Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Isnt a cauldron just a dutch oven with legs ?

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    When it comes to Cauldrons on amazon I am not surprised they are not actually made for food use.

There are plenty of them out there that are food safe, though. You just have to go to the online pagan shops and have a look around. They have all kinds of cauldrons, even the ones with the pentagrams. And they can all be used for food if that is your intent.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

In the brad sense of the term, a dutch oven is a type of cauldron. Cauldron is simply a term used to describe a large cast-iron cooking pot. When they have legs, they tend to have three, for stability. Similarly, you can get tripods for camping with your dutch oven.

IMO if it isn't food safe, don't buy it. The symbolism of the cauldron is tied to it's use, if it just for display you might as well use one of those plastic cauldrons for Halloween candy, it would have as much magick.
    Last edited by Vitkyng; November 5th, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canewalker View Post
    So my question is does the cauldron have symbolism in Craft, such as its shape or its three legs or does it symbolize the Goddess in someway or finally am I really just over thinking it ?
    From what I've read, the stereotypical connection between the cauldron and witches is due to Shakespeare's Macbeth. Historically, the European cooking pot (of any variety) was important during the sacrificial feast, which was to be boiled and the rendered fat given to the gods. A large vessel was also used to collect the blood of sacrificial victims which the seers would then divine from and then use to sprinkle blessings on the crowd. Thirdly, the seething of the pot's contents is etymologically linked to seidr, a method of European magic.

So I wouldn't say that the shape of the container is important but rather the utility of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2