Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Laura Cabot and Christopher Penczak, Fluffy or Not

is offline Solitary Practitioner Of Eclectic Wicca
    LOL! I was going to say "Isn't her name Laurie Cabot?" I have also been to her old shop, seen her on TV many times, etc as I live in MA. I think at one time she might have been "normal", but I think her fame has gone to her head over the years and she has gotten greedy. I think she likes to put on a show and has become sooo eccentric to just add to that to this persona she has created for herself, and she thinks sooo highly of herself that she feels people will pay more money for her things, because, well, it's Laurie Cabot, The Official Witch of Salem! LOL! If anything, you are paying for her name. Not the actual product.

I don't know anything about, and have never read anything by the other guy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    By the light of the moon and sun,
    May you be blessed where ever you go.
    And always remember to have fun,
    While your mind continues to grow.

SkylarB

Never read anything by Christopher Penczak. I don't know if I'd call it fluffy but I was very offput but Cabot's "The Witch in Every Woman" To me I find both male and female aspects important in deity as in life. She goes so far as to say that "the God" is only there to serve the Goddess, and not being Wiccan I don't believe in just the two deities, but I still found it very upsetting. Enough that I was glad the book was a loaner and not a waste of $$

I haven't read Penczak but his whining about this season of True Blood's portrayal of witches gave me a goof eye roll.

Cabot I have only read one book: "The Witch in Every Woman". I agree with the one Ariste that it was very Goddess-centered but I did like the way it was written and it had some good things to offer. I thought for someone like me who had been so knocked down in my life it was really empowering.
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

So far I've found Penczak's books to be very focused on witchcraft as a science, not so much a spirituality. He's very focused on magic, not so much on a personal relationship with the Divine. I like his books but they aren't very Wiccan, if that's what you're looking for. They aren't anti Wiccan though. I own several and plan to order more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Gnosis View Post
    So far I've found Penczak's books to be very focused on witchcraft as a science, not so much a spirituality. He's very focused on magic, not so much on a personal relationship with the Divine. I like his books but they aren't very Wiccan, if that's what you're looking for. They aren't anti Wiccan though. I own several and plan to order more.
    Realistically though that makes sense. Penczak was trained initially by Laurie Cabot who was not Wiccan so he was never Wiccan. He uses Wicca in the sense of it being "Witchcraft" but not Wiccan. Laurie also doesn't have a spiritual leaning in her works to much either but focuses more on the self and to a degree the science of the Craft as a craft. He does lean more towards a wiccanesq leaning than Laurie does though in his general practice. One of the things that made Laurie an outsider for a long time compared to the "Wiccan" influx of things in the 90's and 2000's. The type of stuff that made the works of Laurie Cabot appear fluffy and the works of Paul Huson appear Dark and scary at the same time to a lot that were hailing Book Wicca. What some were reffing to as Bicca or similar things.

I've never read Cabot's books, but I love the books by Penczak and I have most of them. He went to our coven's space to give workshops, and gave workshop to another place in the city I live, and I went to one myself. From the first wiccan coven I was part of there sprouted in 10 years numerous more covens. The first coven I was part of folded mostly because many members were moving either for work or to continue their studies somewhere else, but the Tradition still exists and the other covens are still running. One thing I don't like from some authors is their "my way or the highway" and Penczak is the complete opposite, and that is one reason why Penczak's books are so thick, is because he gives you well elaborately many ways to do one thing, and gives you hints how to do things your way. He knows very well the subjects of the books he wrote about.

I'm reading his Reiki Magick book and I like too how he says "this is not a traditional reiki book" and things like "this is my experience".

Who cares if it isnt her real last name, many people take penn names or alternative names in the community for various reasons.

That said yes, Laurie Cabot is fluffy and shes fluffy in many of her own ways... definitely an aesthetic fluff ball.
    Penczak from what i've seen of his work is less fluffy than much of what's out there on the market, which admittedly isn't saying much.
    i like how he brings together witchcraft, ceremonialism etc presenting that to people who otherwise would not get a balanced taste.
    There are things he does that i find fluffy but i am very serious and find most everybody fluffy.

i think his stuff does suffer from the commercial plague though....
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3