Thread: "Islam is a religion of Peace." Debate

"Islam is a religion of Peace." Debate

I just stumbled-upon this debate. I watched the whole thing and found the debate very interesting. I am not very well versed in Islam or even the current situation discussed in the debate. It does get me thinking, not only about how Islam is defined but also about other religions.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/26rKJU/vimeo.com/15646170

Thoughts on the debate? Or any of it's ideas?

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeris View Post
    I just stumbled-upon this debate. I watched the whole thing and found the debate very interesting. I am not very well versed in Islam or even the current situation discussed in the debate. It does get me thinking, not only about how Islam is defined but also about other religions.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/26rKJU/vimeo.com/15646170

Thoughts on the debate? Or any of it's ideas?
    Not going to watch all of that but I have a short answer. Like almost all religions there is violence in general, by people of that religion, and against others based on religious beliefs. The Quran does suggest that violence is acceptable in defense of the religion (very short version). With that said, most religions have, for the most part, got away from doctrine based violence. Islam is much more based on the sect or branch of Islam. It seems far worse because Islam also teaches that you should defend other muslims even if they are wrong. While some branches have stepped away from this, many have not (although ironically they often justify violence against other muslims for many other reasons). Like any religion it is all in the message you take. Unfortunately it seems that muslims are quicker to justify violence in the name of religion currently more than any other mainstream religion.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken