Thread: Kitchen remodel

Kitchen remodel

a couple of months ago we were woke at midnight by the dog barking at the cabinets in the kitchen. it turned out there were two snakes wrapped around the drain pipe under the kitchen sink. plugging all holes snakes could gain entry through led to a kitchen remodel.

upshot is we now have a floor to ceiling pantry 9 1/2 feet long and 18 inches deep, a new cabinet that wraps around into a breakfast bar and a new floor. oh, and i had to rip out two walls to do it.

there is a door from the kitchen into our bedroom with a green man wall hanging (i do leather art). i left 9 inches of one of the walls hanging down from the ceiling that i currently have a dragon door topper hanging from that i made. the plan is seasonal decoration for that section of wall.

two new ceiling fans and lights complete the job.

may not seem like much, but making a space fit is important here. and it has to be space that can change and grow as we do.

our whole place is like that. plants everywhere changing with the seasons. medicinal herbs and food plants growing along side plants that simply please us.
    Gardener, Martial Artist, Immortal

Sounds like a great remodel but I admit I would have FREAKED if I found snakes under the cabinets and I'm not even afraid of them! I'd love to see pics.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

normally i would have shrieked like a little girl and run away, but i was between the snakes and my wife. had to be sure they didn't head towards her ye know. i didn't think to get pictures of them - a little too intent on getting them out of the house. their bodies were about as big around as my forearm, so they were not small snakes. fortunately they were not poisonous. had they been there would have been a 12 gauge hole in my kitchen wall. i seriously do *not* allow poisonous snakes in the house...

Awe... poor snakes... Hope they found a new home. Cool bout the remodel too.
    What am I reading? I don't know yet, you haven't asked a question! Open for readings, but just for fun.

Wait, no, I don't want to see pics of the SNAKES, I want to see pics of the REMODEL!!!

That's funny.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    Wait, no, I don't want to see pics of the SNAKES, I want to see pics of the REMODEL!!!

That's funny.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2833.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	837.3 KB 
ID:	112467

Name:	HPIM2835.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	902.7 KB 
ID:	112468

Name:	Start of new pantry without doors.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	908.5 KB 
ID:	112470

Name:	HPIM2831.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	112469
    here's a couple of pictures during construction. ye can see from the last one that the floor was in desperate need of help.
    Last edited by Ross; August 6th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Nice work Ross. I like the cabinets under the counter... cocktail anyone?

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

more on the remodel.... here is the bar completed. still have the doors to put on the pantry.

Name:	Bar.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	112484

and the front porch needed a new light.

Name:	Photo010.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	112485

The bar looks really nice, very warm and inviting. I also like the open pantry you have in the background - I have a room off my kitchen and I put in those big metal shelf units that are used in restaurants - I like that openness. I'd have preferred it built into the kitchen like yours, though, we just don't have the space for it.

Every front porch should have a dragon!!

R.I.P. MiLo
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10