Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone work with Hekate/Hecate?

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ate&highlight=

My recent contribution on the subject.

May you find what you seek,
    Alice
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Everything is relative; truth, reality, ethics... Cousins.

Blog

Proprietor: The Dragon and Sphinx and Art of Creation

Priestess of Hecate

Right now I'm at a crossroads, going through an extremely hard time in my life. I got a disease, started college, broke up (badly) with my boyfriend of almost four years. I'm planning on doing a seven day ritual and invoking Hekate for her guidance and help.

MourningMoon,

I'm curious as to what your planning to do and will the whole seven days involve Hekate / Hecate? Personally i'd not invoke or evoke her as most will not like what is brough to them and once done she is pretty unforgiving when you ignore her advise and guidance. Of course I admit your usage of invoke may simply mean to invite her to participate in your ritual / ceremony which is not how I identify the word invoke. For me to invoke is to summon her into my own body and experince it along with her, surrendering my own control over the body to her. Evoke to me is similiar but the body she will inhabit is that of a statue that she breathes life into or a sacred place or space that she will take control over and make her own. Though even that may produce some facets that will scare the heck out of you.

I'd also be curious as to what type of libations and offerings you'll make to her. Even as to which capacity of her you'll make offerings and libations to. Remember she is the goddess of three things, The Heavens, The Earth and The Oceans so for me if I make offerings and libations to her Chthonic facets its in a sunken depression in the soil, to her celestial or watery facets its upon a raised altar or upon water itself. Her tri-formus form can represent the Y shaped cross-roads and the path followed, the path that lies before and the path not taken but also the past, the future and the present. One might even equate it to the notions of What might be, What could be and what may be as we make our decessions about our lives and the pathwalks we shall step upon, though I have also seen it described as What we should do, What we shouldn't do and what we should ignore for the moment and at our own expense.

I'd also be curious as to when you shall do these things and even where you shall perfomr those rituals and / or ceremonies. Yes I am a curious person, especially when it comes to dealings with Hekate / Hecate for I find that even when dealing with UPG issues most of her practioners arrive at nearly the same UPG influences and concepts. beingh one who is honor bound and sworn to her I enjoy hearing what others do and how they go about it. Will admit I do challenge at times though usually it is something behind me that pushes those issues as well as my own beliefs.

If you care not to talk about it that's fine and i'll not hold agrudge or anything because of it. For me its just curious and looking to see how other's do honor her (Hekate / Hecate). If I can be of assistance to you or be used as a sounding board please feel free to ask away. Can't say i'll answer with what you want to hear but I can assure you it will be honest and truthful to the best of my ability and knowledge.

Firstly, and do not make fun of my naivety, but what is 'UPG'?

Quote Originally Posted by MourningMoon View Post
    Firstly, and do not make fun of my naivety, but what is 'UPG'?
    I may challenege people on things but I hope I never come across as making fun of something or someone who does not have a certain knowledge. Well not making fun unless that is the general gist of the topic at hand.

UPG is Unverified (Unverifable) Personal Gnosis. Usually seen as something that someone feels within and about a thing that can never be verified by any outside source. Some examples might be having a dream where your god / goddess tells you to make an offering of a certain substance to them but no historical source can be found to support that item as an offering. It could be a feeling that you hold about how your god / goddess feels about something or what they desire you to do that again there is nothing verifiable or historical to support what you believe.

Yet I've also found that many people have UPG's about thier given god / goddess yet they many times are similiar to what other practitioners hold. For instance for me Hekate / Hecate in her ocean persona is associated to the coastal waters and not the deep ocean waters. In that I see her with sea weed and ocean foam and usually hued in shallow water colors. While I can not prove it or find hard reference to support it many other's I have spoken to who follow Hekate / Hecate see her in a similiar location and influnece about coastal waters and not deep ocean waters. Yet we never see her in reference to inshore lakes and waters.

My fiancée and I work with and worship Hekate in our rituals. Initially because she felt right for the context--we're Wiccans, practising in a pretty conventional format and have the traditional focus on witchcraft, nature, magic, and fertility--but later because of UPG experiences. Notably, my fiancée has seen her and heard from her in meditation and ritual trances. My focus is much more on the Horned God, and even moreso on the abstract energies of nature and the seasons, but I obviously recognise and am dedicated to Hekate.

But in recent rituals, I have called upon Hekate and her energy to help with my being at some crossroads in my life, with some new beginnings that I'm having to go through.
    Last edited by Louisvillian; May 12th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

My own (very limited; maybe one experience) UPG (I like that term) where Hecate is concerned, was that while she is still very scary, she isn't quite as scary as what some people perhaps make out. By that I mean that, while she's certainly not someone that you want to be cavalier with, she's not necessarily going to randomly kill you, purely for the hell of it, either. I was worried about the possibility of her killing me at the time, to be honest; because people have tended to imply that she possibly can do that. She's usually depicted as a Goddess of death, I think.

But like I said, I don't think she's quite as bad as what some people make out; but again, that doesn't mean you shouldn't tread lightly.

I was reminded a lot of Lindy Chamberlain, to be honest; although that could be just my impression as an Australian.
    "I worship the greatly beautiful one, with limbs the colour of thunderclouds, who is naked and sits on the corpse of Shiva, who has three eyes and earrings made of the bones of two young handsome boys, who is garlanded with skulls and flowers. In her lower left and upper right hands she holds a man's head and a sword, her other two hands bestowing boons and banishing fear. Her hair is greatly dishevelled."

-- Chapter 13, The
    Brihad Nila Tantra.

Honestly, she gets a really bad reputation due to the Greeks' own misrepresentations of her. Most of what is written comes from Athenian records and religion, which distrusted the traditions and cults in pretty much everywhere north of Thessaly and east of the Attic coast-- including Ionia, where Hekate's worship originated.
    She is inherently a goddess of mysticism. The mysteries of life, death, rebirth, magic, and wisdom are often hard things to understand and are thus mistrusted or feared. This was true in the ancient world just as much as it is with modern society. I don't see her as really "dark" other than her being involved in relatively esoteric information and mysteries, as well as being an aggressive or assertive goddess.

Might just be my speculation, though.

I agree that a lot of her reputation derives from later Greek periods and Roman historians. But one also has to consider the Chaldean Hecate / Hekate and the Greeco-Roman Hecate / Hekate which have vastly differing mythologies and history. The Chaldean history is probably closer to the ancient state of Caria's origination at Lagina in Anatolia than the alternate origination believed to be located in Thrace. The only connection to Ionia is that the state of Caria was south by southeast of it and more inland of Ionia and an independent state except for the short time it was part of state of Lydia before being taken over in the Persian advance into the area.

It is possible though that one gets a particial picture of the Thracian Hecate via her Hecate Lampadephoros persona at Byzantine at the time of Phillip of Macedonia's push into Anatolia. Especially her symbology being the cresent moon and star that became the city symbol for modern Istanbul. A symbology that is also found unconnected on a number of Thracian coins.

I think from an Athenian perspective one has to give consideration to the story of Iphigenia and Orestes and the bringing of the Artemis image to Athens and Brauron. Especially given the connection of Iphigenia and her names as Hecate the high priestess to the Taurian Artemis. Then even the later migration of both Artemis and Hecate as Orestes carried the Image of Artemis about the Med and establishing sanctuaries to both Artemis and Hecate before ending up at Orthia.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    i think the Athenian attitude can be clearly seen in Euripides play "Medea'.
    Euripides painted Medea as the perfect foriegner, from her dress to her dialogue and certainly to her actions. by alienating her so far he is basically saying "look, she is not like us and therefore cannot be trusted. and only someone so completely different from us could do such a heinous thing".
    Medea, who is intimately connected to Hekate in ancient literature, can be seen here as standing in for Hekate in this situation. She too is foriegn, and from somewhere over near that hated Persia region, and therefore NOT to be trusted. perhaps we can merge Her with Artemis and domesticate Her a bit, THEN maybe we will call Her Greek.

i have worked with Hekate extensively over the years, especially the past 2 or 3. but even after all this time it never ceases to amaze me when i see things come to fruition, when i can see the magic come to life in a very real way. She really does answer sincere prayers, but there is absolutely a cost, and it can be pretty dear.

the Gods are the Gods. do not underestimate them.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast