yet to define what exactly YOUR beliefs are, so I don't see how any of these resonate with your beliefs. They may the foundation that you build your beliefs on, but until you connect with it in a personal way, they aren't really yours.

I think u need to chill and not jump to conclusions about what peoples motives are here. I can't help the plethora of mixed definitions and explanations for the things such as divination, smudging, etc. There is a lot of information out there and btw smudging I read about on wikipedia I believe.
    First, if you are using Wikipedia as a reliable research source, I think you should seriously consider what I said in the second sentence in the above section. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and present whatever it wants. Same with dictionaries and encyclopedias, to an extent. Read real books by anthropologists, archeologists, sociologists; people who's entire study is dedicated to people and culture. Their definitions (which you may have to think about a little to really get a concise one) are going to be more meaningful and relative to you than the Miriam Webster dictionary. You can always help but produce a mixed, unintelligible hodge-podge if you think about it. If you presented this as "I read these things, are they accurate?" or "I'm trying to base my beliefs of these things I read, any insight?", you would have made way more sense and sounded a lot more legit.

Where are your sources? I've also read dictionaries for other terms and encyclopedias for others. Since you seem to know so much about everything perhaps you could offer your sources of knowledge and help me to better understand.
    I have to say, that most people's sources are personal practice, based on things they read. I can list Silver Ravenwolf as one of my sources, because reading her works really made me think about what I believe and how I really think she's an idiot and why. Just because I don't agree with her on just about anything, doesn't mean I didn't learn something from her. I'd say find a couple books (New Age/Pagan) that you think will be on the same track as where you want to go, three or more scholarly books on something that interests you within these practices, and at least one book that presents beliefs you feel will be completely the opposite of what you want to base your beliefs on. The first might help you establish a foundation or the beginnings of one, the second will give you some scholarly (somewhat unbiased) insight into these practices and their context, and the last will make you think about what you believe and why.
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.