Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rawhead and Bloody Bones

Rawhead and Bloody Bones

Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Whenever I read about a creature I've never heard of, I like to look it up on Deviantart. I found a really nice one of this creature here: http://fav.me/d14vnes

He's an extremely and unnecessarily creepy boogeyman, the kids that got told THAT tale must have been really bad D: I was just told of a tall man in a dark coat. Thought he lived in my grandma's closet for six years lolol

@picture-that's cool.

but why would he go after kids though? wouldn't his vengance be towards hunters and possibly pig farmers? that would make more sense since that was what he got killed by.

and why did you think he lived in your grandma's closet?
    Last edited by aluokaloo; April 21st, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

http://americanfolklore.net/folklore...ody_bones.html

here's the Ozark version of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    @picture-that's cool.

but why would he go after kids though? wouldn't his vengance be towards hunters and possibly pig farmers? that would make more sense since that was what he got killed by.

and why did you think he lived in your grandma's closet?

No idea, sometimes stories that adults make up to scare behavior into kids has a few plotholes. XD I DO like the idea of an undead creature going after hunters (the cruel kind, not the real type of hunter)

Her closet was literally in a dark corner of the room and she told us she'd go in there and "tell the boogeyman" whenever one of us kids misbehaved XD

This is your old country bogeyman. He lives in the dark corners, cupboards, closets or under your bed.

"Be good or Bloody Bones will come for you".

"Eat your vegetables or Bloody Bones will get you".

"You come straight home or Bloody Bones will find you".

And my personal favorite "Remember Bloody bones is watching you, so you better behave yourself".

I was absolutely terrified of it/him/her as a child.

@StarlitNox-wow no offense but that's kinda funny! out of curiosity did it work? and that would be cool to send him after poachers and stuff.

@Khara-that's interesting Khara where did you learn about that one as a child?
    Last edited by aluokaloo; April 22nd, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

@Khara-that's interesting Khara where did you learn about that one as a child?
    My grandparents, aunts, uncles, mother all used to threaten us kids with him.

He was "always watching" for bad little boys and girls....

Two of my older cousins got a pig mask one year and made a scarecrow figure out of it. Scared one of my other cousins so bad she was damn near incoherent. I remember my one cousin saying later he would have preferred Bloody Bones to have drug him off and stripped him to bones as opposed to the switching and chores he got for the prank.
    Last edited by )O( ~ Khara~ )O(; April 22nd, 2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I messed up my quotes somehow...

@StarlitNox-wow no offense but that's kinda funny! out of curiosity did it work? and that would be cool to send him after poachers and stuff.
    lolol Not really, my cousins were still bad and I just wasn't a troublemaker as a kid. Have never been punished by my parents for anything aside from the time they found my pagan-y things. DX Closed-minded $%^%&*.....

That's an impressively macabre story. I am entertained. I'm with the witch, I'd be pissed if someone hunted and butchered one of my pets.

My family's primary behavioural modifier was actually gratitude. Being in trouble and being told what my grandparents did to my dad and his siblings when they acted the way I did made me want to be good just because I was glad my parents weren't that mean.

I've never actually seen a switch, because my parents were so traumatized by corporal punishment that they can't administer it themselves. My grandmother still has her famous paddle displayed like a trophy on the wall.

I prefer creative discipline. "Go to your room while we discuss your punishment" is pretty good all by itself, creates anticipation. Follow that with something they're going to remember as associated with a specific event (whereas all spankings are created equal) and you're good.

We don't actually have any little ones yet, but my idea of a good punishment is that should I ever catch one of my children littering, I will find some organization that's going to clean a highway all weekend (Boyscouts do it a lot) and tell them my son's punishment for littering is that I'm volunteering him to help, and they're to work him as hard as they want.

As for the metaphysical relevance of the story, I wouldn't know if there's any truth to the tale or not, but similarly scary things definitely exist. I've lost sleep a few times from things I've seen.

May you find what you seek,
    Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Everything is relative; truth, reality, ethics... Cousins.

Blog

Proprietor: The Dragon and Sphinx and Art of Creation

Priestess of Hecate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast