Thread: Local pain reliever?

Local pain reliever?

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with this one - I'm in need of a local pain reliever, I stretched my septum to 5mm, and tonight it began hurting something fierce so I don't get much sleep. Tips would be more then great right about now

I'm not sure if that is a muscle pain you are talking about but if it is a muscle pain then I suggest the following products

Formula 303 natural muscle relaxers

and ProVantage and Innergize by Reliv (this will repair the muscles) well it's not politically correct to say it will repair them but you know what I mean

hope this helps?

Lavender might work, since it's an antiseptic, as well as being calming and a sleep aid. You're talking about a piercing, right? If you're looking to apply something directly, aloe vera works wonders for me for burns or cuts, so I could imagine it might work for a piercing. Please take my advice with a grain of salt, though, as I'm neither a doctor or herbalist, nor do I play one on TV. I'm just talking from my experience.

Hope you feel better and can get some sleep.

The standby local anesthetic among herbs is Wintergreen. A Wintergreen extract or oil is excellent for soothing muscle pain and relaxing muscles. Peppermint oil also works well, but I've never tried it myself.

The strongest herbal local anesthetic I know is Aconite (Aconitum napellus), but please don't try that, it's quite dangerous. I only mention it for academic purposes.

May you find what you seek,
    Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Everything is relative; truth, reality, ethics... Cousins.

Blog

Proprietor: The Dragon and Sphinx and Art of Creation

Priestess of Hecate

While not a herbalist myself a friend who is suggested the following:

I would always ask more questions to ascertain what type of pain the person has - I use a range of formulas depending on if it is dull and constant, sharp and acute, muscular or nerve-related, an old wound/inflammation, and so on.

Wintergreen is dead wrong for some of those, must be well diluted, is a salicylate extract that can cause reactions -

ALWAYS check if the person has had a salicylate (aspirin) reaction in past - I mean, check this out:

http://www.cherylsherbs.com/Essentia...intergreen.htm
    1-2 drops per OUNCE of carrier - Wintergreen can make people really, really sick.

I would use a salve made with olive oil, beeswax and white poplar - another in the Salix family, thus contains salicalytes like birch, willow etc but much safer. I use the spring buds for resin and then cook into a salve. I add arnica or Goldenrod or Chapparal or Pine,often Cayenne, one of the best (and most wellknown) for arthritis - according to many factors.

Edited to correct broken link
    Last edited by monsnoleedra; May 4th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Thank you for the additional information MonSno.

It's important to know your allergies before using any herbal remedy, or any other form of medication, and any essential oil is meant to be diluted in a carrier oil before direct use. That's herbalism 101.

Your link is broken by the way. What is it?

Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Blog

Priestess of Hecate

Darn I hate it when a link truncates..here's the working one

http://www.cherylsherbs.com/Essentia...intergreen.htm

Thanks.

Most oils should be used with great care internally, if at all. A lot of them can be toxic, simply because the process of distilling the oils concentrates the constituents of the plant to a massive dose. Always, always, dilute before use.

I have a friend who makes essential oils, and depending on the plant, the method, and the skill of the person producing the oils, taking a few milliliters of the oil internally may be the equivalent of eating upwards of a pound of dried herb. Needless to say, this is a severe overdose in most cases.

The standard wisdom is that pregnant women should not even handle any essential oil, much less use them directly. Shampoos, soaps, lotions and so on with oils in them are usually alright, but the dose absorbed in such preparations is comparatively infinitesimal. Check warning labels, or research contraindications if you've already made them yourself. If you choose to work with essential oils, take a break from it while pregnant because just the exposure of getting a few drops of the oil on your hands can alter your body chemistry sufficiently to risk the health of a fetus.

I actually didn't know Birch and Wintergreen were comparable, I've had very little experience with the former. It's hard to find already prepared, but I do have a Birch tree in my yard. I'll have to read up and see what I can do with it.

Landra
    Last edited by Landra; May 4th, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Forgot a thought...

Blog

Priestess of Hecate

For piercing pain, I just take Tylenol

I know this thread is old, and I am sure the original poster is no longer in pain, but I have used clove oil for pain. Mix a few drops in with safflower oil, dip a cotton ball in it and apply to the area. I have only done this for tooth aches but I assume it would work other places (I often use undiluted clove oil as a perfume on my bare skin and it has never caused a reaction other than smelling like pumpkin pie).
    Cosmic
    Tree Forest