Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help YOUR Mysticwicks Community

Thumbs up Help YOUR Mysticwicks Community

This is going out to the community via email right now.

Howdy, folks!

It has been a long time since I’ve written a letter to you and I sincerely hope that it meets you well. It seems that every time I write a letter, I am always asking for money. Well, this time is no different, but before you press the delete button I ask that you read on a bit further.

The community has changed a lot in its 10 years of existence. However, the one thing that has never changed is the strength and support from the members (that is you, by the way). The community has changed faces many times. There are new members, new admins, new trolls, and new newbies. Throughout it all, one thing that has remained constant is the support from the community members to ensure that this place always has what it needs. These needs range from licensing fees to server costs to bandwidth penalties that we always seem to have!

Well, I am going to ask for your help again in subscriptions and donations, because I feel it is time to make some significant upgrades to our little home on the internet. So, let me lay out the plans for you.

1. We currently have multiple sites for different purposes. We have MW, MW Dark, Mwad, etc. I want to consolidate them into one site. That way there is no need for different usernames and remembering different passwords. Now, before you start going crazy, this just means you can get to everything from one forum site. MW Dark will still be private to the 18+ crowd and Mwad will still be a paid, adult-only thing. Everything will be controlled in the background using the great grouping and security features of Vbulletin. No data will be lost, either. I will be importing all of the MW Dark and Mwad data into the MW database. It will be quite a chore, but it can be done and I will do it.

2. Vbulletin has made some significant changes to the forum software that will make Mysticwicks a much better place for social activity. We will be able to have more relevant content and many more ways of connecting with each other and exchanging information.

3. I want to see a Mysticwicks blog. We made a really good run at having an online magazine thanks to all of you, but in the end it just because too much of a burden on the contributors. Well, GEBS and I have discussed on many occasions that we should just have a living blog instead of a static magazine. That means we can have Mysticwicks staff writers than can write new articles and post them as they finish them instead of waiting for releases, editing, or artwork. We can also use this as a platform for cherry-picking some of the great and thought-provoking posts that is a mainstay of this community.

All bullet-points aside, what it all comes down to is the fact that we are and always have been a community. We have dipped our hands in many different areas such as magazines, schools, stores, etc…but they really never panned out. It wasn’t because of failure. It was because that is just not what Mysticwicks is about. So, instead of adding more, this time we are going to consolidate and focus on making this forum better. That is really the only thing that has been around for 10 years. I expect it will be around for 10 more and I will probably still be writing these letters and making sure the servers are running.

Now I will explain the money-grubbing part of this letter. I have never asked the community for money without a clear explanation of why it is needed. So, here it is. We need to buy more server space so that I can have a staging area for integrating all of the sites, upgrading the server operating system, as well as all of the underlying software used in the background. We also need to buy a license for the latest Vbulletin software. That is the most integral part of all of this. That is really about it! It sounds simple, but it’s not cheap.

With all that said, please help if you can. You can donate directly via paypal using version2@gmail.com as the money recipient or you can click this paypal donation link. That link will take you directly to paypal in order to make a donation. That is and always has been the Mysticwicks account. All money donated goes right back into the community. With paypal, you can donate using credit cards or directly via your bank account. You can also purchase one of our subscriptions by going here: http://mysticwicks.com/payments.php. Also, if you don't have any way of donating other than with a old-fashioned paper check or cold, hard cash, then all is not lost. Just Send me an email (version2@gmail.com) or send a PM to GEBS on Mysticwicks and we will provide you with a snail-mail address.

Subscription are a great way of donating, because they are recurring…much like our server bills! Anything you can do helps. Trust me. A subscription for $5 a month is appreciated just as much as $20 a month. The only difference is that one person could give more than another. Donations are the same. It doesn’t matter if you donate $1 or $100. Every dollar we get gets us closer to the amount we need to get these things done and keep Mysticwicks running.

So, there it is. That’s my letter. I know you don’t see me around a lot, but I am always there. GEBS talks to me about the community all the time and I am always working on the server in the background. Just think of me as the troll under the bridge. OK, not a troll….I wouldn’t want to get banned.

Thanks and love,
    mol
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

It's ok to reply to this post! Don't be afraid. I won't bite.
    mol

Things are pretty slim here, but I'll try to send in a couple bucks when I can.

is offline having an 'out of money' experience.
    You sure you don't bite? I don't know if I trust you :P I'll see what I can come up with
    Well Shit. I didn't do it!

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    I will be sending in at least one donation tomorrow and depending on the length of this fundraising drive, perhaps a larger one in a few weeks...plus I think it may be time for FRG and myself to return to MWAD
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.
    I wish I could donate. But I have a feis coming up, so I'm broke.

Cool

I will donate 4.20 dollars!

Taciturn and prudent, and in war daring, should a king's children be;
    joyous and liberal every one should be until his hour of death.

The Words of Odin the High One - translated by Benjamin Thorpe

Quote Originally Posted by angle kitsune View Post
    You sure you don't bite? I don't know if I trust you :P I'll see what I can come up with
    My bunny might!
    mol

Quote Originally Posted by Woden's Spear View Post
    I will donate 4.20 dollars!
    Awesome.
    mol

Sent you a note. I'm like Mem...depending on how things go, in a few weeks, I may be able to send another.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast