Thread: Do women have strengths that men don't?

Do women have strengths that men don't?

Hi.
    I was just wondering, for those of you drawn to Dianism or Goddess worship, do you believe that women possess any strengths not shared by men, other than childbirth and multitasking, of course. Lol. I've read that women are much better at identifying and basically maneuvering through emotional situations and that they're better negotiators and have really good memory for object-location. But, of course, there are men who can do all these things as well. So, do we all share the same strengths but have them more predominately, most of us, based on gender or does each gender possess its own strengths which are purely unique to either gender? Hope that makes sense. I'm still not sure myself; it seems to me that everytime a woman's particular strength is mentioned, it's only in comparison to a man's, and it's not considered as valuable. Thoughts?
    Chenoa

I think it depends on the person. I know many women who exhibit traditionally "male" qualities, and vice versa. I'm sure there are probably qualities that are more prominent in either gender, but I don't think it's as clear cut as "woman are good at this and men aren't" - there are always exceptions in my experience.

I'm not drawn to Dianism or Goddess worship, but I'd really like to contribute.

In my experiences, women tend to make better seers than men, not because men can't or whatever, there are many famous male seers, but because of the emotional issues that can be presented when seeing things. Many men tend to have a harder time seeing "bad" things happen. For example, every time my husband recieves bad news, he wants to do something about it. If he can't do something about it, it merely serves to upset him and cause him a lot of negative emotions. Women generally tend to be more accepting of things that can't be altered, which is why, in my opinion, they generally make better seers.

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    Women, for the most part, Are a lot better at empathy then men. Most of us have a "Mr.Fixit" complex. Others of us shut down around emotions and pretend that nothings happening. I would definitely consider this a strength. Also, wives posses the odd ability to make us get off the couch at times during NFL games...this is black magic at it's darkest that women posses...
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

Men and women each have strengths inherent in them. Women are better at some things, men at others. Much of this is "nurture" and culture-dependent. There are only a handful of things in life that are truly gender-specific; for example, women experience childbirth. It is not that men aren't as good at it; they simply do not have the chance to do so. Men also have their own mysteries. Neither individual is less of an amazing being because of it.

Life is a balance, awash in complimentary experiences.
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
    Women, for the most part, are a lot better at empathy then men.
    Sometimes, sometimes not. It's really a matter of cultural upbringing. Men and woman aren't inherently more or less empathetic or emotional or connected to the divine. But we are trained by our culture and society to feel certain ways about certain things because of our gender.

Men are obviously, for the most part, physically stronger than women. As a result, I think women have, over the centuries developed better communication and negotiation skills strictly to better deal with men. There have always been the theories that men deal with situations logically while women tend to deal with them emotionally. If you take that theory it plays that women are better able to work thru emotional situations than men.

As for the path and divination, eh well, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other, we each bring our own strengths and weaknesses to the path. The thing is, what many see as strength in women, they see as weakness in men. Yet it's still the same path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    Men and women each have strengths inherent in them. Women are better at some things, men at others. Much of this is "nurture" and culture-dependent. There are only a handful of things in life that are truly gender-specific; for example, women experience childbirth. It is not that men aren't as good at it; they simply do not have the chance to do so. Men also have their own mysteries. Neither individual is less of an amazing being because of it.

Life is a balance, awash in complimentary experiences.

A difference exists in both the biological and social. Since both have an influence on our thinking and working (it's amazingly difficult to ignore one's upbringing and physicality), one can assume a gender-based difference in lots of areas, bias notwithstanding.

Obviously, women are naturally capable of bearing children and nursing them, and over the eons this has led to abominable oppression by men (at least in Western European culture). We can read all about this in our history books, and up to this day, women and men treat each other unequally.

My studies of cultures taught me, that over time, people start to believe what they are being told. So if your society keeps telling you that you are supposed not to cry, you will internalise that and stop crying. The same holds true for a lot of behaviours. (Read Norbert Elias.) It gets such a part of what you believe, that you will not even recognise it, untill someone points it out. Usually it takes a couple of months of immersion in a different country to recognise that a lot of our behaviour is culturally defined.

So yes, there are differences between men and women, both biological and social, and some of those differences differ from one culture to the next, and probably should not exist at all. In the mean time, they do exist, and are ready for application.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

women are naturally capable of bearing children and nursing them, and over the eons this has led to abominable oppression by men

I don't understand the connection there.
    JFGI