Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am I a Neo-Pagan?

is offline Friendly Neighborhood Penguin Commander
    Turthfully I am not sure where it would fall though New Religious Movement seem's more appropriate as it is being based off of non-traditional and Non-historical influences.
    I am beginning to see some similarities as well.

I can understand that. My experience is we fit where it fills right to us, its just those about us that make it so much harder. Though I admit at times I am not sure if that is driven by protection of ones own paradyn or fear of having it exposed to the limitations it contains.
    I am not sure as well. It is useful to consider.

BUt what your missing is that it is all still fantasy world creations. Each subsaquent change done to promote the world and make it more fulfilling to the game player. Yet the actual ethics and morality of the game seldom if ever changes from the initial model created. that I think is what many have issue with.
    But the game restrictions offer no incentive to follow those nor do they penilize any who do not. You do not get better for being good within the perceived notion of good in the game nor are you penilized if you follow the dark sense of the spectrum. It appears more so as a useless trapping in the background that serves no purpose to the conditon or play of the game so is more often than not ignored.
    True. However, I am worshipping these Gods in a real world context rather than a fictional context. I have plucked them out of the game world and have inserted them into reality. I draw little religious meaning from the game beyond the pantheon it contains and the basis that it has provided. For example, I don't turn on the Xbox and go to a shrine within the game when I want to pray. I do not play the game when I have encountered a problem. I have simply taken a pantheon and applied it to the real world. The Gods do not create ethics in my view. They may represent ethics and bless those who use them. They may guide one through times of difficulty. They represent a spirit which I believe is the Original Spirit from which everything originates. The game itself has little to do with the belief system at this point. They originate as fantasy creations, but I have effectively taken them and applied them to a real belief system as symbols for the Original Spirit.

In truth I actually think much of it boils back to the 1980's and early 90's when the pagan movement was fighting for the right to be accepted as a valid thing. Many times it was seen as a teen fantasy game or stage because of the story book & fantasy situations that were being claimed as valid religious and spiritual practices and influences that offered real ethical and morale understanding.
    I think many valid religions are first met with massive amounts of criticism from those who see new ideas as a potential threat to the status quo. Maybe, at least.
    I recall some of the infighting that occured when the Jedi practice started to hit the streets. Though in todays situations I think the influex of such things as the Vampiric games and Werewolf games muddied the waters and just make the notions of created worlds even harder to accept.
    Perspective is incredibly important. I have not met a Jedi who thought that the Star Wars movie had much to do with their Jedi faith. Rather, they borrowed philosophical and theological ideas and undertones from the movie and book series to apply it to their own views of the universe. I am doing a similar thing in a similar spirit. In this sense I might be more under a NRM.

It's like the works of H. P. Lovecraft and his gods / goddess and creatures. It's been around long enough and somewhat accepted so that while some may claim the gods do not exists far more are at least willing to conceed that the agregorets and construct energy may have taken on a life of thier own. His Dagon is not the ancient one but in some ways the possibiiity has occured that both could exist.
    At least there are those to argue Lovecraft's Dagon could exist.
    "This too shall pass"

Boethiah wrote: .. True. However, I am worshipping these Gods in a real world context rather than a fictional context. I have plucked them out of the game world and have inserted them into reality. I draw little religious meaning from the game beyond the pantheon it contains and the basis that it has provided. For example, I don't turn on the Xbox and go to a shrine within the game when I want to pray. I do not play the game when I have encountered a problem. I have simply taken a pantheon and applied it to the real world. The Gods do not create ethics in my view. They may represent ethics and bless those who use them. They may guide one through times of difficulty. They represent a spirit which I believe is the Original Spirit from which everything originates. The game itself has little to do with the belief system at this point. They originate as fantasy creations, but I have effectively taken them and applied them to a real belief system as symbols for the Original Spirit.
    I think part of the issue here is what we saw in the 1980's and early 90's. When we drew our beliefs and such from antiquity we could still point to things that indicated what the morality, ethics, civility, etc of our beliefs were drawn from. There were tales, edda's, saga's, national creation stories, etc that painted the whole scenario for us. The good, the bad and the repercussions for all of it.

But more importantly was that our positions were not being based upon the creative works of some person but stories and things that were inspired by a divinity figure along with reward for good things and punishment for badthings and a established sense of social responsibility as given by those devine beings. Yes the stories were pened by mankind but the greater whole inspired by devinity.

The fantasy stories, movies and such were all seen as being the handiwork of humanity not any sort of devinity. The very core basis of ethics, morality, etc all drawn upon the author's beliefs and creations.

I suppose my generation and the struggles we faced in those times is the reason the fantasy based practices are so hard or difficult to accept. Perhaps saddly to acutually find benefits from its usage or basement of practice upon it.

I think many valid religions are first met with massive amounts of criticism from those who see new ideas as a potential threat to the status quo. Maybe, at least.
    I do not disagree at all.

At least there are those to argue Lovecraft's Dagon could exist.
    I admit I still struggle with the idea but I am more willing to accept a construct or egogret than an actual god figure though perhaps in the future who knows.

is offline Friendly Neighborhood Penguin Commander
    I think part of the issue here is what we saw in the 1980's and early 90's. When we drew our beliefs and such from antiquity we could still point to things that indicated what the morality, ethics, civility, etc of our beliefs were drawn from. There were tales, edda's, saga's, national creation stories, etc that painted the whole scenario for us. The good, the bad and the repercussions for all of it.

But more importantly was that our positions were not being based upon the creative works of some person but stories and things that were inspired by a divinity figure along with reward for good things and punishment for badthings and a established sense of social responsibility as given by those devine beings. Yes the stories were pened by mankind but the greater whole inspired by devinity.

The fantasy stories, movies and such were all seen as being the handiwork of humanity not any sort of devinity. The very core basis of ethics, morality, etc all drawn upon the author's beliefs and creations.

I suppose my generation and the struggles we faced in those times is the reason the fantasy based practices are so hard or difficult to accept. Perhaps saddly to acutually find benefits from its usage or basement of practice upon it.
    This is a valid point, and it is the key difference between traditional Neo-Pagan practices and what I have proposed. Divinity can come from a number of sources. I think I have found it in the et'Ada, although time will tell where the evolution of my beliefs take me. Everyone can only do what is good for them when it comes to religious practices. Anything else would be dishonest.

I admit I still struggle with the idea but I am more willing to accept a construct or egogret than an actual god figure though perhaps in the future who knows.
    Indeed. What a God can exist as and in what form is perhaps one of the most difficult questions when non-traditional forms of religion and spirituality are considered.
    "This too shall pass"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2