Thread: Cleaning the incense ashes between spells/rituals/readings?

Cleaning the incense ashes between spells/rituals/readings?

So, today I did a card reading for myself and noticed that I can't concentrate with incense ashes from a previous reading still on my altar incense burner. I'm not sure if it's because the ashes themselves have some leftover energy, or because I'm easily distracted (more likely), but I was wondering...
    Are you guys, in your paths, particular about that for any reason? If so, why~?
    From now on, I'm going to stick with cleaning it each time... no matter how cool it looks :P
    Perhaps I should collect them for ash-scrying.

I usually put my ashes in my cauldron where I burn my sage, and don't think too much about it. Then when I need to take care of my cauldron I put the ash on my plants outside. My thoughts are, once its burnt, the intent is where it was meant to go and you are just left with ashes. I'd not think there would be any lingering energy.
    daphnerose

I feel as if when the incense burns it's packing the intent/prayer/meditation thought.... what ever you a bruning it for to the Gods/Goddesses..... and what's left over is nothing but the ash... I do like the idea of returning the ash back to the earth like dephnerose has stated by putting the ash on the plants outside.... but I've never been effected by the left over ash when I usually have incense buring from the time I awake in the morning til the time I go to bed at night.... but then again... it's all in how you feel yourself with your work space....

Ash scrying? Do tell. This seems like a good idea.

For the past few months, whenever ash builds up I dump it into a large glass jar. I am intending to do something with it (besides return it to the Earth), but I'm not quite sure what yet....

I do not have issues working with old ash but I can understand how the energy could pose a problem. Perhaps you can make a sort of simple ceremony out of disposing of the ash after each burn.

I also agree that ash scrying sounds very intriguing... do tell!
    Cosmic
    Tree Forest

Ash-scrying is something I sort of began doing without reading about it anywhere, so it probably isn't a valid form of scrying.

Basically, when I use incense (sticks, I don't use other forms), I put intent and consecrate them for whatever purpose I need them for. For example, money. If I burn one for luck in getting a job or something, I think that looking at the ashes, where they fall, how big a chunk collects before it falls off the stick, etc. is a good thing to take note of. I try to do some weird scrying that way, as I think the incense ashes might have some additional insight on the situation at hand. :3 Still, like I said... I haven't read it as a valid form of scrying, so take that into consideration :P

I put mine in a jar, not only do I put it around my plants, I also use it at my basement windows to detract spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    I put mine in a jar, not only do I put it around my plants, I also use it at my basement windows to detract spiders.
    That sounds like a good idea. :D I love how 'reduce, reuse' that is. Actually, I might steal that idea from you. :3 I didn't know it detracted spiders, too. :3 Thanks for telling about this ~ :D

Quote Originally Posted by StarlitNox View Post
    I haven't read it as a valid form of scrying, so take that into consideration :P
    In my opinion, if you can practice it and you get results, it is completely valid! It makes a lot of sense, and when I think about it I can't believe I haven't seen it elsewhere.
    Cosmic
    Tree Forest

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicTree View Post
    In my opinion, if you can practice it and you get results, it is completely valid! It makes a lot of sense, and when I think about it I can't believe I haven't seen it elsewhere.
    I'd want to know if it worked for others, too~ xD