Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Does anyone work with Hekate/Hecate?

I must chime in here and say that I consider Hecate to be my matron goddess.
    www.angrywitch.com

In memory of Flar7

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    I don't see her as really "dark" other than her being involved in relatively esoteric information and mysteries, as well as being an aggressive or assertive goddess.

Might just be my speculation, though.
    I got the impression of a temper, and a somewhat more severe one than Kali; although I doubt more severe...just different. She isn't negative, in that sense, I didn't think; just hard as nails and "won't take any nonsense," in an English grammar school headmistress kind of way. She did reassure me a little, though. I got the impression that she actually likes people to fear her, to a degree; so if you're nervous, that can encourage her to go easier on you. Not so much in sadistic terms, but more along the lines of, "well yes, I am badass, so you should be scared."

Like I said, it was only a single contact, and I have no idea if was real or not; but assuming it was, I don't think she's someone who I'd enjoy working with on a regular basis, to be honest. She's a little too stern for me.
    Last edited by petrus4; August 25th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
    "I worship the greatly beautiful one, with limbs the colour of thunderclouds, who is naked and sits on the corpse of Shiva, who has three eyes and earrings made of the bones of two young handsome boys, who is garlanded with skulls and flowers. In her lower left and upper right hands she holds a man's head and a sword, her other two hands bestowing boons and banishing fear. Her hair is greatly dishevelled."

-- Chapter 13, The
    Brihad Nila Tantra.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    read the Homeric Hymn to Demeter.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

I made service to Hecate for Samhain, and I've been dealing with some necessary upheavals. I'm kind of glad for them, knowing that the best is coming. I feel like She was responsible for them.

Yes. Hecate, the tender one, the night mother is one I revere deeply.She is the gate through which light must pass to reveal wisdom.

She is seen as harsh because she requires balance. She will force you to *See* your own darkness before she will do so to another on your behalf.

She is not human. Period. She does not think as a human and if one is not mentally able to partition their mind while housing a goddess such as Hecate then to experiance viewing another human as significant as an ant in the universal sized breadth of existence... It can be perturbing.
    But she is amazing, gentil and steel. She gives so much, and what she asks for is in our best interest anyways.
    Her lessons are hard, for even those that are warm motherly hugs.... You are forever altered, every time the scales drop from our delusions of reality.
    And she is beguiling, the dance of her energy is mesmerizing and breath taking to walk among the roots with her and learn truth.
    Last edited by Nylphenia; December 10th, 2016 at 06:56 AM.
    "There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

be the rock in the water and the leaf floating on the current at the same time.

I've worked a lot with Hekate, and work the ritual of her sacred fires every year. She will test you, put you through trials and temper you by fire. She isn't malicious and will nurture your path (and she will show you your path, you may not end up strictly devoted to her but she often is a defining factor in you being shown your place) however, she demands work, and will not coddle you regardless of whether you think you are ready or not. She will make you fall and struggle to get to where you are going. You learn to do things properly and walk the line with her- but, she has an excellent sense of humor when you screw up.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

This thread interests me - as recently she was mentioned as one deity I should soon work with by my guides. I've not had much information on her until now, only seeing little bits about her in my musings. I honestly am not sure how to approach her, so until I do I probably won't. I am at a spiritual / developmental crossroads of sorts, perhaps this plays into why her, why now?

- Tip-toeing the raggedy edge of something magnificently dark but truly amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNomad View Post
    This thread interests me - as recently she was mentioned as one deity I should soon work with by my guides. I've not had much information on her until now, only seeing little bits about her in my musings. I honestly am not sure how to approach her, so until I do I probably won't. I am at a spiritual / developmental crossroads of sorts, perhaps this plays into why her, why now?
    Bolded mine

In my experience with Hekate if she desires to teach or guide you then it's not a matter of you approaching her she will proactively grab you.

Just my own opinion but I think Hekate is badly mis-represented by the neo-pagan movement / community and especially under the Maiden-Mother-Crone trinity concept. For many that try to utilize that concept and keep her within a Hellene pantheon they make her actually a Maiden as part of the trinity of Hekate-Persephone-Demeter. It ties into the mythology of her being the source that guides (actually follows Hermes actually leads Persephone) the Mother figure of Persephone after she is married to Hades and is lead from the underworld, and undergoes the rites within the Eleusinian Mysteries and re-emerges into the upper world to be received by the crone Demeter. Her conflating as part of the lunar trinity of Diana-Luna-Hecate (trying to keep the Hellene flavor will use Artemis (full moon)-Selene (all aspects of the moon - original moon goddess)-Hekate (dark moon)) will not actually occur until much later though she will become associated to the moon in her Chaldean Persona as the place where the daemon are located.

One thing about Hekate, again my opinion, is you have to decide which Hekate your looking at. Most Neo-Pagans it seems to me focus upon the Roman magical association and the later Christian influence upon her making her a darker goddess. The Athenian's make her a darker goddess but that also ties into the theory she is not originally a Hellene goddess. Especially conflated with the story of Medea and her magical usage and the later murder of all her children as proof of the barbarian / savage nature of the uncivilized nature of things not Hellene.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3