Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about major versus minor

Question about major versus minor

Hi!

When u ask a question that only needs a yes/no answer, do you then use the major arcana or both mixed? I do both actually but I am starting to think I should use the mixed ones more than only major, opinions?

Oh and one more thing, i carry my deck in a makeup bag, tiny one used for toilet-things and makeup usually and I havenīt used it for 27 days, can this mess with the energy of the deck? I keep it in a box usually with silk-paper in my bookshelf, I took it out today to cleanse it on my way to work(1 hour 45 minutes on a train), how often does a deck that arenīt used that often need to be cleansed? After every reading or once a month?

Oh and if thereīs an old deck (another one) with one card missing, what can I do with that?

This is a good idea for a deck you have lost cards from:

http://accessnewage.com/articles/tarot/gault1.htm

Reading the I Ching with a Tarot Deck
    by R. T. Gault
    That old tarot deck with the one or two missing cards may be useless for tarot reads but it's pretty nifty for generating an I Ching reading. All that needs to be complete in the tarot deck is one full suit (all 14 cards), 10 of another, 6 of another and 2 of another.
    Click on the link to read how you do it.

Majors are the Universal Archetypes or energies at work on us, the minors represent the more mundane aspects of our lives - that is very simplified. I find for Yes/No I will use The World and The Fool - the Fool meaning No and The World meaning Yes. You can't give them much of a shuffle but move them around, ask your question and see what you get.
    "There is no cry of pain without, at its end, an echo of joy. --Ramón de Campoamor (Spanish poet, 1817-1901)

http://www.tarotcanada.ca

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FutureEndeavours - quarterly newsletter archive.

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    I know a few ways to do yes/no.

1) Pick out 2 majors make one yes and the other no (I use sun = yes. moon = no) shuffle and ask the card flip till one comes up. There is the answer. I like this one the best.

2) Ask your question and ask the cards for a one card yes/no answer. Shuffle and draw one card. If the card is positive it is a yes, negative a no. Example....10 of cups is a yes and 10 of swords is a no. This method is a little problematic with ambiguous cards like the 7 of pentacles or 4 of swords. Also, it is important to remember that the card isn't a meaning with the question, it's just yes/no. So if the question were "is X cheating on me" and the Ace of Cups comes up, that is a yes he is cheating. Not the loving relationship meaning of the ace.

3) Ask your yes/no and ask the cards to tell you with the aces. Shuffle and deal out 3 piles of 12. Each ace is worth 25% the more aces the more likely the yes. I think 1 is no, 2 is maybe, 3 is probably, and 4 is yes.

4) Ask yes/no with even/odd. Say even cards are yes and odd cards are no. This is problematic if you draw the fool which is zero or unnumbered court cards.
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

I've yet to find a question worth asking the tarot that can be boiled down to a yes/no answer. Personally I don't tend to see the world as that much black and white. Usually answers are more along the lines of "no, but..." "yes, if..." etc. It's why people often accuse the cards of being too ambiguous. It's life that's ambiguous, not the cards.

Thanks chaoshawk! I will try them all because they all seemed great and tarotcanada thanks for the advice! i will try that too!:D

Quote Originally Posted by aynfean View Post
    I've yet to find a question worth asking the tarot that can be boiled down to a yes/no answer. Personally I don't tend to see the world as that much black and white. Usually answers are more along the lines of "no, but..." "yes, if..." etc. It's why people often accuse the cards of being too ambiguous. It's life that's ambiguous, not the cards.
    I read professionally and I find that 85% of questions that people ask me are yes/no and pretty cut and dry. "Is so and so going to return my call today? Am I going to be hired at thus and such place? Will I win the bingo jackpot? Is it "worth" asking those questions to the cards....it is to them. They pay real money for those answers though and I would never tell them that it's not worth it. It's their money and their choice.

But I will hold on hope

enter the sanctum

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyria View Post
    Thanks chaoshawk! I will try them all because they all seemed great and tarotcanada thanks for the advice! i will try that too!:D
    Welcome, glad to help

But I will hold on hope

enter the sanctum

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Hawk View Post
    I read professionally and I find that 85% of questions that people ask me are yes/no and pretty cut and dry. "Is so and so going to return my call today? Am I going to be hired at thus and such place? Will I win the bingo jackpot? Is it "worth" asking those questions to the cards....it is to them. They pay real money for those answers though and I would never tell them that it's not worth it. It's their money and their choice.
    I guess that's where different people differ. I'd never consider accepting money for a tarot reading personally. And I tend to revere the cards, not asking them trivial things.

I'm sorry you didn't find my answer helpful Vampyria.

Quote Originally Posted by aynfean View Post
    I guess that's where different people differ. I'd never consider accepting money for a tarot reading personally. And I tend to revere the cards, not asking them trivial things.

I'm sorry you didn't find my answer helpful Vampyria.
    I see it as they are paying me for my time. Just like when I worked in mental health.

But I will hold on hope

enter the sanctum

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Hawk View Post
    I see it as they are paying me for my time. Just like when I worked in mental health.
    I can understand your point. It's just a choice I made a long time ago never to charge for that sort of thing. I wouldn't charge for a spell, potion, advice, cards, etc. The coven I belonged to felt strongly about that and I followed suit after some soul-searching of my own. As I said, it's different for everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast