Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sexual Disorders; Past And Present And Their Role In Society

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    I didn't say addiction was ALL pleasure, I countered Aeon's point that addiction brings no pleasure. I am still addicted to nicotine and food. I still get pleasure from a good smoke or a good meal. You should have seen me damn near orgasm while eating a cheesesteak from Pat's in Philly a couple weeks ago. It can still be pleasurable even if you are addicted. With that said, you are correct that it isn't all about pleasure. Often I don't enjoy my nicotine, I do it to fulfill a need. Interestingly enough I do always try to enjoy my food.

It can also be called denial that there is a problem. I've quoted you here....but I also know that you are one of the rare individuals that can partake in all sorts of addictive things without becoming addicted. You are not the norm...but you already know that.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    Apparently Mr. Weiner has the same opinion. He's in treatment.

Is it spin? Maybe. Or maybe the guy has a Sex Addiction.

I'm betting Sex Addiction.

Yeah....people get addicted to the rush. That's why it's called compulsive behavior. Kleptomaniacs may steal a small lipstick...feel the rush...and then find that the lipstick stealing isn't cutting it...so they move on to a ring...and then that doesn't cut it...so they go to the purses....until they are caught and have to look at their behavior.

Just because one gets caught acting out doesn't mean they don't have a compulsion, Memnoch.
    Nor does doing something, being caught, and seeking help when you are in the spotlight. Also it should be pointed out that he never said he was going for treatment related to sex, just that he was going for treatment, which could include marital counsilling.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

It can also be called denial that there is a problem. I've quoted you here....but I also know that you are one of the rare individuals that can partake in all sorts of addictive things without becoming addicted. You are not the norm...but you already know that.
    While that may be true, there are other things I do become addicted to. I wasn't addicted to cigarettes the first 3 years I smoked (I would quit for a month at a time once a year to prove to myself I wasn't physically addicted). Truth is, eventually it got me. Now I lose it when I don't have nicotine. Same with food.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

And? He obviously has a problem with something...or he wouldn't be going into treatment. Hypersexuality in conjunction with drug or alcohol addiction is not uncommon. Marital counseling would be a given in this situation as well.

Most people aren't going to confront their problems until there is a serious consequence...like getting caught or arrested, a medical issue like lung cancer, etc.

That is the nature of addiction.
    Last edited by Twinkle; June 14th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

And? He obviously has a problem with something...or he wouldn't be going into treatment. Hypersexuality in conjunction with drug or alcohol addiction is not uncommon. Marital counseling would be a given in this situation as well.

Most people aren't going to confront their problems until there is a serious consequence...like getting caught or arrested.
    most famous people will also seek help when they have been caught doing something the public disaproves of, whether or not they have an issue with it.

On that note time for me to head to work for a 16 hour day...so I will continue this tomorrow

I will miss you. We need to debate more often. It's addicting. :D

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    I would like to argue your addicts not enjoying their addiction theory. I have been addicted to nicotene, and quite enjoyed my cigarettes, not only because they fulfilled the need, but for the enjoyment of smoking, and flavors. That is why I regularly went between cigarettes, pipe, and cigars, and often my cigarettes were flavored, whether it was cloves, bidis, or one of the many flavors offered by Camel and Kool (back when flavors were legal). I enjoyed it emmensly. I also was a bit of an alcoholic, drinking 3-5 nights a week, 8-12 drinks a night. I quite enjoyed the drinking, again, not just to fill the need, but the taste, the social aspects, and the feeling. Same with food.
    You're not "a bit of an alcoholic". You're an alcoholic or you are not.

From here: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic....com/addiction

Diagnosis
    In addition to a preoccupation with using and acquiring the abused substance, the diagnosis of addiction is based on five criteria:
    loss of willpower
    harmful consequences
    unmanageable lifestyle
    tolerance or escalation of use
    withdrawal symptoms upon quitting
    The site above has a bunch of sources attached to it. In essence, doesn't sound very enjoyable, does it?

People have thrown around the word "addicted" carelessly a lot. Same as with depression. You're not depressed if you feel blue for a couple of days very three years. You're depressed when it severely interferes with your life above from eating a large ice-cream once per month. You're not addicted if you don't develop dependency, it harms your life, your behavior escalates, you get withdrawal symptoms and your willpower goes poof. You may be on your way to it, but you're not there yet. The whole deal with addiction is that it becomes a running herd of wildabeasts that you can't control, and it just keeps getting worse.

It's not out of enjoyment one goes out and has a cigarette after a couple of hours without one, it's the GIVE-ME-MY-EFFIN-NICOTINE-NOW-OR-I-WILL-SMASH-YOUR-FACE-IN! that makes you go out and spark up, if you ARE addicted. Then the "enjoyment" kicks in, which is no more than your brain going "thank you, moron". It affects your health, you smell, you spend gross amounts of money on it and a lot of people can't quit on their own.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Addiction is not a character judgement. It's not weakness. It's an illness that needs treatment...just like any other illness.

Of course, the hurt and damage that an addict causes to those that love them is horrendous. It causes hurt, resentment, emotional pain, and loss of trust.

That's where the emotion kicks in and people get a kneejerk reaction when it comes to addiction and the addict.

If we look at it for what it really is, though....it can be treated if people want to make the choice to change.

They have to be held accountable for their actions...addiction is not an excuse....but good people can be addicts.

Being in the public eye doesn't suddenly mean they are immune to addiction. It just makes them more....public...and their problems under greater scrutiny than the average middle aged man having trouble letting go of his sexual compulsion triggered by the internet.
    Last edited by Twinkle; June 14th, 2011 at 09:48 AM.

This article is relevant to our discussion:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1201095601.htm

In a first of its kind study, a team of investigators led by Justin Garcia, a SUNY Doctoral Diversity Fellow in the laboratory of evolutionary anthropology and health at Binghamton University, State University of New York, has taken a broad look at sexual behavior, matching choices with genes and has come up with a new theory on what makes humans 'tick' when it comes to sexual activity. The biggest culprit seems to be the dopamine receptor D4 polymorphism, or DRD4 gene. Already linked to sensation-seeking behavior such as alcohol use and gambling, DRD4 is known to influence the brain's chemistry and subsequently, an individual's behavior.
    This one is interesting with regards to risk-taking behavior between the sexes:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0608081555.htm
    A new doctoral thesis from the University of Gothenburg shows that young Swedish women are more prone than men to perceive situations as risky. However, there are no gender differences in actual risk-taking behaviour.
    An article suggesting that skepticism is sorely lacking in studies about the differences between the genders:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1027160953.htm
    Some of the problems start with the research. The studies Fine came across were often conducted with small numbers of men and women, where the differences seen could have been due to chance. It's very easy and obvious for neuroscientists to compare the sexes by default. But when neuroscientists habitually check for sex differences, some researchers, just by chance, will find statistically significant differences between the two groups -- even if there's no real difference between men and women overall.
    This problem of false positive results is understood by the neuroscientists who do the research; they know that one study with 20-odd participants that finds some small region of difference between males and females is not the final word on the issue. But these often subtle, questionable differences are readily seized on by popular writers, Fine says.
    While wikipedia is not the end-all, be-all of research and data, the sources ARE listed for the ideas put forth in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidelity
    The authors propose that a social mechanism may be responsible for the observed results. In other words, replicable sex differences in emotion and sexual jealousy could be a function of a social function. Similar studies (Ward & Voracek, 2004) focusing on the masculinization and feminization by society also argue for a social explanation, while discounting an evolutionary explanation.[21]

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch
    Please read something before putting out the experiences of what a couple of guys you know tell you. There is a long list of scientific studies, books, ect that explain the biological need for diversity. Here is a quick link http://www.google.com/search?q=biolo...en&sa=N&tab=sw. While you are reading that how about you read the studies that show that 50-70% of married men cheat (I can't find any for non married committed men), so yes, the reality is a majority of men do cheat, despite what you want to believe.
    Where are you getting your "50-70%" statistic? Here's an article that states that that statistic is more like 20%. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7352599&page=1

With that in mind, I wish there were more women like you out there...when a woman is either so naive or so convinced by the b.s. she is told that men do not have urges, it makes it much easier to get away with said urges behind their backs.
    All I have to say in response to your petty quip is this: Narcissistic Heterosexual Men Target Their Hostility Primarily at Heterosexual Women, the Objects of Their Desires, Study Finds

It is true that a certain amount of Narcissism and Sociopathology is evident with addiction. It has to be...because the compulsion is all consuming. It's not about people...it's about *the fix*.

The denial factor that there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with *them* is first and foremost. It's everyone else who doesn't get it.
    Last edited by Twinkle; June 14th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast