Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memory vs intuition

Memory vs intuition

Hi all. I have a pretty good memory and sometimes when doing a reading it feels like I am just rattling off a meaning from a book rather than what my intuition is telling me. About 50% of the time I feel what the cards are saying but the other 50% I can't get my intuition working and the stock standard descriptions just come to mind and I can't seem to get any more than that.

I am by no means an advanced reader and I've only recently started to feel a strong connection with the cards.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks, Grug

I can honestly say, I know exactly what you're talking about.
    I'm new to tarot and through dedicated studying, I'm getting better. 50% of the time -- I'm like... "I totally get this.." and 50% of the time I'm looking at them going "I have no idea what this is." and I regurgitate the collection of meanings I've gathered from other places. I usually blame it on the fact that I can't relate the meaning to the art. That I don't see or agree with what others see in the picture.

Its gotten to the point I'm now DREAMING meanings of cards! Gah!
    I'm very interested to see what seasoned tarot readers can say to make us feel better about it :P Maybe we're just newbs and it comes with time?
    I am... Witchy Woman Incognito
    “Although only breath, words which I command are immortal.” - Sappho

In my experience interpretation of the cards is a combination of both. Taking the "official" meanings of cards and combining them together using intuition to read them. It's why I never pull just one cards, imho it's meaningless by itself.

Grug: When you say you can't get the cards working I suppose it depends on how you view reading the tarot. Personally I think the tarot are a spirit and they don't always chose to share with us. If you're getting nothing perhaps they are declining to answer?

Adalai: Maybe look for a different deck? For the longest time I worked with a deck and it was a struggle. Then I happened across a deck that almost seemed to scream at me it was so clear.

Hi Aynfean. I think it also has a bit to do with my mood. If I have been using logic a lot, like at work or playing chess (poorly), that's when the standard meanings come. But if I'm in a non-logical mood, like reading or listening to music, the intuition comes through and the cards seem to 'talk' to me.

Ooh, it seems like I've just answered my own question lol

Hehe yup that was sort of where I was going with it. I'm not feeling especially eloquent today :P

Quote Originally Posted by aynfean View Post
    Adalai: Maybe look for a different deck? For the longest time I worked with a deck and it was a struggle. Then I happened across a deck that almost seemed to scream at me it was so clear.
    I believe you are right! I had been looking at a new deck because I was drawn to the art, and I decided to go ahead and buy it and dare I say -- I absolutely love it. I'm able to 'step into the card' more so now and really understand what's happening. I'm able to trust myself more with them as well! Thank you for the advice! You were spot on!

Glad I could help! Now I'm curious what deck you had and what deck you use now?

I was learning with the traditional Rider-Waite and I can appreciate it but I'm very shallow when it comes to certain things and the pictures just aren't very.. pretty. They're just blah.. like a cartoon almost to me. So I end up feeling very 2d from it? I guess.
    I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but the one I had been looking at for awhile and decided to buy after your suggestion was the Wizards Tarot. The book has flaws and is elementary, but the artwork on the cards is very appealing to me, rich but not as STRIKING as the yellows and oranges in the Rider-Waite.. a little more muted and subtle? and I have a not-so-secret love for digital painting. Being the emotional Pisces that I am.. the moods were easier to read in this deck as well.

The goal one day is to paint my own. But meh! Till then I'll have to look at other people's pretty artwork :P
    Last edited by Adalai; July 28th, 2011 at 02:12 PM.

As another emotional Pisces I totally get it lol. I use the Mystic Dreamer deck myself. I'm drawn to it party cuz it's pretty and partly cuz the pictures actually speak to me. The book is often times less important than the cards. Once you begin to see the meanings in the cards then the book hardly matters at all, at least in my experience.

For example: If you think that card X means Y for logical reasons and you're doing a reading and the Fates wanted to tell you Y... then they'd give you card X.
    If someone else thinks that card Z means Y and the Fates wanted to tell them Y, they'd give them card Z.

That's how I see it anyways. You're welcome to tell me I'm bonkers, you wouldn't be the first

Ah ha! I've been keeping my eye on the Mystic Dreamer deck as well! How funny!

Your explanation about the cards working for the specific person reading them is very well put Thank you so much for all the help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast