Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiding runes - effects?

Hiding runes - effects?

So, every time a relative comes over/in my room, I have to quickly hide the things on my altar... runes, cards, incense, etc. They're onto me, so they know what those things are used for, unfortunately. The first thing to be semi-violently thrown under the altar table in a rush is ALWAYS the runes. I wish the family'd call before they popped over...

Anyhow, I was wondering... does this have any effect on them? How would you handle them after they come out of hiding, cleansing, consecrating, etc? I'm pretty sure this is a silly question, but I've only been involved with runes for a short time now so for all I know there's something crucial that I'm completely oblivious to. :P This is why I ask. Thanks in advance~

Have you thoguth of maybe using a jewelry box or something else to hold the runes? I dont see any damage per se other than physical depending what they hit. **Sidenote: Answer your door nude one time and I promise they will Call before any more visits Or next time answer in a robe,even if its over your clothes, and say WOW you all surprised me..if You had called I wouldnt have drawn a bath...maybe theyll get the hint.

There's a long tradition of "in the broom closet" magic, so hiding magical gear doesn't automatically deconsecrate it. It would be less stressful for you, though, to have paraphernalia that can easily be disguised as something more innocent. Keep the runes in a decorative jar, for instance.

You might also find this useful. It's a spell I wrote for WitchForum.net to help protect closeted witches from unwanted attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi_phx View Post
    Have you thoguth of maybe using a jewelry box or something else to hold the runes? I dont see any damage per se other than physical depending what they hit. **Sidenote: Answer your door nude one time and I promise they will Call before any more visits Or next time answer in a robe,even if its over your clothes, and say WOW you all surprised me..if You had called I wouldnt have drawn a bath...maybe theyll get the hint.
    They're pretty tough little glass things, and I have a bunch of spare, so thankfully it doesn't matter if they break. However, since I DO have backups, they never get damaged. lolol Honestly, I was worried about ~tainting~ them or royally offending a God/dess. D: Also, my niece and sisters like to rifle through my things, and a jewelry box is the first place they'd look.
    Oh God, next time my niece pops over half-drunk, I'm going to have to answer nude. I can only imagine how that would work out, I'll wait until my fiancée gets here from Australia to do it... "OH GOD what are you guys DOING?" Nobody wants to see their aunt like that, even if there's only an 11 month age difference XD

Quote Originally Posted by Daecon View Post
    There's a long tradition of "in the broom closet" magic, so hiding magical gear doesn't automatically deconsecrate it. It would be less stressful for you, though, to have paraphernalia that can easily be disguised as something more innocent. Keep the runes in a decorative jar, for instance.

You might also find this useful. It's a spell I wrote for WitchForum.net to help protect closeted witches from unwanted attention.
    That might actually work, right now I keep them in an obvious "HEY, you don't know what's in me, take a peek, extremely closed-minded and prejudice Catholic!" drawstring bag. The runes were actually decorative beads made just for going into vases/jars/etc, I just drew and painted on them XD For tarot, I use playing cards, so that doesn't always need to get hidden. Sometimes I just do, since I don't know very many card games, so it's sort of weird to keep them around all the time :P Other than candles and incense, the only other tool I have is my necklace which I use as a pendulum.

I'm going to put that spell in my book when I get my laptop back from repairs (I don't keep a physical BOS). I like the verse in it, especially since I don't really like saying big, long, overly-dramatic verses in my rituals/spells. Not sure why. o_o'

It should be pointed out that one of the traditional translations for rune is "secret." They were meant to be understood by only a few, and as such, I don't think hiding them would have much of an effect.

While unrelated to the runes (and perhaps I'm lucky..) the family I have that disrespects my path aren't welcome in my home. Period. End of story. It is MY home and if they can't be respectful in it (or, at the very least call first) then they don't get to come in. Unless they are paying your bills, they have no right to just barge in and go through your things.

Usually it's considered best to keep runes in a safe place, hidden away in a bag, box and placed in something like a drawer. If they're made of glass and you mishandle them you could chip them by doing that. You're in your own place and adult so you should make it known to others that they can't just turn up. It's your life and your path. You shouldn't let your family make you feel ashamed of who you are. Also you don't have to let them in either. Ask them to contact you first to arrange a visit.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Runa~ View Post
    Usually it's considered best to keep runes in a safe place, hidden away in a bag, box and placed in something like a drawer. If they're made of glass and you mishandle them you could chip them by doing that.
    Very much agreed on accidental chips in glass runes. I live in constant fear.
    I avoid consulting my Runes unless absolutely necessary. I'm afraid of the paint rubbing off, or the glass chipping.
    I don't even feel safe shaking my Runes up, as directed by most vitki.

I stir them, weakly. If I'm feeling ballsy, I'll give the bag a small swirl.

Ah, well, I suppose this is my reward for not hand-carving my own runes from wood, bleeding myself upon them, and such.

Taciturn and prudent, and in war daring, should a king's children be;
    joyous and liberal every one should be until his hour of death.

The Words of Odin the High One - translated by Benjamin Thorpe

I've worked with glass runes before, and haven't had problems with chipping or paint coming off, and I toss my runes onto a cloth when reading with my glass ones. Right now, I'm using a set of rectangular cedar runes that I had custom-made for me. They have their own little box. Looking at the box, you'd never have a clue what was in it. It's just a very small, red cedar box with a hummingbird laser engraved on it. Luckily, I'm a very out person, so it's not a matter of hiding my runes from those who might have issues. I'm blunt with everyone that if there's something about me they don't like, they can either put up with it or leave.
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

The reason I hide is because I don't want to mess up the relationship I have with my mom. We had two instances where things were just BAD until I gave in and lied about it and said that I'm "saved" once again. My mom and I are close, but she can be a bit closed-minded at times. The only thing I hate about her, honestly. Even so, my faith is really none of her business anyway, and we don't talk about it. At least she knows I've come to hate Christianity.

I really need to do something about the surprise visits, I agree with everyone who said something about that. Yesterday, my cousin came out of nowhere and started banging a beat (O_o) on my door and singing really loudly... I was in the middle of talking out some problems with my fiancée in Aus (over Skype), and by the time my cousin left, my fiancée left to his doctor appt. ;o; That was irritating. I need a "CALL BEFORE YOU KNOCK" sign on my door or something.

Or I should just quit being so damn passive...

But yeah, when I get some runes made from stones, I'm not going to want to toss them around, so I should get a little box I can lock for my divination tools (even if my cards are playing cards and my pendulum is a necklace my dad gave me)

Thanks for all the replies, guys :D :D
    Last edited by Twig-Nix; June 7th, 2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: : D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast