Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Atheists

Question for the Atheists

Here's a question for you Atheistic folks.

Do you believe in spirits, but not deity? Do you believe in energy work?

So often I've heard Atheism to equate to believe only in hard science fact, to the exclusion of any "mysteries," but is that the essence of Atheism?
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

I believe in what is easiest explained as the Kami.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Some do and some don't. It really doesn't have anything to do with atheism. Atheism is just lack of belief in deity. I personally don't believe in spirits or energy work as such, but that has nothing to do with me being an atheist as such, but me being a skeptic as well.

Some people arrive at atheism first and then migrate towards believing in less and less supernatural things, some don't stop believing in supernatural things just because they are atheists. I don't know if this post made sense at all... Lol, I'm currently working on one hour of sleep in the past 24+ hours.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ĉon Flux View Post
    Some do and some don't. It really doesn't have anything to do with atheism. Atheism is just lack of belief in deity. I personally don't believe in spirits or energy work as such, but that has nothing to do with me being an atheist as such, but me being a skeptic as well.

Some people arrive at atheism first and then migrate towards believing in less and less supernatural things, some don't stop believing in supernatural things just because they are atheists. I don't know if this post made sense at all... Lol, I'm currently working on one hour of sleep in the past 24+ hours.
    I see what you're saying. Now, get some rest, chicka!

As already stated atheism means one whom doesn't believe in deity, period. Atheism as nothing to do with believing or not in anything else.
    I dont believe in deity, atheist.
    But I am very spiritual and definitely believe and practice various spiritual and energy based workings.
    Animist, Buddhist, Taoist, metaphysical practitioners, and other systems can and do contain atheist in some of their philosophies.

No spirits, no magical energies, nothing like that.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

Quote Originally Posted by WokeUpDead View Post
    No spirits, no magical energies, nothing like that.
    Are you saying that's your point of view, or the standard definition of atheism? Some people in this thread so far might disagree with you.

I guess I don't understand where the cut off is. No gods, check. But spirits and other 'spiritual things' are/could be real? Seems to me that if you make room for the possibility of spirt stuff you make room for the possibility of all spirit stuff....or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Unless you could explain their existence in the natural world as a natural occurence, but then the same arguement can be used for 'god'. Or if the arguement is against the infallability/omniscient god heads how does that fit with deity that are neither infallable nor omniscient?

Or I could be wrong.

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I guess I don't understand where the cut off is. No gods, check. But spirits and other 'spiritual things' are/could be real? Seems to me that if you make room for the possibility of spirt stuff you make room for the possibility of all spirit stuff....or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Unless you could explain their existence in the natural world as a natural occurence, but then the same arguement can be used for 'god'. Or if the arguement is against the infallability/omniscient god heads how does that fit with deity that are neither infallable nor omniscient?

Or I could be wrong.
    That would be a question for an atheist who believes in spirits and such. However, as pointed out, by definition all that is required for atheism is the lack of belief in a deity. As an atheist who doesn't believe in any of that I can not answer it for you.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    Are you saying that's your point of view, or the standard definition of atheism? Some people in this thread so far might disagree with you.
    I can't speak for everyone but I'd imagine that's the case for most atheists at least. Believing in spirits and/or energies requires a pretty big leap of faith that doesn't seem very consistent with atheism.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast