Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - HBO Series

If you are going to buy it you might want to do it fast just in case Amazon raises the price back up to the normal level. I'm still reading at the pace the TV show it airing it but that's more of a coincidence because I haven't had as much time lately.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

I preferred the books to the show, personally.

I'm watching it and everyone looks different than I had imagined them! It's like when I saw the Harry Potter movies all over again. My mental images of the characters have been irreparably broken. It doesn't help that Ned Stark is now Boromir from Lord Of The Rings.

Every time I see Sean Bean, I keep saying, "BOROMIR! WHY ARE YOU IN WESTEROS! ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO WESTEROS."

Taciturn and prudent, and in war daring, should a king's children be;
    joyous and liberal every one should be until his hour of death.

The Words of Odin the High One - translated by Benjamin Thorpe

I guess it's good that I watched the first two episodes before I started reading then. No mental images to ruin so I can just picture the TV characters, although the kids in the show all look older than their book ages except maybe Bran.
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Quote Originally Posted by WokeUpDead View Post
    I guess it's good that I watched the first two episodes before I started reading then. No mental images to ruin so I can just picture the TV characters, although the kids in the show all look older than their book ages except maybe Bran.
    Some people look like I imagined them, so it's not all bad.

I didn't think Ned would be that robust. I was imagining a 'lean wolf' look. Also, Boromir. I can't unsee him as Boromir.
    Nor did I think King Robert would be that ****ing HUGE.

Gregor is a lot smaller than I thought he would be. His brother Sandor has too whole a face. The Hound is supposed to be horrifying to behold. Catelyn looks like an old grandmother! I didn't think she'd look that old.

Jon Snow is a lot older and bigger than I thought he would be. So were Grenn and Pypar. Ser Alliser looks EXACTLY like my mental picture, though, as do Cersei and Jaime. Old Nan was SPOT ON, as were Khal Drogo, Viserys, and Dany. I have some minor quibbles about their appearances, but I understand that it couldn't be exact.

Tyrion is much more handsome than I pictured him.
    Last edited by Woden's Spear; May 14th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.

So far in the first one they've talked about how fat Robert is several times. He's spent the last 15 years doing nothing except eating, drinking, and screwing whores. I agree about the Hound but finding ways to make his brother nearly 8 feet tall might be a little difficult to do on a TV budget so that was probably just out of convenience. Same with Tyrion's look, not that I mind that. multi colored eyes and an ugly face would be distracting and probably take away from his charm.
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

So far in the first one they've talked about how fat Robert is several times. He's spent the last 15 years doing nothing except eating, drinking, and screwing whores. I agree about the Hound but finding ways to make his brother nearly 8 feet tall might be a little difficult to do on a TV budget so that was probably just out of convenience. Same with Tyrion's look, not that I mind that. multi colored eyes and an ugly face would be distracting and probably take away from his charm.
    I'm a fan of the japanese animes, and heterochromia, difference in iris coloration, is huge in Japan. So I was annoyed when my favorite Western example of heterochromia was thrown out the window. It would not have gone over well with the average Western audience, though, so I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sky- View Post
    John Snow and Daenerys are two of my favourite characters and from what i've read they are pretty important in the book series too. And of course Ned Stark, Sean Bean is an amazing actor.
    Ned was definately one of my favorites in the book, as is Arya and Bran (you'll find out why later ... for both of them). I actually came to very much like Tyrion and the series makes me like him more (they have portrayed him PERFECTLY in my mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Woden's Spear View Post
    Every time I see Sean Bean, I keep saying, "BOROMIR! WHY ARE YOU IN WESTEROS! ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO WESTEROS."
    LMAO ... I totally know how you feel!! Although I'm getting use to him as Ned Stark. It doesn't help that his outfit and hair are about the same as when he played in LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Woden's Spear View Post
    Some people look like I imagined them, so it's not all bad.

I didn't think Ned would be that robust. I was imagining a 'lean wolf' look. Also, Boromir. I can't unsee him as Boromir.
    Nor did I think King Robert would be that ****ing HUGE.

Gregor is a lot smaller than I thought he would be. His brother Sandor has too whole a face. The Hound is supposed to be horrifying to behold. Catelyn looks like an old grandmother! I didn't think she'd look that old.

Jon Snow is a lot older and bigger than I thought he would be. So were Grenn and Pypar. Ser Alliser looks EXACTLY like my mental picture, though, as do Cersei and Jaime. Old Nan was SPOT ON, as were Khal Drogo, Viserys, and Dany. I have some minor quibbles about their appearances, but I understand that it couldn't be exact.

Tyrion is much more handsome than I pictured him.
    Tyrion is just as I imagined him ... even more perfect compared to my imagination (if that's even possible). I had the same problem with Khal Drogo as I did with Ned Start ... I kept waiting for the stargate to open behind him! Dany is MUCH prettier and has a more mature look than I imagined in the book. Arya is kinda homley compared to what I imagined ... I saw her as rugged child yes, but much prettier. However, I have to admit they have captured that "highlander" look I think George R. R. Martin was going for in the Starks. On the flip side Bran is much more handsome than I imagined, and Hodor is NOTHING like I imagined!

I agree that Catelyn liks like an old grandmother, because I was thinking the same thing .... she just seems too old. And I'm not sure how they're going to make her look ... well ... make her look like she did after the red wedding.

*** looks around at all the people who have never read the books ***

I feel a pang of guilt and pity for you all, but I just can't bring myself to post any spoilers ... Keep watching, you're going to LOVE IT!!!

Just finished the first book. I guess we'll get to have some nice battles towards the end of the season. Too bad they didn't have Jon in the last episode. The Night's Watch is the most interesting part to me so far.
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Just finished the first book. I guess we'll get to have some nice battles towards the end of the season. Too bad they didn't have Jon in the last episode. The Night's Watch is the most interesting part to me so far.
    I agree that the night's watch is pretty awesome, but the second book things get more interesting elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Warrior View Post
    ....Hodor is NOTHING like I imagined!
    Oooooooh, man.

Ha ha, oh wow.

I imagined Hodor VERY differently. He surprised me so much on TV that I was speechless, and I totally forgot to mention him. That's how much I was traumatized. There were no words.
    Hodor was a tall, stupid-looking middleaged man with a retarded aspect, in my brain. On TV's it's Down's Syndrome Santa Claus. I was like, "WHO'S THIS DOUCHEBAG?!!!!" and then he said "HODOR", and my mind shattered into a million pieces.

He was also considerably smaller than I imagined.
    Last edited by Woden's Spear; May 17th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast