Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you practice green witchcraft?

How do you practice green witchcraft?

where do i begin?

why dont you do a google search for fundamentals of green witchcraft and explore different web pages there is a lot of information out there you just have to look. Not that I want to discourage you from asking questions because thats not my intention at all my point though is to tell you to put in a little effort for yourself and do some research instead of just asking everyone else to hand you everything on a silver platter. Most of us arent mind readers and your questions I have noticed tend to be very vague themself so in turn you get a vague answer. If you go and check into the basics first and then come back with a "specific" question on a subject we would all probably be better suited to answer your question or atleast give our opinions on a subject. Please dont take this as me being harsh because that is not my intention at all.

I have looked I just don't get it. There seems to be tons of answers for what it is and none for how you actually practice it. :/
    Like for example, what do they believe as far as God goes?
    afterlife?
    spirits/ghosts?
    how do you perform magic?
    do you have to have tools or cast circles?

from what i've understood they use rocks, sticks, stuff in nature.

this is the best i can do for you on this

The best way that I can describe this to you from my understanding of it is that Green Witchcraft is just a manner in which they perform their pagan rites and live their life as opposed to a specific tradition where your working tools MUST BE exactly "x" inches long and be made soley out of *insert metal here* and scribed with these exact sigils.

Its a way of thinking and doing things being mindful of nature and using nature in its rawest forms to do their works. i.e. instead of buying an essential oil they would make their own to ensure its purity which in turn ensures its potency or possibly even go so far as to crush the leaf or root or what have you so it secretes its essence and use it directly from that to annoint whatever they need to.

They tend to be masters of herbology as this is of the earth.

As far as their tools for ritual It is my belief and Im sure many others here that the only tool NECESSARY is yourself. All the others are just extras a way to make your life easier when doing your magickal work. Like a wand is nothing more than a means to focus and direct your energy but you know what your finger does the same thing

For Green Witchcraft I would imagine that they use tools just like most of us and not because they have to but because they choose to. The difference being from what you might find with other traditions is that they will just use a stick albeit from a sacred wood im sure but a stick in its rawest form unlike say Gardnerian tradition or Alexandrian where they are a very specific on length, color, etc.

Yes of course they believe in ghosts and an afterlife they are pagans. Do they have a specific concept for what it is? That I'm sure is left solely to the individual as opposed to a set image that the streets are lined in gold with golden pearly gates etc.

Again with the magick thing. I know that you had a post in regards to magick that I have already answered as well as others. The fact that they are Green Witches does not mean they use a different type of magick other then what you have already been explained. The concept of it is and always will be the same. The only difference would be the tools they choose to use. like candles for example. I'm sure no self respecting Green Witch would be caught dead using a candle bought from walmart. In turn they would prefer to make their own candles by hand dipping or rolling from bees wax.

Are you starting to see the pattern?

Im sure they believe in some form of divinity and i would definately bet they would say they believe in the duality in nature meaning both and male and female energies as being part of god. I'm sure as to what names they call their gods that is a personal thing for them and not a trandition standard.

Chances are also that they do cast circles but are they necessary NO are they highly recommended YES and that goes for anyone right down to a ceremonial magician and a kitchen witch.

Basically my take on it is that it is a tradition that is based on being in complete harmony with nature and harnessing nature in its purest forms to aid in their work. To me this would seem to be more of a way of living and practicing rather than a tradition in the sense that most people think of tradition.

It also seems evident to me that it is still possible to use Green Witchery or Witchcraft and not be a member of a speciific tradition. What I mean by this is that Certainly anyone who is knowledgeable in the use of natural elements in their rawest forms could use these things to work magickal spells and not actually be using Green Witchcraft as a religion but more so as a method in which they work magickal spells

I hope this helped and I hope that others will give you information to as I am not a Green Witch per se although i do care about the environment and do what i can to protect it. Furthermore should I be misinformed or my opinions or conclusion I've made be inaccurate please correct me I would very much like to know the specifics behind this "tradition". I am of the Faery Faith. I imagine that these two traditions probably run a very close line with one another in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc1981 View Post
    I have looked I just don't get it. There seems to be tons of answers for what it is and none for how you actually practice it. :/
    Like for example, what do they believe as far as God goes?
    afterlife?
    spirits/ghosts?
    how do you perform magic?
    do you have to have tools or cast circles?

from what i've understood they use rocks, sticks, stuff in nature.
    That is the biggest cop-out answer in the world. Sorry you don't get it, but it's not anybody's job to spoon feed you because you don't/can't/choose not to exercise your brain. Asking if green witches have a God-form IS a specific question, and if that's something that bothers you, you should have asked it. Instead of "What's green witchcraft", think "How are ABC viewed within green witchcraft?". Goodness, think a little.

That's about the only thing I can say that really has a definite answer, yes. Only because by doing something, you have to utilize at least one thing as a tool. I know RoseKitten replied to another of your posts with something along the lines of "What is the mind but a tool?", and I'd have to agree. I'd also say anytime you move and incorporate anything physical into your spellcasting, you make/use tools. Many green witches use natural objects, but I don't necessarily think they are mandatory for green witchcraft, just a common feature.
    Last edited by Ailyn; April 13th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Beer is proof the Gods love us and want us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyn View Post
    That is the biggest cop-out answer in the world. Sorry you don't get it, but it's not anybody's job to spoon feed you because you don't/can't/choose not to exercise your brain. Asking if green witches have a God-form IS a specific question, and if that's something that bothers you, you should have asked it. Instead of "What's green witchcraft", think "How are ABC viewed within green witchcraft?". Goodness, think a little.

That's about the only thing I can say that really has a definite answer, yes. Only because by doing something, you have to utilize at least one thing as a tool. I know RoseKitten replied to another of your posts with something along the lines of "What is the mind but a tool?", and I'd have to agree. I'd also say anytime you move and incorporate anything physical into your spellcasting, you make/use tools. Many green witches use natural objects, but I don't necessarily think they are mandatory for green witchcraft, just a common feature.
    hey **** you who are you to judge me?

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc1981 View Post
    hey **** you who are you to judge me?
    admin

Admin Mode

Infraction issued for disrespect to other MW users.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by Ailyn View Post

Beautifully put.

Asking questions when they arise is great. Usually, the people asking them have even put thought into them! They normally state why they are asking, what they've reviewed, what conflicting information, etc.

However, when one posts "?" as the entirety of their post, or less than one full sentence, I have to wonder when we became a search function. We're not. One of the things I love about this forum is the usually deep, or at least meaningful, conversations. I am *not* google, and if one really wants to learn from what all the site, and the people within it, have to teach, they have to *think* *research* and actually provide some sort of intellectual (unless you're in the JS forum... ) comment for us to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post

However, when one posts "?" as the entirety of their post, or less than one full sentence, I have to wonder when we became a search function. We're not.
    Quoted for truth.
    L'universe est le corps et l'esprit de mon dieu. Tout le monde sont ma famille; m'sit no komaq.

Grateful to the Gods who have patiently carried me along.

Quote Originally Posted by Herumetem View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    That being said, I do understand why one would want to come to an established forum to ask questions. The internet is wrong (a lot) and often various websites conflict with each other, so it can get confusing.

So, to come to a forum and ask "Hey, I was looking up X and found 1, 2, 5, banana that all say different things" we can try to help sort out the confusion. Also, especially with MW and other forums with intelligent people we can debate, usually without fighting. If X poster says 1, and Y poster says 2, they can debate about the how's and why's, provide resources, links, and other forms of verification.

So, while google is a great start, and should be a persons first look for common questions, this is also a great resource to have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast