Thread: The importance of gravestones?

The importance of gravestones?

More of just a thread to see opinions.
    Do you think they actually serve purpose to spirits?
    If you saw a toppled gravestone, would you attempt to put it upright again? (and I say attempt cuz those things are HEAVY!!)
    Fake flowers or no flowers at all?
    Would you try to restore/clean an old gravestone?

First that is a big sig lol

Second, I would attempt to pick one up if I needed too.

No I wouldn't try to restore it because there are ppl out there to do that

I wouldn't put flowers but oils I def would.

I don't think they serve a purpose for the spirits as much for the ppl buried below.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitTigress View Post
    If you saw a toppled gravestone, would you attempt to put it upright again? (and I say attempt cuz those things are HEAVY!!)
    I do think that gravestones serve purposes. Anything with heavy meaning serves a purpose somewhere, and why would we use gravestones unless they had a heavy meaning?
    If I saw a toppled gravestone, I would report it to the groundskeeper, but not attempt to move it myself. Like you said, they're heavy.
    Real flowers. The main graveyard in this area has a strict no-fake-flowers rule, and I think that's wonderful. It keeps the graveyard fresh and respectable. Also sagely. And flowery.
    Absolutely. I've done so on occasion, for those old stones that are starting to sink, or have been covered in grass clippings and forgotten about, etc. I just hope the person buried there wasn't a butthead during his tenure on the earth.
    ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitTigress View Post
    Are they important? I'd say look to the hundreds of ghost stories and hauntings that have been recorded of restless spirits that roamed until they were given proper burial with tombstones to mark the spot. Look at the number of stories of spirits that take something from the living and then its found laying upon or beside the tombstone the next day.

I personally would not try to return a fallen stone to its upright position. I'd report it to the care takers of the cemetery. From a purely mundane aspect if your seen messing with it you become the prime suspect for what happened to it in the eyes of those who witness it. That and if not done properly or if the pedistle is messed up you might do more damage to the stone than if you had simply reported it or left it lay.

Restoration of deralic graveyards is a difficult subject. If it is on land I own then i'd try to keep it up simply from respect on my part. If on land I don't own then it becomes a legal issue of trespassing and such. That really becomes an issue for public graveyards or graveyards now located on national park property. My ancesteral graveyard is almost unreachable as the land was purchased in the 1930's for a public park and the access to it is through hiking through the woods and up into the mountains. So there is not much we can do about it. Yet other graveyards in the same parkway (Shenandoah National Park) are maintained by the descendents of those families where access is still relatively easy.

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    I have to say that a tombstone would be very important to a spirit. Those stones are a way for them to be remembered. Even for a moment. Can you really walk past a gravestone, see the name and not wonder for even a split second who they were? Also, many stones have diffrent signs and symbols so people who can read the stones will take the time to reflect on what that means. As far as fixing a downed stone goes, i'll gladly pick them up as long as it isnt a pillar or a statue. To me it shows a great deal of respect. It's a good deed like helping someone with thier groceries. The spirits deffinatly appreciate it in the same way the living do. You can't always count on the caretakers. For restoration though, i do not posses the nessecary skills to do so.
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

I think it's more of a purpose to the family so they know where to return to "visit". It could also be a way to alert others not to tread on the dead.
    Most cemetaries are haunted in some way. But I think the majority of spirits move on and the most of the others go back to the places of their past trauma or a happy place.
    It's believed that Marilyn Munroes ghost haunts an Ontario vacation spot in cottage country. A place she went to escape the fame and rest. Staff say she was most content because she could just be herself and be left alone. It was happiest place to be. Guest still see her in one particular cottage.