Thread: Hagalaz

Hagalaz

From the time I have started using runes, Hagalaz has been the one I connect the most with. I searched MW for info on hagalaz and liked what I found. Only, it wasn't anything new to me.

I'm really curious what gods/goddesses are tied to this rune beyond Hel and Urd, if any others.

I've taken my connection to the rune as a possible sign that it could be the god/goddess associated with it trying to get my attention. So far, I really like Hel. It is kind of unsettling though--well, according to my SO, it unsettles him that she seems to have taken a liking to me, as I to her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.amway.com/All-Dolled-Up

~ Keep your face toward the sun and shadows will fall behind ~

I wish I could tell you more than you already know given your experience, a handful of meta books and a half-hour Google search. H can get away from you, and there is no inverse. Even the converse is chaotic in nature. (But you already know that.)

Based upon your avatar, it seems you prefer the Elder to the Anglo-Saxon (two bars). Any particular reason why? I've always known this rune as Haegl and prefer the AS variation, but to each their own. (:

Hagalaz rune is associated with hail.

From my book of rune cards by Tony Linsell and Brian Partridge, it goes:
    Hail is the whitest of grains.
    It descends from heaven's air
    and swirls in the wind.
    Soon it returns to water.

This is based on the Anglo-Saxon rune Haegl.

On the Futhark rune Hagalaz, you might be drawn to it for deep reasons only you'll uncover. The rune symbolises the forces of nature. It is neither positive or negative. It can be both.

One of the Norns, goddess Urd. The god of light, Heimdall. Both are said to be linked with Hagalaz rune.

You may be interested in this -

Hagalaz can be used as a force of repulsion or banishment. It is used in work to process and dispel the effects of subconscious baggage and ‘shadow elements’ so that your life pattern can carry itself forward in its pure form. Hagalaz has the magical energy of a ‘spring cleaning’. It reveals the personal past, past lives and early environmental factors in childhood development.
    Taken from rune secrets
    Last edited by ~Runa~; May 16th, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Somewhere one side or the other of sanity.
    This is a rune of meditation and the council of silence, and aids consideration, decision, and meditation. It is also useful for overcoming aspects of our lower nature, including prankishness or bad habits.It is therefore very useful in overcoming impediments or obstacles to success. This is the rune of self-undoing and overcoming the tendency to undo one's own efforts. Cooper, Esoteric Rune Magic.

The meaning of Hagall in magick is very different from its meanings in divination. In magick, it is a rune of evolution, but it is evolution of the slow but sure type within a fixed framework. Its fixed nature promotes security and keeps negative energies from entering your space. Protection. Use where luck is needed. To encourage a positive result within a fixed framework. Peschel, A Practical Guide to the Runes.

Completeness and balance of power. Mystical and numinous experience and knowledge. Evolutionary, becoming operations. Protection. Thorsson, Futhark.

To attract positive influences. Howard, Understanding Runes.
    "Cattle die, kinsmen die, one day you yourself must die.

I know one thing that never dies:
    the dead man's reputation."

Havamal- Sayings of the High One

I've always considered this rune to be a general rune of (particularly cold) storms and destruction. As such, it seems to me that Skadi would be a fitting deity, as would the Wild Hunt side of Odin, who personifies winter storms. (Speaking of which, does that remind you of anyone? old bearded man in a cloak on a magical flying beast at Yuletide?)