Thread: China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

is offline <-- My own damn artwork for a change

China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...et-gaming-scam
    "One between two worlds chants, "fire walk with me""

I've seen this reported around various blogs, like Kotaku...but it almost sounds too insane to be true. Even for China. Though knowing their past issues with "prisoner ethics," I can't help but suspect that this is truly happening.

I know that in South Korea earning and selling gold on World of Warcraft is a massive industry so I wouldn't be suprised if corrupt prison officials were using prisoners fo that kind of thing.

Yea, I hate to say it but online gamers are well aware of the problem. The major companies behind the games do what they can, ban/suspend. But like in WoW's case with 11 billion players/accounts.. they can't employ enough people to keep track all of the time and so they rely heavily on players reporting the activity that we see. So we report, they ban/suspend and move on. Seriously, we've been greeting 'chinese farmers' with Ni Hao.. for several years now. There's not much more to do about it.

I suspect that even with the ToS stating you can't make money off the games, I wonder if it holds little weight with foreign law? I'm not sure. I'm not a lawyer. Just a thought.