Thread: Personality and Soul Cards

Personality and Soul Cards

Today I bought a copy of Mary K. Greer's Tarot for Your Self. I'm working in the section that helps you to determine your personality and soul cards and I'm uncertain already. I'm guessing some people here must be familiar with the book and the method, so maybe a second opinion is in order.

My personality card is definitely 10, Wheel of Fortune. 10+4+1985=1999, 1+9+9+9=28, 2+8=10. What I'm not sure of is if my soul card is also 10 or if I should reduce it to 1. In the book she only gives examples where the personality card is 11 or up. Strange.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

The sources I've read say that both are your soul cards. Mine are Death and The Emperor but I find that I relate more to The Emperor than to Death. I'd suggest studying the cards and finding which you relate to the most.

I tried to figure out mine.... A little confusing though. Help would be appreciated. On the other hand, i found a little calculator for it... here : http://http://www.tarotschool.com/Calculator.html. This states that i am a Moon and Hermit. Which does sound a lot like me and the trials that i constantly face.
    Black Magick Moments.

I put in my birthday and got Death and the Emperor... I don't know if I'd agree with that. It doesn't "sit right". Reading the information they had at http://tarotschool.com/Death_Emperor.html I can see it a little I guess. This might require more soul-searching.
    Last edited by aynfean; October 10th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    I have never used any kind of calculator, but my personal theory is that everyone has 2 cards in the deck. A court card, and a major Arcana. The court card is you, yourself, your personality. The Major is your higher card, your soul card. Normally if you read a few times a court and a major will continually appear. That is how a person is representing in the deck. Also...each deck is different and the cards have different meanings. While you may relate to The Emperor in one deck, pick up another and it's not the same card at all.
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

That book is on my to-read list but I have calculated my cards before and found them to be fairly accurate (The High Priestess and Justice) though I really did just do it for fun it's still offers some food for thought, I think.

That said...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Hawk View Post
    I have never used any kind of calculator, but my personal theory is that everyone has 2 cards in the deck. A court card, and a major Arcana. The court card is you, yourself, your personality. The Major is your higher card, your soul card. Normally if you read a few times a court and a major will continually appear. That is how a person is representing in the deck.
    I have been leaning on the above understanding recently just based on my own experiences and perceptions while working with the cards.
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

Quote Originally Posted by aynfean View Post
    I put in my birthday and got Death and the Emperor... I don't know if I'd agree with that. It doesn't "sit right". Reading the information they had at http://tarotschool.com/Death_Emperor.html I can see it a little I guess. This might require more soul-searching.
    When I first found that mine are Death and The Emperor it didn't feel right, either. I've found that I a very un-organised person who would rather avoid conflict than stick up for myself which seems to me as very un-Emperorish. When I actually make an effort to be organised and not let myself get walked all over I seem to do a lot better at the task at hand than normal. I interpret life journey cards, as I call them, as the skills you have and also need to learn in this lifetime.

The calculator gave me Magician, Wheel of Fortune, and Sun... that was using a different numerological system than Greer's, though. For practical purposes I just decided to focus on Magician and Wheel for now. The Magician is awesome to meditate on.