Thread: 2 Questions about learning Tarot

is offline Solitary Practitioner Of Eclectic Wicca

2 Questions about learning Tarot

I just received my Rider-Waite tarot deck that I ordered off eBay. It did not come with a book. Do you think it's necessary that I get a book to learn about the cards, or is online information sufficient? I know there are a lot of stickies here with free courses, but I'd like to know if it is still worth it to buy a book to learn or if I can get everything I need to know online.

Second, I've seen mention of doing a Tarot Journal to help learn the cards. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can find information on how to do Tarot journaling? Is there some specific things that you should do when keeping this journal? A specific format? Suggested format?

Thanks in advance!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    By the light of the moon and sun,
    May you be blessed where ever you go.
    And always remember to have fun,
    While your mind continues to grow.

SkylarB

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    I always like having a book with me when i do readings just in case i forget one of the (numerous) meanings of cards and i struggle to piece everything together. I have an Alister Crowley Thoth deck that came with a pocket sized book that explains the meanings and the art work and i find it very useful and more convienient then to have a laptop. As far as learning goes, the best way to learn tarot is the way you were able to learn in school. I memorize everything i need to know by repetition. If your a graphic learner, find a symbol in the card to link to it's meaning. If your the "write-it-down" type of person then a journal is a good idea. I've never done it although i'm sure there would be something in CoT. I'm sorry i cant be of much assistance in that respect.
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylarB View Post
    I just received my Rider-Waite tarot deck that I ordered off eBay. It did not come with a book. Do you think it's necessary that I get a book to learn about the cards, or is online information sufficient? I know there are a lot of stickies here with free courses, but I'd like to know if it is still worth it to buy a book to learn or if I can get everything I need to know online.

Second, I've seen mention of doing a Tarot Journal to help learn the cards. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can find information on how to do Tarot journaling? Is there some specific things that you should do when keeping this journal? A specific format? Suggested format?

Thanks in advance!
    I prefer a book, myself. It helped me grow familiar with the cards and also with readings that the authors had done with said cards. I used a Reader's Digest publication because I wanted something that could be referenced without having to constantly cross-reference. I know Reader's Digest makes a serious attempt to be as correct as is possible.

You can definitely get whatever you want online--but remember, the most important thing is to set PERSONAL associations with your cards. The cards will mean what they mean to YOU and you alone. It would be a good idea to start a tarot journal for when you're learning; as for how, and what you should do, why ask other people? Experiment and find out for yourself. It is a personal journey, after all.

(not to be rude)
    ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

A Tarot Journal is a great idea. Mine has two parts. One is a record of readings I do and how I interpret them. The other is my own personal book. Take each card, I usually start with the Fool and work my way through the Major and then Minor Arcana, and really look at it. How does it make you feel, what symbols jump out at you? Then turn the card upside down and do the same thing. There is no right or wrong answer here, it's how YOU see the cards. This then becomes your book of interpretations.

It's interesting to then take a tarot book (you can buy those with or without decks on ebay or at bookstores) and compare how you saw the card to how the book tells it. Remember again there isn't a right or wrong. Reading cards is a really personal thing. How I interpret a card might be different than someone else. The spirits know how you see a card, when they want to tell you something the card that means that to YOU will be the one pulled.

Thank you all for your replies! I think I am going to keep an eye out on eBay for a book, but in the mean time, I'll read stuff online and start a journal. Not to mention handle the cards and start to use them. I already feel a great connection with this deck. I have previously owned the Witch's Tarot, which I'm now missing some of the cards, and the Fairy Oracle, but never ended up doing much with them because they just didn't feel right to me. This deck already seems to pulse in my hand and at every card I look at, it's like I already see some of the meanings. But I'm the type of person that likes some reassurance in the beginning, so I think a book to reference will be best. And I definitely learn better by writing things down, so I think a journal will work good for me. I am a note-taker and a list-maker! LOL!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SkylarB

A good website I use is learntarot.com :3

Quote Originally Posted by StarlitNox View Post
    A good website I use is learntarot.com :3
    Perfect! Thanks so much! I'm heading there now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SkylarB

Quote Originally Posted by SkylarB View Post
    Perfect! Thanks so much! I'm heading there now.
    yw :3
    It's a good place to learn the basics, and they use Raider-Waite deck too, I believe~