Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Memory vs intuition

Practice makes perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
    Practice makes perfect!
    Yeah, for sure. I've been reading for close to a year now and when I look at where I am now compared to when I first started I know I've come a long way. But being a 'grass is greener' Gemini I tend to get impatient with myself at times lol.

Oh I know what you mean. I've been reading for...7 years and I still have questions (as one always should) and tend to doubt some of my readings.

Yup. I think I'll always tell people I'm "practising." I view it in the same category as witchcraft. It's a craft I'm constantly working on.

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    If I still did it I would do what everyone else does, cold reading...possibly with some hot reading mixed in.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    If I still did it I would do what everyone else does, cold reading...possibly with some hot reading mixed in.
    Could you please explain the terms 'hot reading' and 'cold reading'? I'm not farmiliar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by grug View Post
    Could you please explain the terms 'hot reading' and 'cold reading'? I'm not farmiliar with them.
    the short answer would be it is what John Edward does. A hot reading is when you already have a certain level of knowledge of the person and you use that to make your insight seem that much greater. Cold reading is when you use traits of a person, body language and guessing to figure out a person, focusing on the things you are right about and fast talking through the things you are wrong about. For example, let's say you are doing a reading for a friend and they just got out of a bad relationship and you know they need to get out and have fun to get over their issues. Instead of going off of knowledge of the card or intuition, when the devil comes up you suggest this could mean that it is suggesting that their life may be a little dull and they need to start enjoying all of the craziness life has to offer. That would be a hot reading. A cold reading would be if the death card comes up and you ask the person if they feel like something is coming to an end, or if someone they know is dying, or if they like a tv show that has recently been cancelled that was extremely popular...you are giving them the opportunity to give you more information so you can go from a cold reading to a warm reading. Maybe they don't know anyone or anything dying and they didn't like the tv show, it didn't matter because they did feel like things weren't going well in a relationship. You pretend you never mentioned death or the tv show and you start focusing more on the relationship. In short they are the two biggest tools anyone who claims psychic abilities, con artists, tarot readers, ect. have.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

I didn't mention broad generalities. Such as with the death card just suggesting something of great importance is about to end. You don't know what, or that it is even true, but the person hearing this will apply it to something in their life...kind of how astrology works.

I know just what you mean about which is more important. I was taught by a dear friend, who I have not spoken to in a long time and miss very much, to concentrate on the card itself and get the meaning from what stands out. For example, in a reading that ended up having something to do with money my attention was drawn to a pile of coins (of course the suit was coins too) on one card and a sword stood out on another card (swords suit). There was more to it than that, more things stood out that were not related to the suits of the cards but it was years ago and I don't recall all the details. The point was, she taught me how to see the important aspects of the reading without referencing the book to see what it said the card represented in that situation.

And Gilgamesh wept bitter tears, saying, "He who was my companion through adventure and hardship, is gone forever ..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2