Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isnt a cauldron just a dutch oven with legs ?

Isnt a cauldron just a dutch oven with legs ?

Okay so Ive been looking at the cauldrons on amazon.com and else were and I find these cauldrons right.
    You know the ones Im talking about, there nice and shiny and have either the pentagram or the three Goddesses symbol on them, with the three legs and they look great but when you read the description it says "Not made for food use". Being the practical person I am it doesn't make sense. If it leeches toxins then why am I going to cast spells that involve burning items in it to leech toxins in the air or when I pour a liquid out to do the same into the ground ?
    So I realize that I have my trusted 6 quart dutch oven, its cast iron, been used more times under the glow of the moon and the stars by the fireside than anything else I own except for my walking staff.
    So my question is does the cauldron have symbolism in Craft, such as its shape or its three legs or does it symbolize the Goddess in someway or finally am I really just over thinking it ?

is offline She who dances to the pulse of the Earth
    For real I would NOT get it if it said not food safe that is kindof scary lol

Sadly some people are just out for a profit & they will make crap and sell it because there are tons of people who either just do not think about/realize or are the type to go out and buy a whole witch set as soon as they decide to become one lol

Some dutch ovens even have the 3 legs too! But it does not have to have 3 legs to be used. It is the same thing. I think the real symbolism is it being a large bowl type vessel.

I would definitely go with something you already have and have a connection with. If you want something smaller you can find miniature ones on amazon too that are food safe. I found one by Lodge Logic that is cute.
    Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

I think you should use whatever feels right. Some people believe the cauldron has certain symbolisms, but I'd say those symbolisms have more to do with it being a vessel of a certain shape than it being an actual, purpose made cauldron. I used to use a round saucepan!

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.
    I think the other posters have pretty much said it all. I mean, there's some symbolism in the three legs (three faces of the Goddess, mother/father/child, all those other trinities) but I agree that the main thing is the round shape and that it holds something.

The symbolism for a cauldron is usually intended as a womb.

As for the "no food use," it isn't usually because of toxic leaching. It's because it's too small. A proper, full size cauldron would be at least the size of a dutch oven. The quart sized decorative cauldrons are useless as a cooking utensil, but if you want a practical item, look for a potjie or a cast iron beanpot.

Maybe be careful for when you burn/stew non-edible stuffs in said cauldron/dutch oven?

Basically. Cast iron is porous so anything non edible should be done in one and edible in another. Cabala's have real cast iron with no symbols but their dutch ovens are nice.

Perhaps its because I grew up in a family type tradition but my Grandmother would roll over in her grave at the idea of a cauldron that sat on the ground or was concerned with having legs. She always spoke of the kettle or cauldron that hung over the fireplace and how you would fill it then swing it over the fire. That was a cauldron to her and the generations before her not some fancy pot.

While they had Dutch ovens or similiar cast iron things it was always the hanging pot that was used as a cauldron. Initially probably due to the association of it being the primary cooking utensil then later from a symbolic association and kitchen witchary. Yet even today we have dutch ovens when we go camping or into the woods but its still a cauldron that's hung upon a rod and swung over the fire that is the primary cauldron in use.

Personally, I think it is more intent than anything. I've used aluminum pie pans with great success. My cauldron is an old cast iron pot with a lid and a handle. It doesn't have legs. I've never had an issues.

ye do know the whole point of the three legs was to keep it high enough to have coals under it for heat and three legs is stability, right?
    Gardener, Martial Artist, Immortal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast